Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Namco Bandai Likes Ubi's DRM

Computer and Video Games quotes Namco Bandai Partners VP Olivier Comte on the topic of digital rights management, saying until an alternative arrives, Ubisoft's method, which requires a constant internet connection, is the way to go. That said, he does not comment to following suit: "We are analysing all of the situations. We have seen what Ubi and EA are doing, we've seen what Sony have announced for PS3 and it's clear that we need to make some choices." Adding further confusion to the matter, he doesn't seem to believe any method will actually work, bringing the point of the whole endeavor into question: "I'm convinced that whatever system you put in place you can be sure that two hours before putting it out it'll be cracked in Russia. I think that the combat against piracy is very complicated because it's very complicated to explain to a 12-year-old that drag and dropping a file on a PC is piracy - he was born with this." Thanks joao.

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: Namco Bandai Likes Ubi's DRM May 29, 2010, 03:58 Tanto Edge

Whatever protects their margin.
Well, if they see a positive effect, we can bet PC gaming will see a resurgence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Namco Bandai Likes Ubi's DRM May 28, 2010, 16:44 I've Got The News Blues

Creston wrote on May 28, 2010, 00:57:
Those fucking customers should be glad they're ALLOWED to play our games!"
You hit that nail on the head. That is the sense of entitlement that has ruined the video game industry.

How this industry manages to make money with their attitude is unbelievable.
No, it's believable because its customers are sheep. While consumers of music and movies have resisted and pushed back against DRM and similar restrictions that have been imposed or attempted by the RIAA and MPAA, consumers of video games lovingly swallow anything that game publishers and developers shove down their throats. You can't only blame these companies for taking advantage of this situation.

15. Re: Namco Bandai Likes Ubi's DRM May 28, 2010, 10:32 TangoBaker

They've stopped making money off me.

I bought pong from Sears back in the 70's for pete's sake. My attic is full of game boxes that go all the way back to the Vic20.

The last PC game I bought was Blood Bowl. It's likely to be the last PC game I ever buy. I believe it was the only PC game I bought last year.

I did own a 360 which I used occasionally, but mostly it streamed video from my MythTV box. It RRoD'd on me a month ago and I don't plan to replace it.

I just don't see any games that interest me being made anymore. The occasional small, indie game catches my attention but not much else. WoW and all the MMORPGS seem like the most vapid time wasters since the first caveman invented masturbation.

I already own XCom, Civilization, SimCity, IL-2 and a ton of other real games. If i want multi-player, Tribes, Allegiance and Q3 can all be had for free. I can't see anything else coming that interests me, especially given all the current hubris of companies like this.

I still check Blues on a regular basis but that's less because of the gaming news and more because it's like reading an old friends blog.

Maybe things will change in a few years but that's really it for me until sanity and real innovation reappear in this dead industry.

14. Re: Namco Bandai Likes Ubi's DRM May 28, 2010, 08:32 necrosis

Optimaximal wrote on May 28, 2010, 03:19:
For the record, Namco Bandai now own Atari...

That means Test Drive Unlimited 2, The Witcher 2 and others will be coming via them.
I'm sorry. I loved the Witcher. First PC game in years that felt like a PC game. But if the second one has this always online shit. Im going to pass.

But remember. Granted Atari published Witcher in the US. They still say they have no publisher for the second one yet in the US.

13. Re: Namco Bandai Likes Ubi's DRM May 28, 2010, 08:15 Acleacius

For the record, Namco Bandai now own Atari..
That's too bad, atari brand has suffered greatly under the decisions of clueless hack ceos.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

12. Re: Namco Bandai Likes Ubi's DRM May 28, 2010, 03:19 Optimaximal

For the record, Namco Bandai now own Atari...

That means Test Drive Unlimited 2, The Witcher 2 and others will be coming via them.

11. Re: Namco Bandai Likes Ubi's DRM May 28, 2010, 01:37 Acleacius

Damn don't even see any PC games of note, hell nothing at all really, which sort of sums up his knowledge of PC games and why he is saying and thinking stupid things.

Because that's what someone told him to think.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

10. Re: Namco Bandai Likes Ubi's DRM May 28, 2010, 00:57 Creston

"This system won't work, but it's the way to go! There is absolutely nothing better than pissing off your legitimate customers. This is the GAMING INDUSTRY, dammit! Those fucking customers should be glad they're ALLOWED to play our games!"

How this industry manages to make money with their attitude is unbelievable.

Creston

9. Re: Namco Bandai Likes Ubi's DRM May 28, 2010, 00:49 Sempai

Fucking Idiots.  

8. Re: Namco Bandai Likes Ubi's DRM May 27, 2010, 23:38 Prez

..."until an alternative arrives, Ubisoft's method, which requires a constant internet connection, is the way to go."

Even though it is already cracked and prevents thousands of LEGAL owners of the game from playing it, while the pirates have the best version. Makes sense. Wall

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

7. Re: Namco Bandai Likes Ubi's DRM May 27, 2010, 22:38 Warskull

Namco-Bandai makes PC games?  

6. Re: Namco Bandai Likes Ubi's DRM May 27, 2010, 22:26 Reactor

"I'm convinced that whatever system you put in place you can be sure that two hours before putting it out it'll be cracked in Russia. I think that the combat against piracy is very complicated because it's very complicated to explain to a 12-year-old that drag and dropping a file on a PC is piracy - he was born with this." Thanks joao.

So... Russia is a country filled 12 year olds? I don't get it.

5. Re: Namco Bandai Likes Ubi's DRM May 27, 2010, 22:19 Mashiki Amiketo

BRB...beating my head against the wall, maybe slightly drowning myself in a well or stream. Because every time I regain consciousness, my IQ's dropped 5pts and the more insane something seems, the more it makes sense.  
--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

4. Re: Namco Bandai Likes Ubi's DRM May 27, 2010, 21:55 Kxmode

I think that the combat against piracy is very complicated because it's very complicated to explain to a 12-year-old that drag and dropping a file on a PC is piracy - he was born with this."

This has to be the lamest comment to justify Ubisoft's CIC DRM! There's NO justification for CIC DRM period. It's unethical to your paying customers!

3. Re: Namco Bandai Likes Ubi's DRM May 27, 2010, 21:53 eRe4s3r

Beats me But maybe thats why they want to use this kind of DRM?  

2. Re: Namco Bandai Likes Ubi's DRM May 27, 2010, 21:37 joe2tiger

Do they have any customers? What significant games have they put out?  

Carl Sagan wrote:
Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.

1. Re: Namco Bandai Likes Ubi's DRM May 27, 2010, 21:29 Wolfen

Namco Bandai soon lose customers.

Edit: Spelling boo boo

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo