Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Mass Effect Multiplayer?

A post on Game Blend cites a LinkedIn posting by EA recruiter Jeff Goldstein strongly suggesting that multiplayer support will be part of the future of the Mass Effect series of science fiction RPGs. Jeff's profile does have a note from a few weeks ago saying a Senior Multiplayer Engineer is one of the openings at BioWare Montréal, but Blend also has an image of a listing (which we cannot find on LinkedIn) calling for a "Multiplayer Programmer (Mass Effect Franchise)."

View
21. Re: Mass Effect Multiplayer? May 29, 2010, 22:45 Jerykk

So breaking up the entire Quarian fleet into opposing factions wasn't a meaningful consequence of a choice? What exactly would a meaningful consequence be?

Something that has an impact on the player, the main story or perhaps repercussions in ME3? All of the big choices you made in ME1 ended up being footnotes in ME2. Forgettable and anticlimactic cameo appearances (or e-mails), really.

A good example of a meaningful consequence would be the annihilation of the Necropolis in FO1. If you killed the Super Mutants occupying the town, they would later retaliate by killing all the ghouls, which in turn removed any quests they would have provided you.

How has Mass Effect ever compared itself to any of those games?

By calling itself an RPG?

How exactly would gameplay like that fit into Mass Effect? Your character is a war veteran and trained soldier. You think it would be feasible for him/her to turn into some kind of whimpy mastermind?

I think that's kind of the point. A true RPG wouldn't force you to be a war veteran and trained soldier. Those would simply be some choices amongst many others. You'd decide the role you want to play. Ideally, you'd be able to choose the race as well.

The roleplaying centers on the type of character you want your hero to be. And there are neutral options in conversations as well. The roleplaying aspect strongly encourages you to choose either paragon or renegade courses of action, but there is nothing stopping you from doing whichever one more suits your concept of your hero. Or even doing nothing and letting things take their own course.

Neutral options are completely and utterly worthless in ME2. The game very clearly wants you to be either 100% Paragon or Renegade, as that's the only way to unlock the best dialogue options. Neutrality provides no benefits whatsoever. However, even the supposedly stark opposite choices you can make have the same results. For example, if a party member is angry at you, you get three choices:

1) Paragon: Be nice/sympathetic and persuade the companion to chill out.
2) Neutral: Try and fail to persuade the companion to chill out.
3) Renegade: Be tough/mean and persuade the companion to chill out.

At no point in ME2 did I ever have to actually stop and think about my choices. I was playing a Paragon character so I always chose the blue option. That's the inevitable result of using a binary morality system and offering benefits to sticking to one side.

Just because there aren't 6 or 7 choices for every dialogue branch, doesn't mean that the game is any less entertaining. And in the end, that's what I want. Entertainment.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I thought ME2 was entertaining too... as an action/adventure game. But if I were to judge it as an RPG, it would be pretty terrible.

Previous Post Next Post Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Date Subject Author
  1. May 29, 15:19 Re: Mass Effect Multiplayer? BobBob
  2. May 29, 15:35 Re: Mass Effect Multiplayer? Acleacius
  16. May 29, 19:41  Re: Mass Effect Multiplayer? MattyC
  3. May 29, 15:49 Re: Mass Effect Multiplayer? ldonyo
  4. May 29, 15:57  Re: Mass Effect Multiplayer? VoodooV
  5. May 29, 16:19 Re: Mass Effect Multiplayer? Hump
  6. May 29, 16:41 Re: Mass Effect Multiplayer? Dr. D. Schreber
  7. May 29, 17:07 Re: Mass Effect Multiplayer? ForgedReality
  8. May 29, 17:19 Re: Mass Effect Multiplayer? Trevellian
  9. May 29, 17:53  Re: Mass Effect Multiplayer? Flatline