Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Stolen Gaming Credentials

The Symantec Connect Blog has details on Symantec's discovery of the credentials of 44 million stolen online gaming accounts, saying that the accounts were being validated by an automated program to determine which of these could be sold. They say: "This particular database server we uncovered seems very much to be the heart of the operation—part of a distributed password checker aimed at Chinese gaming websites." They say there are credentials for at least 18 gaming websites in the database, an inventory including about 210,000 World of Warcraft accounts, 60,000 Aion accounts, 2 million PlayNC accounts, and 16 million Wayi Entertainment accounts. Regardless of whether Chinese sites were the target, they conclude with this advice: "As always, Symantec recommends that you keep your definitions up to date in order to ensure protection against new threats. As an added precaution, if you are in possession of a gaming account from one of the websites listed above, an update of your password would not go amiss." Thanks Network World.

View
39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

39. Re: Stolen Gaming Credentials May 28, 2010, 12:02 Beamer

Idiot. I was simply saying that people are distrusting of companies for a reason, then gave one example. You connected dots that were not meant to be connected. I'm well aware of sub prime mortgages, inflation, price fixing, and all the other shenanigans that go on in our "financial" sector.

No, those dots needed to be connected. Your evidence for Symantec being evil was the subprime mortgage crisis.

Which, again, I doubt you understand. Odds are you're one of those people that thinks traders knew exactly what they were doing and home buyers/refinancers were completely clueless.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

38. removed May 28, 2010, 11:54 Stanly Manly

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on May 28, 2010, 12:14.

37. Re: Stolen Gaming Credentials May 28, 2010, 01:21 Beamer

Look man, you can say I'm wearing a tin foil hat all you want, but I'll just say in response that you wear rose colored glasses. There is a reason people around here are distrusting. Were you just under a god damned rock during the whole housing "crisis"? Wake up.

Holy shit, Symantec caused the housing crisis!

I'd guess you have absolutely no clue what caused the housing crisis.

-------------

36. Re: Stolen Gaming Credentials May 27, 2010, 22:18 Longswd

VSBM wrote on May 27, 2010, 13:04:
We use Symantec AV here at work and their products are still shite. So yes, the irony is still thick.

Indeed. Symantec's enterprise solution went to complete buggy, bloated shit when they changed from Corporate to Endpoint. If a customer already has it I'll try to maintain it but I refuse to sell it or install it.

I don't always drink carbonated Mexican rat piss, but when I do, I prefer Dos Equis.

35. Re: Stolen Gaming Credentials May 27, 2010, 21:59 Kxmode

Talisorn wrote on May 27, 2010, 18:03:
Funny thing is, I haven't had these accounts active for quite a while. And they haven't been compromised. I am getting sick of it though and am even beginning to consider closing my email account which I've had for over 20 years.

They don't know you have an account. That's why it's called phishing.

34. Re: Stolen Gaming Credentials May 27, 2010, 20:39 Stanly Manly

Beamer wrote on May 27, 2010, 18:56:

Uh, yeah. Because otherwise you're more or less implying they either made this up or did it themselves.

They analyzed data. Why? To help their customers as well as prove their worth. It's not evil. It's actually a good thing for people to know this goes on.

Sure, their product sucks and only idiots really need it, but there are lots of idiots out there. Including people that think companies are always out to get them.

edit - sure, their product sucks. But that doesn't make them evil for reporting this. It's like you're unable to distinguish between the two. How does a shitty product make reporting a whole lot of phishing activity evil or manipulative? If you're an actual customer of theirs you WANT to know these things. Christ, people here are so insanely distrusting of everything around them. It's all somehow geared to screwing them over.

How's your tin foil hat fitting today? Or do you not wear one because you're afraid Reynold's Wrap is stealing your brain waves?

That is exactly what I am saying. Did you bother to read the entry? Let me post a little snippet for ya...

"We recently analyzed a new sample submitted to Symantec and came across a server hosting the credentials of 44 million stolen gaming accounts."

Who submitted this sample? What is a sample? How did they "come across" a server? How did they know that the data contained on that server was game account information?

Look man, you can say I'm wearing a tin foil hat all you want, but I'll just say in response that you wear rose colored glasses. There is a reason people around here are distrusting. Were you just under a god damned rock during the whole housing "crisis"? Wake up.

33. Re: Stolen Gaming Credentials May 27, 2010, 20:25 Cutter

I only started getting the phising emails agter the Bnet merge - thanks so much Blizzard!

I'm so sick of China and their BS. Let's just IP block them and be done with it.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

32. Re: Stolen Gaming Credentials May 27, 2010, 18:56 Beamer

Are you just blindly going to accept that they "analyzed a sample" and viola, found all this data?

Uh, yeah. Because otherwise you're more or less implying they either made this up or did it themselves.

They analyzed data. Why? To help their customers as well as prove their worth. It's not evil. It's actually a good thing for people to know this goes on.

Sure, their product sucks and only idiots really need it, but there are lots of idiots out there. Including people that think companies are always out to get them.

edit - sure, their product sucks. But that doesn't make them evil for reporting this. It's like you're unable to distinguish between the two. How does a shitty product make reporting a whole lot of phishing activity evil or manipulative? If you're an actual customer of theirs you WANT to know these things. Christ, people here are so insanely distrusting of everything around them. It's all somehow geared to screwing them over.

How's your tin foil hat fitting today? Or do you not wear one because you're afraid Reynold's Wrap is stealing your brain waves?

-------------

31. Re: Stolen Gaming Credentials May 27, 2010, 18:29 Alamar

The Asian gold farmers used to buy accounts to replace the ones that get banned. They've shifted to very aggressively hacking accounts and using them to farm gold instead. The number of hacked accounts is significantly on the rise.

This just happened to a friend/guildie the other week... Noticed him logged in, and later in the day, checked and found that he was raping the guild bank.. Kicked him, reported it, contacted the acct. owner...

Funny stuff is, he had a 200-250 or so miner on the acct, that the hacker lvl'd to 450 and started farming with...

The acct was renewed, and an authenticator added to it, but it still took only a few hours to get it shut down, and I think the owner got a few weeks game time out of it : )

-Alamar

30. Re: Stolen Gaming Credentials May 27, 2010, 18:03 Talisorn

I get between 5 and 10 phishing emails for WoW and NCSoft on a DAILY basis. Whenever I could be bothered to do a "whois" on the actual URL, it invariably points back to China.

Funny thing is, I haven't had these accounts active for quite a while. And they haven't been compromised. I am getting sick of it though and am even beginning to consider closing my email account which I've had for over 20 years.

All the more reason to have hardware authenticators on gaming accounts. It's probably one of the best things Blizzard did for account security.

29. Re: Stolen Gaming Credentials May 27, 2010, 17:50 Stanly Manly

Beamer wrote on May 27, 2010, 17:22:

Wait, this is scare tactics? Sure, it's incentive to remind everyone the importance of their services, but "scare tactics" implies a lie or exaggeration. Here they seem to be simply telling people what's going on out there. Is it a scare tactic for Clorox to tell you that grass stains are hard to get out?

Yes. Scare tactics. The same ones Clorox employs when they tell you that their product kills the H1N1 virus.

Sorry, but their "service" is hardly important. The AV industry is self perpetuating industry. Are you just blindly going to accept that they "analyzed a sample" and viola, found all this data?

I don't know why I try... idiots will just let themselves be convinced of whatever they want to believe...

Dev and Prophet have a clue about real world experience with this "service" (as do I).

28. Re: Stolen Gaming Credentials May 27, 2010, 17:48 .Drifter

My two cents are that by Symantec posting this information, it can cause people to think "man, they're on top of it since they're the ones who found this out." Throw in the comment about definitions being up to date, you think anti virus and as it is an anti virus company posting this information, if you're in the market for an AV program it might influence you to go with them since the fact that they caught this makes them look good.
So posting this is a good marketing tool, even if it is an indirect one.
The sad thing though, is that if they hadn't put this up and instead two months down the road mentioned in passing that they had found this information out two months earlier . . .
Well, then they would be blasted for not mentioning it as opposed to being blasted for mentioning it in what is seen as an attempt to make them look good.
The fact that they did put it up on a Symantec blog on a Symantec website that would largely only be seen by existing Symantec customers (until someone posts it on another website that is ) does lessen the impression it's an ad for their product just a little.

27. Re: Stolen Gaming Credentials May 27, 2010, 17:22 Beamer

As I have to explain to my dad near constantly, Consumer Reports is not a good source for computer advice. Their area of expertise is appliances and household goods. I wouldn't say computers fit into that area.
Much like how I don't trust their car reviews. They're absolutely competent (unlike, I think, their computer/smartphone stuff), but they value different things in an automobile than I do.

Anyway:
In other news, the sky is falling, so make sure to buy my sky shielding umbrellas! I guess sales must be lagging, and scare tactics are the name of the game these days.

Wait, this is scare tactics? Sure, it's incentive to remind everyone the importance of their services, but "scare tactics" implies a lie or exaggeration. Here they seem to be simply telling people what's going on out there. Is it a scare tactic for Clorox to tell you that grass stains are hard to get out?

-------------

26. Re: Stolen Gaming Credentials May 27, 2010, 17:22 PropheT

Dev wrote on May 27, 2010, 16:47:
We use Symantec AV here at work and their products are still shite. So yes, the irony is still thick.

I recently tried symantec on SBS server 2008. BIG MISTAKE. On default settings it stopped anyone else logging in the entire building. Do they even bother to test something marketed to MS servers on actual servers?

We use it at work, and I'd guess that 60-70% of our significant outages in the last year for the entire organization have been a direct result of Symantec's software. It's insane, but the higher ups renewed the contract for it again last year...

25. Re: Stolen Gaming Credentials May 27, 2010, 16:47 Dev

I recently tried symantec on SBS server 2008. BIG MISTAKE. On default settings it stopped anyone else logging in the entire building. Do they even bother to test something marketed to MS servers on actual servers?

24. Re: Stolen Gaming Credentials May 27, 2010, 16:45 PropheT

I'll change my password when I get back from Nigeria, except that by then I'll have so much money from the bank account I'm picking up there that I probably won't care.  

23. Re: Stolen Gaming Credentials May 27, 2010, 16:14 Kxmode

nin wrote on May 27, 2010, 15:11:
The number of hacked accounts is significantly on the rise.

I've seen a lot more in the last few months than I ever have in the last 3 years.

Between WOW, SC2 and eventually Diablo 3, Battle.net is in high demand right now. I get about six phishing schemes a day. Fortunately Gmail throws all of them into my Trash. If one somehow manages to get through I report it for Phishing and delete.

22. Re: Stolen Gaming Credentials May 27, 2010, 15:11 nin

The number of hacked accounts is significantly on the rise.

I've seen a lot more in the last few months than I ever have in the last 3 years.

My current favorite gold farmering trick is to catch some of them using trial, lvl 1 accounts to spell out their web site name in one of the major cities. They have each character lie down and use the shape of the bodies to spell out the domain name. This tends to take them a little bit to get right.

I love stumbing across these guys, as I get on my biggest land mount and block their view (by standing over them), and then call for others to do the same. I think I'm 3-0 with them, where they finally give up and log all the characters off. Take that, goldfarmers!!!!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

21. Re: Stolen Gaming Credentials May 27, 2010, 14:20 Warskull

Stanly Manly wrote on May 27, 2010, 11:54:
Latest trend? There have been stolen WoW accounts since the game was released. However, I do recall a fairly recent email that looked very official, talking about verifying your WoW password, and even had an official looking link. Once you clicked on the link (or just moused over it) you saw that it took you to something like battle-com.net/wow or something, that wasn't the official blizzard site.

I didn't bother with that though, as I just received word that I won some international lottery that I don't ever recall entering, and that had me very excited to give away my personal information over the internet! See you suckers! I'm looking for my yacht right now!

The Asian gold farmers used to buy accounts to replace the ones that get banned. They've shifted to very aggressively hacking accounts and using them to farm gold instead. The number of hacked accounts is significantly on the rise.

It is much lower risk for them because they pay nothing for the account and if the account gets reclaimed or banned they reverse the charges for game time.

The other big difference, is they aren't relying solely on user error. They've begun exploiting the security of the companies that run the MMO too. A number of NCsoft accounts were taken over via security flaws in their website.

20. Re: Stolen Gaming Credentials May 27, 2010, 14:12 Verno

kxmode wrote on May 27, 2010, 14:07:
No prob. I just didn't want to get into a long winded discussion, because you'll win.

Just shooting the shit man, there are no winners or losers

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo