Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

View
35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

35. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 7, 2010, 21:07 Kxmode

Creston wrote on Jun 5, 2010, 12:37:
The bears, though, seem to be infinite. :)

Is that why they're the number one threat?!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

34. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 7, 2010, 12:31 Verno

All of those "kill XYZ with a knife" challenges are made infinitely easier abusing the lasso stun thing. Lasso animal for a split second then swap to knife, stabbity stab while it recovers from stun. The 5 wolves one took me forever before I knew that but the cougar and bear ones took about 5 minutes each.  

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

33. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 6, 2010, 11:34 xXBatmanXx

Only the Buffalo become extinct - there are about 20 of them and it is an achievement to kill them all....so I used a save game then reverted after killing them - as I like having them in the game....

I never had a problem hitting them in the head with 1 shot - they move pretty slow.

The hardest thing it he game (until I cheated) was killing a bear with melee. I spent probably 2 hours trying to do it, and when I almost did it with knife only, a second bear jacked me! ugh. So finally I shot the thing in the leg 5 times with a revolver then hit it 2x with knife, jacked the hide and ran for the hills.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

32. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 6, 2010, 02:28 ForgedReality

So let me get this straight: You can make animals extinct in this game?

What possible impact does this have on the gameplay other than creating a resource ceiling and reducing the "charm" of certain areas? Does it have positive/negative impacts on your standing in the game, how others see you, your bonuses, etc?

31. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 5, 2010, 19:17 Creston

Bats,

I did have the buffalo rifle, but it doesn't kill a bear in one shot. (well, it does if you shoot it in the head, but a shot from ANY rifle will kill ANY creature if shot in the head.)

And the slow reload of the BR is quite a detriment when fighting bears. I've gotten ganked a few times while waiting for the damn rifle to reload. Usually I use the semi-auto shotgun, or the 22 shot repeater (forget what it's called.)

The train can be quite fun, yeah. I tend to just ride my horse along the train tracks in Mexico. Which works fine, until the game suddenly spawns the train literally three feet in front of you, while you're in full gallop. SPLAT. Hehe.

I've kept the buffalo alive in my current game, as they add quite a lot of charm to the Great Plains.

The biggest disappointment of the game, in my opinion, is how small the great plains and Tall Trees are. I wish they'd made Mexico 33% smaller and added that land mass to the Great Plains.

Creston

30. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 5, 2010, 17:44 ForgedReality

Can't wait for the PC version.  

29. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 5, 2010, 17:19 xXBatmanXx

Holy crap Creston! You didn't have the Buffalo rifle to one shot those bears? That is pretty impressive. I have had other animals do that to me, and I got bored around 20 or so - so that is major kudos for stickin it out.

I finished the game and am at the 99.5% in game stat. I need to do all of the hideouts in a 24hour in game period.....it is a great game...now playing GTA4..and missing the controls and look of RDR...

I only lost a couple in the first stampede, and lost none later on in the game....

I was taming a horse once....just happened to be on the tracks and we both got smushed....that was probably one of the funniest moments I had.

The Buffalo - I wanted them in my game, so I had an old save and killed them all to get the achievement, then went back to my newer save. I like having them in the game. It was very easy to kill them all with the buffalo rifle - they didn't even get a chance to stampede.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

28. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 5, 2010, 14:03 ForgedReality

http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/3115/destructo1.png

Beat that shit, whores!

--edit--
http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/3531/destructo2.png
Not as high, but farther. :\

This comment was edited on Jun 5, 2010, 15:16.

27. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 5, 2010, 12:43 Creston

Cutter wrote on Jun 4, 2010, 21:41:
Holy shit, Cres...I almost pissed my pants laughing at that. I actually did spew my drink all over on that last shot with all the corpses. Heh, yeah I noticed the game sometimes does get a bit buggy like that. My nemesis seems to be the cougars though. Fucking ninja stealth death cats! I did hit one spot where I killed about 10 of them in row before the last prick killed me from behind. I feel sorta bad killing most of the animals, but the bears and cougars are just asking for it. I wish they hadn't made the wolves such a nuisance. I always feel bad killing them. I love the woofs!

Yeah, I never like killing wolves either, but oh well. If all the wild life in the game behaved as they do in reality, there'd be very little danger from any of them. There's no way a cougar would ever attack a mounted man, nor would wolves ever get near for you.

During my whole bear slaughterfest, there were two beavers constantly staying near me. I guess they figured I would keep them save from the wolves and bears.

Heh, one thing I wished I had on cam was the herding the cattle with uncle mish and I got confused as to what was happening and watched almost all my herd poof into a fine red mist by the train. I laughed my ass off on that one.

Every time a herd stampedes, I lose a bunch of them. I had about 8 nosedive off the cliff in the early missions, and the train killed about six of them.

The one thing where RDR (or the GTA games) could take a page from Alpha Protocol are the RPG style choices. It would have been nice to have options with some key characters to alter the story at points, and it would make for more replayability. Still, hats off to Rockstar for an incredible game.

I imagine they probably would have liked to have done something like that, as well as have a different dialogue path whether you're a hero or an outlaw, but there's already like 8 billion lines of dialogue in the game. Houser and Lazlo probably didn't relish the idea of writing 16 billion.

They need to bring this out on PC WITH an editor. Yeah, I'll but whatever expansions they create for it, but the potential for great missions and addons with the community is just too good to pass up. I'd love to see some stuff more focused around the natives, and have some classic western missions like the gunfight at the OK Corral sort of thing.

I'm definitely buying this again when it hits the PC. I want to see it in 1680x1050 with 4xFSAA and 16xAF. And to have an aiming mechanism where I'm the one shooting things, rather than the game's auto-aim. (I tried expert and just can't get good enough at it.)

Creston

26. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 5, 2010, 12:37 Creston

kxmode wrote on Jun 4, 2010, 17:36:
Thanks to you Creston bears are no longer the number one threat to America! Actually thanks to you they're also extinct.

I did actually kill ALL the buffalo in the game, and it gave me an achievement for that. I felt so fucking guilty.

The bears, though, seem to be infinite.

Creston

25. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 4, 2010, 21:41 Cutter

Holy shit, Cres...I almost pissed my pants laughing at that. I actually did spew my drink all over on that last shot with all the corpses. Heh, yeah I noticed the game sometimes does get a bit buggy like that. My nemesis seems to be the cougars though. Fucking ninja stealth death cats! I did hit one spot where I killed about 10 of them in row before the last prick killed me from behind. I feel sorta bad killing most of the animals, but the bears and cougars are just asking for it. I wish they hadn't made the wolves such a nuisance. I always feel bad killing them. I love the woofs!

Heh, one thing I wished I had on cam was the herding the cattle with uncle mish and I got confused as to what was happening and watched almost all my herd poof into a fine red mist by the train. I laughed my ass off on that one.

The one thing where RDR (or the GTA games) could take a page from Alpha Protocol are the RPG style choices. It would have been nice to have options with some key characters to alter the story at points, and it would make for more replayability. Still, hats off to Rockstar for an incredible game.

They need to bring this out on PC WITH an editor. Yeah, I'll but whatever expansions they create for it, but the potential for great missions and addons with the community is just too good to pass up. I'd love to see some stuff more focused around the natives, and have some classic western missions like the gunfight at the OK Corral sort of thing.

It's nice to finally have a successor to Outlaws. I can only hope it doesn't take too long to get the expansions out for it and RDR2. Rockstar and Blizzard, damn these guys just have a license to mint money.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

24. Re: Nuclear Option Jun 4, 2010, 18:06 jimnms

Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 4, 2010, 11:30:
How deep was the water when the Russians did it? How deep was the drilling under the sea floor?

Please tell me you had the sarcasm bit on for, "The radiation levels from a small atomic bomb are nothing..."

We've never detonated a nuclear bomb that far underwater, and we don't really know the geology that well -- seems like a major risk to me. Especially considering there was an oil leak just like this 31 years ago which I'd never even heard of until this one. It leaked for nine months.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ixtoc_I_oil_spill
The nuke would not be detonated in the water, and the wells the Russians fixed this way were all above ground wells. It would work the same way though. They only resorted to the nuke after all other options failed. Well the first time they did, after that it was like; "hey the nuke worked so well last time, lets just skip all the other methods and just nuke this one too."

The first time they used it, the conventional methods of plugging the well caused the pressure to build up and blow the well out underground. Gas began leaking up through the ground all around the well site. The only thing left was to seal the well underground below hard bedrock where the gas couldn't penetrate.

They drilled a hole and placed the nuke far underground near the well and filled the hole with cement before detonating it. The heat and pressure from the nuclear explosion heats the rock and compresses the well shut, then it cools and is sealed. Since the nuclear blast takes place deep underground, the radiation is contained underground.

DG wrote on Jun 4, 2010, 14:08:
It's looking like they've been successful with the containment cap which will syphon off much of the leak, while the permanent fix is the relief wells being drilled (which will basically be a functioning well that takes over the flow and pressure, so the leaking one can be plugged relatively easily).
I don't know what's happening with the cap and suck deal, but read this morning that the diamond cutter got stuck and they resorted to just snipping it off with that big cutter thing. Since the cut wasn't smooth, they don't have a good seal around the cap and oil is still leaking.

Getting some of it is better than none of it, but what happens when a storm heads for the area? That ship that is sucking the oil is going to have to leave, letting the oil flow freely again. We've also just entered hurricane season, if a hurricane decides to head over there, that will really fuck shit up.

They're saying it will be August before the first relief well is complete, and that is assuming they hit their target on the first try (which has never happened). If they miss, they have to back the drill out, fill that hole in and try again.

MeanJim on Steam

23. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 4, 2010, 17:36 Kxmode

Thanks to you Creston bears are no longer the number one threat to America! Actually thanks to you they're also extinct.  

22. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 4, 2010, 17:33 Creston

MTechnik wrote on Jun 4, 2010, 13:40:
There wasn't a game sale thread to throw this in - Supreme Commander 2 had a price drop to $22 and is on sale on steam for 50% off - $11.99 supcom2.

And they had a patch yesterday - http://supcom2.wikia.com/wiki/Game_Updates

Thanks for the heads up. 11 bucks is a good price to pay for this game.

Creston

21. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 4, 2010, 16:45 Diabolus in Musica

nin wrote on Jun 4, 2010, 16:14:
Fun read, Creston!

You actually wasted your time reading that? Lol, wow.

That Creston kid needs to pretend this is twitter. He should be posting, not writing a fucking novel.

20. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 4, 2010, 16:14 nin

Fun read, Creston!

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

19. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 4, 2010, 15:56 Creston

Speaking of RDR...

I am Death, Destroyer of Bears!

I decided I was going to hunt some grizzlies in Tall Trees. Shot one, then got Sam Fisher ganked by another (those fuckers can be SO fucking sneaky!)

So the game respawns me at the Tall Trees location where you normally camp (why it didn't respawn me at Manzanita Post, my nearest house, I have no idea.)

In view are my horse, and two freaking grizzly bears. I kill them both, skin one. I hear that tell-tale pant behind me, so I quickly turn around, and shoot another one just INCHES away from me.

Before skinning another one, I decide to look around, make sure there's no other bears. Oh, there's another, coming at me like a fucking freight train. Two shotgun blasts in his beak give him other ideas, and he drops. A quick scan reveals no further bears, so I skin the second bear. I hear a large roar, and turn around to see another grizzly, followed by yet another one. Dear Lord...

Several shots later, and it's starting to get quite crowded. I skin another bear, and while skinning I see yet another one. I thought grizzlies were solitary creatures??

Skin, shoot, shoot another one, shoot another one, skin, shoot two more, and I realize I'm shooting more grizzlies than I have time to actually SKIN. I tell my wife to make a pic.

http://i461.photobucket.com/albums/qq332/Creston918/P6030090.jpg

(quality is kinda shitty, my camera doesn't like taking pics of TV images, it seems.)

Anyways, with a dozen bears killed, I figure that's got to be it, right?

No.

Three more grizzlies charge, all in one screen. I take them out with a single dead-eye and 5 bullets from my bolt action rifle. No trophy, sadly.

It's starting to look like a frigging bear graveyard.

http://i461.photobucket.com/albums/qq332/Creston918/P6030094.jpg

I joke to my wife that if this keeps up, I'll have to start piling the corpses on top of one another.

More grizzlies, apparently pissed off at my blatant anti-PETA like behavior, charge into the fray, and I take them all out. I'm guzzling tonics and snake oil like it's going out of style (since taking on multiple grizzlies without dead-eye is too hairy for my taste), and I skin bears whenever I get a few seconds to do so.

I get a group of four bears to fall almost right on top of each other, but the quality of the pic I took is too bad to really see.

A few boars decided to get in the mix and promptly got themselves shot, and the game happily kept spawning bears. Eventually I had so many skinned corpses lying around that they began disappearing. I think the PS3 can only draw 40 or 50 corpses in one screen before it starts to run out of memory or something. It even made a few unskinned bears vanish, which was annoying. That's 70 bucks worth of loot!

Eventually I had so many corpses that I was pretty much safe from approaching bears. Since nothing in the game can actually STEP over a dead body, the bears had to try to navigate around the corpses, which just made them easy targets.

Several packs of wolves decided to play too, attacking both myself AND the bears, and I escaped one hairy moment where I had a wolf biting my leg while a bear was charging me :o. The kill animation for the bear was the "Shotgun Blast to the Head" one, so it got damn close.

Finally the game seemed to give up. It'd spawn single bears, and I managed to skin all of them that were left. I was out of snake oil, out of tonics, I had one moonshine and two chewing tobacco left, and I was getting bored, so I decided to get on my horse and haul ass out of there. Sold the 94 skins, meats, claws and hearts in Escalera for around 6K, so it was quite a productive hour.

here's a few pics of how everything looked in the latter stages:

http://i461.photobucket.com/albums/qq332/Creston918/P6030096.jpg

http://i461.photobucket.com/albums/qq332/Creston918/P6030102.jpg (best quality pic.)

http://i461.photobucket.com/albums/qq332/Creston918/P6030104.jpg

I love this game. Hehe.

Creston

This comment was edited on Jun 4, 2010, 16:01.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 4, 2010, 15:21 Verno

Some dude tried to duel me in RDR, it went something like this:

"Hey gringo I hear youre the fast but you dare duel me?"

Marston's priceless response:

"Sure, I've got time to kill..you"

They did an awesome job with the script and voice acting in that game, it's just superb.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 4, 2010, 15:11 Cutter

Heh, I love that line in RDR from the Mexican Ceasar mission when Marston says, "Maybe you just need to take a piss or somethin'."

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

16. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 4, 2010, 14:53 Verno

Also, as the article pointed out too, the people claiming at that the Russians "used nukes to seal spills" ignore the fact that those occurred on land and didn't actually involve oil.  

35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo