Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Consolidation

View
17. Re: Morning Consolidation May 27, 2010, 17:17 Beamer

Wait, what "balance board?" The Wii Fit board? That thing sold like hot cakes, has dozens of game supporting it, was aimed primarily at women in the 20s and 30s, and successfully introduced an extraordinarily large amount of them to the Wii, being cited as their primary reason for buying it and something they got hours and hours worth of entertainment out of.

If you bought it and hated it you're probably an idiot for not recognizing you're not in its target audience. That said, two girls I dated had them and I definitely put about 20 hours into the thing between them. It's also immensely fun for parties - seeing slightly drunk guys getting their asses kicked in yoga by their non-gaming girlfriends is always fun.

As for the Natal, comparing it to these peripherals is kind of bunk:
1) Unlike most shoddy peripherals, it's designed for a whole system, not one game or one series of games.
2) Unlike Wii Fit, it's designed to change the system. It's not simply an add-on, it's a fundamental change.

That said, Microsoft knows the pressure here. If they're selling it for $150 that's because it costs them $160 to make. They'll sell this thing for a loss, or at best break even. There is absolutely no way they're marking this up because they know it is a absolute necessity, and know that its survival depends on market penetration.

Microsoft is also sinking major money behind this. Off the top of my head I know at least 18 companies that are developing for the Natal. Of those 18 at least 6 studios are doing solely Natal work right now. I can't speak for the launch lineup, but six months out it will have significantly more support than the Wii Fit does. More importantly, it will be dedicated support rather than mere tacked-on support. Microsoft knows that all of this will fail if they price right. That's why they're not looking to make money on the Natal - they're looking to make money on the software.

All this applies to the PS Move, too. I know fewer companies working on it, but imagine there are dozens in Japan.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Previous Post Next Post Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Date Subject Author
  1. May 27, 09:59 Re: Morning Consolidation nin
  2. May 27, 11:00  Re: Morning Consolidation fujiJuice
  3. May 27, 11:16   Re: Morning Consolidation nin
  4. May 27, 11:43    Re: Morning Consolidation fujiJuice
  12. May 27, 13:28  Re: Morning Consolidation Ray Marden