Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Activision on Developer Relations

Activision Talks Independent Games Competition on Industry Gamers interviews Activision's Laird Malamed about Activision's Indie Games Competition. This topic spurred discussion of Activision's developer relations in light of the exodus of Infinity Ward developers following the firings of Vince Zampella and Jason West. Activision's Senior Vice President of Development comments on the situation: "I think that our record overall speaks for itself. Weíve had an independent game development culture since Raven, our first external studio that came on board; they joined in 1997 and we had a 10-year anniversary with them back in 2007. Bobby Kotick talked about how the model came out of that acquisition when working with Raven, and letting people run their own shops. We have a dozen or so developers operate on that principle," he said. "On the same token, I look at the deal we just did with Bungie in Seattle, and that to me is evidence that we are doing stuff right. They feel comfortable in trusting us to produce their products with them. Thatís a pretty big catch; thatís a triple-A team, and thatís really our goal to have triple-A teams."

View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. Re: Activision on Developer Relations Jun 3, 2010, 16:58 Capitan

I will not buy anything that Raven have had in their hands. A bunch of useless profit hungry retards....  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: Activision on Developer Relations Jun 3, 2010, 07:05 Mr. Tact

Then it'll just be a race to see who can put five blades in their razor first.
I have long marvelled at this product. At both the fact it was ever created and that it continues to sell. Clearer evidence of the presence of people as sheep is difficult to identify.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

11. Re: Activision on Developer Relations Jun 3, 2010, 04:54 Shadowcat

thatís a triple-A team, and thatís really our goal to have triple-A teams.
Is anyone else irritated by that phrase? How long before someone starts calling themselves quadruple-A quality, and everyone else does the same so that they don't look bad? Then it'll just be a race to see who can put five blades in their razor first.

(Hey Blue... your comment validation complains that long URLs are too long, and should be broken down into smaller "words".)

10. Re: Activision on Developer Relations Jun 2, 2010, 23:10 Cutter

'We're all one big team here. Even though the division of labour and recompense is quite fuedal in practice.'
- Bob 'the Knob' Kotick

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

9. Re: Activision on Developer Relations Jun 2, 2010, 21:08 Sepharo

toranaga wrote on Jun 2, 2010, 17:42:
thecakeisalie wrote on Jun 2, 2010, 12:27:
As always, lube is optional

It's Activision we're talking about, lube is prohibited, sandpaper condoms mandatory.

Grody.

8. Re: Activision on Developer Relations Jun 2, 2010, 17:42 toranaga

thecakeisalie wrote on Jun 2, 2010, 12:27:

It's Activision we're talking about, lube is prohibited, sandpaper condoms mandatory.

7. Re: Activision on Developer Relations Jun 2, 2010, 16:14 JoeNapalm

"These newfangled dev whippersnappers with their dungarees, rock-and-roll music, and foosball tables!"

Here's a little sunlight for ya, Bobby:

"I don't think it is specific to video games. I think that if you look at how much volatility there is in the economy and, dependent upon your view about macroeconomic picture and I think we have a real culture of thrift. And I think the goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks that we brought in to Activision 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games."

"I think we definitely have been able to instill the culture, the skepticism and pessimism and fear that you should have in an economy like we are in today. And so, while generally people talk about the recession, we are pretty good at keeping people focused on the deep depression."

-- Bobby Kotick, Deutsche Bank Securities Technology Conference 2009

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

6. Re: Activision on Developer Relations Jun 2, 2010, 15:14 CythrawL

As long as Bobby Kotick, is in charge of Activision, there is no Developer Relations. Its a matter of him holding the whip and enforcing Activisions "culture" upon them! No PR Lackey of the company will convince me otherwise. Now if the headline said, Bobby Kotick, steps down, tries to rebuild Developer Relations, then that would be a different kettle of fish!  

5. Re: Activision on Developer Relations Jun 2, 2010, 14:45 Tumbler

Thatís a pretty big catch; thatís a triple-A team, and thatís really our goal to have triple-A teams.

I hope they have some stuff to show at E3 because I'm very curious what bungie will be doing in the future.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

4. Re: Activision on Developer Relations Jun 2, 2010, 14:01 Nameless Again

I hate corporate speak. So disingenuous.  

3. Re: Activision on Developer Relations Jun 2, 2010, 12:27 thecakeisalie

nin wrote on Jun 2, 2010, 10:58:

Activision on Developer Relations: "We try to fuck them all in the ass equally!"

2. Re: Activision on Developer Relations Jun 2, 2010, 11:02 PropheT

When Kotick makes a comment about wanting to take the fun out of game development, It kind of makes it so that you have to take any statement afterward about letting people run their own shops with a grain of salt.  

1. Re: Activision on Developer Relations Jun 2, 2010, 10:58 nin

Activision on Developer Relations: "We try to fuck them all in the ass equally!"

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo