Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Shogun 2: Total War Revealed?

A since-removed post on Turkish website Oyungezer, if accurate, reveals that Shogun 2: Total War is the new installment in the Total War series being teased by a countdown on the Totalwar.com (which currently reads 1744). Before its deletion, the post indicated they had an E3 appointment to be shown Shogun 2: Total War by SEGA Europe, reports Kotaku. The original Shogun: Total War was released in 2000, kicking off this series of large-scale, military real-time tactics games. Update: A purported copy of the press release announcing the game is posted on Rock, Paper, Shotgun.

View
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

25. Re: Shogun 2: Total War Revealed? Jun 4, 2010, 04:28 eRe4s3r

Uhm, the roots of shogun eh. So you want 3 character classes instead of 3 character classes (in empires).

I don't think you remember shogun very well ;p

Wait, did i just gravedig this topic? ^^

I sure as hell hope they fix the retarded navy battles though, if the naval battles in shogun 2 work the same way as in empires i am not going to buy it. Anything beyond 3 ships is essentially unmanageable and auto-resolve is more like random dice throws than auto-resolve

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. Re: Shogun 2: Total War Revealed? May 29, 2010, 11:17 DG

I really enjoyed Shogun and for me, with the exception of some of the combat mechanics, it went sharply downhill from there.

It's the world map stuff I don't like. Shogun was relatively simple and fun, setting the playboard for the battles which are the meat of the game. The later games seemed overly complicated and not in a fun/satisfying way like, say, Civ.

23. Re: Shogun 2: Total War Revealed? May 29, 2010, 06:06 Golwar

Well I doubt that the people complain because they don't like the era. I loved TW, with Rome and Shogun being my favorites. I bought Empire and was hugely disappointed. And Empire surely isn't my only strategy game playing in this era. It simply lost flair compared to other parts of the series, it had serious flaws till 1.5 and some still remain and are only fixed by Darth Mod and others.

Than there are promised features that never made into the game. But what annoys me by far the most (no, not Steamworks - I'm fine with that): their crippled (better said non-existent) support for mods.

Hell, I don't keep Rome and Medieval 2 on my hd, for playing vanilla! It's all about the mods. When CA will still abandon those developers with Shogun 2 either, I simply won't care what else they do with the game.

22. Re: Shogun 2: Total War Revealed? May 29, 2010, 04:38 Prez

Agreed. Different strokes and all.

It helps to be a huge fan of the horse and musket era, as I am.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

21. Re: Shogun 2: Total War Revealed? May 29, 2010, 04:25 Rossafur

Boring to you, maybe.
I've had a blast with them, as with every other TW game.

20. Re: Shogun 2: Total War Revealed? May 29, 2010, 01:43 Surf

It may be boring true, because so far the Empire and Napoleon TW games are boring.  

19. Re: Shogun 2: Total War Revealed? May 29, 2010, 01:39 Prez

No one is doing WW1 because major part of WW1 was trench warfare.. which would be utterly boring to play. Mainly because trench warfare involved sitting in a trench, and shooting at another trench for months and after these months, noticing that all your shells have hit 200m in front of the trench and repeating the process, of course not without sending thousands of people running over the open and dieing again and again without reason.

While trench warfare was a large part of the war, what most people don't know is that WW1 saw a lot of dynamic engagements that were critical in the outcome of the war. May I suggest those of you who wish to learn more and watch a great movie while your at it to rent or buy "The Lost Battalion" (2001) starring Ricky Shroeder (who puts in a scintillating performance I might add).

There is no doubt in my mind that a WW1 game if done right could be positively brilliant. There are reasons why WW1 by and large has not been a big draw for developers, but they have little to do with the engagements not being dynamic or critical enough.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

18. Re: Shogun 2: Total War Revealed? May 28, 2010, 23:37 eRe4s3r

No one is doing WW1 because major part of WW1 was trench warfare.. which would be utterly boring to play. Mainly because trench warfare involved sitting in a trench, and shooting at another trench for months and after these months, noticing that all your shells have hit 200m in front of the trench and repeating the process, of course not without sending thousands of people running over the open and dieing again and again without reason.

So yeah, Shogun 2 better not be replacing Geisha's or Ninjas ^^

17. Re: Shogun 2: Total War Revealed? May 28, 2010, 20:07 Surf

WW1 would be a good next installment as well as no one seems to do that time period.

CA won't even go to WW2 and beyond as many other games, starting with Company of Heroes, owned WW2.

16. Re: Shogun 2: Total War Revealed? May 28, 2010, 19:18 Prez

Jesus there are some haters here. The Total War series is my favorite game series of all time. I've spent hundreds of hours with each one and loved them all, as they are all fantastic. (Well, except for Napoleon, which I just got so I only have about a dozen hours with ).

As far as the next one, I'll be buying it regardless of what theater it is, because these games are uniformly excellent. Shogun 2 would be most welcome, as there really is nothing quite like the Feudal Japan era. Happy days.

- Mahatma Gandhi

15. Re: Shogun 2: Total War Revealed? May 28, 2010, 18:36 Muscular Beaver

Divebomb wrote on May 28, 2010, 14:24:
still going to use steamworks I guess. not bothered

Doesnt Empire also use GFWL?
lol...

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

14. Re: Shogun 2: Total War Revealed? May 28, 2010, 18:12 Scottish Martial Arts

S2M wrote on May 28, 2010, 14:04:
I wonder if this will be the Total War that fucking works instead of the last two abortions.

Seriously. Shipping with some AI for once would be a nice improvement. I remember reading that they have just 1 programmer working on the AI for their games. Just 1! It certainly shows.

13. Re: Shogun 2: Total War Revealed? May 28, 2010, 17:50 Surf

This is second only to Rome TW 2 which to me Rome was the best of the series. But Shogun is an immediate second!

"Get rid of all this overly complicated crap that's infested all the TWs since"

I agree that the game gets to a point where the micromanagement is nearly impossible to follow and become uninteresting. The inability to assign tasks to certain character like ambassadors is a pain in the ass. Fucking go and get negotiations you idiots do I have to move you each time?

The ship combat was nice looking but after playing 5 rounds of it I always chose auto resolve.

Dunno but TW after Rome just started sucking and I can name a few reasons why but lately its REALLY bad. I actually can't bring myself to start a new game because I hate it so much, except for the combat screens now.

12. Re: Shogun 2: Total War Revealed? May 28, 2010, 16:07 Wolfen

Creston wrote on May 28, 2010, 15:30:
Awesome, but I hope it goes back to the roots of Shogun, and not just the setting. Get rid of all this overly complicated crap that's infested all the TWs since. Spies here, missionaries there, ambassadors there, ninjas here, counter-spies there, etc etc etc. Ugh. Let me build armies and fight.

Creston

Totally with you on that one man!

11. Re: Shogun 2: Total War Revealed? May 28, 2010, 15:30 Creston

Awesome, but I hope it goes back to the roots of Shogun, and not just the setting. Get rid of all this overly complicated crap that's infested all the TWs since. Spies here, missionaries there, ambassadors there, ninjas here, counter-spies there, etc etc etc. Ugh. Let me build armies and fight.

Creston

10. Re: Shogun 2: Total War Revealed? May 28, 2010, 14:36 Kxmode

Ray Ban wrote on May 28, 2010, 13:18:
Excellent. A welcome return to geisha-on-ninja action

Bow-chicka-wow-wow-SLICE!

9. Re: Shogun 2: Total War Revealed? May 28, 2010, 14:24 vermin

still going to use steamworks I guess. not bothered  

8. Re: Shogun 2: Total War Revealed? May 28, 2010, 14:19 Hyatus

I still load Shogun: TW up now and again. Still one of the more fun RTS army games. Plus the Kurosawa opening is awesome.  

7. Re: Shogun 2: Total War Revealed? May 28, 2010, 14:16 dagger

Im with you  

6. Re: Shogun 2: Total War Revealed? May 28, 2010, 14:04 S2M

I wonder if this will be the Total War that fucking works instead of the last two abortions.

The thickness of your ignorance, it's like a fucking shield that repulses insight.

25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo