Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

To follow-up on the whole tree situation I outlined last week, we have had to postpone the removal of the two trees from our yard. As it turns out, we will need a permit from our village to remove a living tree within three feet of the property line, which describes the mulberry tree destroying our neighbor's fence. We already had the village engineer out to discuss the situation, and it is pretty much a formality, but this has also given us the chance to reconsider the plan to take down the nearby wounded maple tree (which would not require a permit). We have a recommendation for an arborist to have a look at the tree to confirm it is a lost cause (though we are fairly certain it is), but unless he tells us it is in danger of coming down immediately, we are going to try and forestall cutting it down until after the summer to give bird broods in the tree the chance to grow up enough to give them the chance of surviving the loss of their habitat.

On a semi-related note, I spotted a Blue Jay nest in another tree out there yesterday, and got to watch the hatchlings being fed close up (trying to keep enough distance to avoid disturbing anyone), which was a treat.

Nesting Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: Chubby Ninja. Not to be confused with a ninja chubby.
Hello Worlds.
Links: Seinfeld Turns 20.
A Detailed Account Of The Greatest Sorority Party Ever.
New Eco-Friendly Cigarettes Kill Destructive Human Beings Over Time.
Stories: Placing the Blame as Students Are Buried in Debt.
Do your colleagues look better on Mondays? Thanks Boing Boing.
Man With No Arms, Legs to Swim English Channel. Thanks theAntiELVIS.
Science: Satellite gap fuels climate, weather monitoring worry.
Close encounter with a bizarre venomous beast.
Under the Waves, a Deep Unknown. Thanks j.c.f.
Media: Steve Irwin Was A Clumsy F**ker.
Meanwhile In The IT Department…
Auction: Aston Martin from James Bond Movies May Hit the Auction Block. Thanks Neutronbeam.
The Funnies: xkcd- Worst-Case Scenario. LOL.
DRM explained. Thanks Digg.
Brevity.
Follow-up: The Claim - Rosemary Helps Reduce Toxins in Grilled Meat. Thanks j.c.f.
The Truth About Cat and Dog Food. Comparing crap to worse crap. Thanks j.c.f.
Gulf oil spill: US begins criminal investigations.

View
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

28. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 4, 2010, 03:59 xXBatmanXx

Can you imagine the shit storm (20x bigger than this) if this was a US based company off of the shores of some other nation?  

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 3, 2010, 14:16 nin

Here's another great one:

BP rep Randy Prescott: “Louisiana isn't the only place that has shrimp.”

And the good news just won't stop! http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2010/06/gulf-oil-could-spread-to-atlantic-coast/

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

26. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 3, 2010, 14:11 nin

On April 29, The New York Times reported that Hayward, apparently exasperated, turned to fellow executives in his London office and asked, “What the hell did we do to deserve this?"

On May 30, Hayward was less bullish and decided to play the sympathy card. He told the Today show that "there’s no one who wants this over more than I do. I would like my life back."

On May 31, he told the world that ecosystem-threatening underwater oil plumes—consisting of droplets of partially dissolved oil suspended in water that many scientists have observed—do not exist. He said simply, "There aren't any plumes."

On June 1, Hayward responded to claims that cleanup workers were being sickened by the fumes from the oil they were exposed to by suggesting another possible, non-oil-spill cause. When nine workers fell ill, according to Yahoo News, he told CNN that "food poisoning is clearly a big issue."

What Not to Say When Your Company Is Ruining the World via Newsweek

25. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 3, 2010, 07:15 Mr. Tact

kxmode, only time will tell. It's possible BP will live up to the PR they are currently producing. Personally, I wouldn't bet money on it. But then, I am an self-confessed cynic. So....  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

24. Re: xkcd- Worst-Case Scenario Jun 3, 2010, 04:19 theAntiELVIS

While it seems pretty obvious if BP had a pooch they'd be screwing it, I wonder how many other oil companies have deep underwater wells like this, and how they would do? Probably just as poorly because they never should have been drilling that far down to begin with.

We need a new rule: if a person can't dive in and reach the thing on 1/2 lungful of air, you can't drill there.

-tAE-

23. Re: Man With No Arms, Legs to Swim English Channel Jun 3, 2010, 04:06 theAntiELVIS

It would have been so perfect, wouldn't it? As I read the story I kept repeating to myself "Please, God, let his name be Robert" - but God denied me this.

Stupid God.

-tAE-

22. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 2, 2010, 23:14 Cutter

No Into the Black?

Oh no, not me
I never lost control
You're face to face
With The Man Who Sold The World

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

21. Re: xkcd- Worst-Case Scenario Jun 2, 2010, 22:24 Kxmode

One more video worth watching: Kent Wells Tour 14 May, 2010  

20. Re: xkcd- Worst-Case Scenario Jun 2, 2010, 19:49 nin

don't want to seen as some sort of enemy on this site

You're expressing your opinion, no harm done.

19. Re: xkcd- Worst-Case Scenario Jun 2, 2010, 19:23 Kxmode

I'm not going to defend BP anymore. I don't want to seen as some sort of enemy on this site, simply because I don't want to jump onboard the BP bashing train. All I will say is that before you pass judgment I think you should watch the Kent Wells Technical Update - 31 May 2010 video, and then tell me if you still think they're "failing to clean up." That's all.  

18. Re: xkcd- Worst-Case Scenario Jun 2, 2010, 18:53 The PC Warrior

kxmode wrote on Jun 2, 2010, 16:25:
\

Come on nin. You know me. I'm no shill. Playing the blame game doesn't fix problems. BP has already assume full responsibility and acknowledges they are at blame. But it also looks like they're moving rapidly to fix the problem. They're also going to pay for everything.

they dont get points for attempting and failing to clean up something they caused and are obligated to take care of, both by law and morally in the publics eye.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 2, 2010, 18:15 Hump

Eco-Blue saves the birds, the trees AND runs a gamesite.

All hail Eco-BLUE!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

16. Re: xkcd- Worst-Case Scenario Jun 2, 2010, 17:18 Kxmode

Our world in inundated with negativity. I’m of the mindset that there are solutions to everything. Instead of the government taking on the role of clean up (I think this would be a colossal disaster) it is being spearheaded by the private sector. I am glad for that. BP’s ass is on the line and they know it. To me it looks like they’re busting their balls to get their spill under control. I guess you could say it is a kind of glass is half full (of oil) optimism.

This comment was edited on Jun 2, 2010, 18:11.

15. Re: xkcd- Worst-Case Scenario Jun 2, 2010, 16:40 nin

Enjoy the kool-aide then.

14. Re: xkcd- Worst-Case Scenario Jun 2, 2010, 16:37 Kxmode

nin wrote on Jun 2, 2010, 16:27:
""It's a relatively small leak compared to the volume of water in the Gulf... Come on, this is America, there will be frivolous lawsuits." – BP CEO Tony Hayward.

True and true.

13. Re: xkcd- Worst-Case Scenario Jun 2, 2010, 16:36 Capella

Fuck BP. I will never buy another drop of gas from them just as I have not bought from Exxon since the Valdez. If this keeps up I will have to go buy a new bike. And that is not a bad idea anyway.  

"Yeah everyone's gotta have the sickness
Cause everyone seems to need the cure"

12. Re: xkcd- Worst-Case Scenario Jun 2, 2010, 16:27 nin

I'm no shill.

Well it sure sounded like an ad.

They're also going to pay for everything.

We'll see. But I seriously doubt that.

edit:
""It's a relatively small leak compared to the volume of water in the Gulf... Come on, this is America, there will be frivolous lawsuits." – BP CEO Tony Hayward.

This comment was edited on Jun 2, 2010, 16:35.

11. Re: xkcd- Worst-Case Scenario Jun 2, 2010, 16:25 Kxmode

nin wrote on Jun 2, 2010, 16:14:
They pay you to post that?

Edit: I think we should shoot a BP exec for every day it's not fixed. I predict they'll have it done in under a week, with that mandate in place.

Come on nin. You know me. I'm no shill. Playing the blame game doesn't fix problems. BP has already assume full responsibility and acknowledges they are at blame. But it also looks like they're moving rapidly to fix the problem. They're also going to pay for everything.

10. Re: xkcd- Worst-Case Scenario Jun 2, 2010, 16:14 nin

They pay you to post that?

Edit: I think we should shoot a BP exec for every day it's not fixed. I predict they'll have it done in under a week, with that mandate in place.

9. xkcd- Worst-Case Scenario Jun 2, 2010, 15:55 Kxmode

Good stuff! Michael Bay and oil never mix!

On a side note I had a chance to visit the BP Gulf of Mexico response website and found two videos very informative. I realize there's a bit of PR damage control in play, nevertheless the information presented is informative and adds a lot of context to what's happening in the region.

Kent Wells Technical Update - 31 May 2010
Kent discusses the current short, medium and long term goals (worth noting BP is developing and building new technology for this incident). He also explains why he feels the LMRP failed.

Oil Spill Training - 22 May 2010
They're hiring as well as filling volunteer positions from locals in the communities.

Also worth noting under the Oil Pollution Act of 1990 (Exxon-Valdez anyone?) BP's liability would be limited to $75 million. However according to this article on BusinessInsurance.com 'BP CEO Tony Hayward, who has said the firm will honor “all legitimate claims” related to the spill, called the liability limit “irrelevant.” In a letter to administration officials, BP said it would pay for all cleanup and remediation “costs and damages, regardless of whether the statutory liability cap contained in the Oil Pollution Act applies,” Interior Secretary Ken Salazar said last week.

By the end of both videos, as well as that article piece, I get the overall sense that BP really is trying their best to get the handle on the situation. They acknowledge they fucked up and they're doing everything they can to make things right. I think people should give them a little slack for their efforts.

This comment was edited on Jun 2, 2010, 16:01.

28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo