Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Consolidation

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: Morning Consolidation May 28, 2010, 02:15 Prez

I will be stunned if this is successful.

And if the Wii-fit board is aimed towards 20-30 year-old women, I guess I ought to stop using it.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Morning Consolidation May 27, 2010, 17:17 Beamer

Wait, what "balance board?" The Wii Fit board? That thing sold like hot cakes, has dozens of game supporting it, was aimed primarily at women in the 20s and 30s, and successfully introduced an extraordinarily large amount of them to the Wii, being cited as their primary reason for buying it and something they got hours and hours worth of entertainment out of.

If you bought it and hated it you're probably an idiot for not recognizing you're not in its target audience. That said, two girls I dated had them and I definitely put about 20 hours into the thing between them. It's also immensely fun for parties - seeing slightly drunk guys getting their asses kicked in yoga by their non-gaming girlfriends is always fun.

As for the Natal, comparing it to these peripherals is kind of bunk:
1) Unlike most shoddy peripherals, it's designed for a whole system, not one game or one series of games.
2) Unlike Wii Fit, it's designed to change the system. It's not simply an add-on, it's a fundamental change.

That said, Microsoft knows the pressure here. If they're selling it for $150 that's because it costs them $160 to make. They'll sell this thing for a loss, or at best break even. There is absolutely no way they're marking this up because they know it is a absolute necessity, and know that its survival depends on market penetration.

Microsoft is also sinking major money behind this. Off the top of my head I know at least 18 companies that are developing for the Natal. Of those 18 at least 6 studios are doing solely Natal work right now. I can't speak for the launch lineup, but six months out it will have significantly more support than the Wii Fit does. More importantly, it will be dedicated support rather than mere tacked-on support. Microsoft knows that all of this will fail if they price right. That's why they're not looking to make money on the Natal - they're looking to make money on the software.

All this applies to the PS Move, too. I know fewer companies working on it, but imagine there are dozens in Japan.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

16. Re: Morning Consolidation May 27, 2010, 16:23 Tumbler

So you admit you spent $80 on the board and it sits in the corner, yet you're hot to buy this?

You should grab that Tony Hawk skateboard deal, I hear that was a hit.

The $80 on the board was stupid. The $200+ on my new remote was not. I like the idea of controlling the 360 with hand and voice commands. (minus the controller) If it will do what they've said it will do in the clips so far then I think I'm on board. If it has cool games to play as well so be it.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

15. Re: Morning Consolidation May 27, 2010, 15:15 nin

I'm interested at $150, and I'm assuming there will be plenty of E3 coverage to get my fiancee interested. I think MS was really smart to show this as a way to control the console and not just as a tool for video games.

So you admit you spent $80 on the board and it sits in the corner, yet you're hot to buy this?

You should grab that Tony Hawk skateboard deal, I hear that was a hit.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

14. Re: Morning Consolidation May 27, 2010, 14:24 Verno

Most people don't have integrated setups to accommodate the kind of thing you're talking about though. You're making a good case for Natal as if Sony and Nintendo don't exist but unfortunately they do and one of them is well entrenched. They cannot successfully market this product at $150 when both the Wii and Move will be cheaper. Every previous report has this peripheral being cheaper than that anyways, I'm keeping my large grain of salt handy until I hear $150 from Microsoft.  

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Intruders, Coherence, The Rover

13. Re: Morning Consolidation May 27, 2010, 14:21 Tumbler

And sorry Tumbler, I disagree, $149 is definitely too expensive when you're trying to introduce a competing peripheral into an entrenched market.

I'm interested at $150, and I'm assuming there will be plenty of E3 coverage to get my fiancee interested. I think MS was really smart to show this as a way to control the console and not just as a tool for video games. I payed over $200 for the newest programmable remote from logitech, color touch screen lcd, controls all my stuff from one remote, and that is just a remote... Natal seems to cover a wider area than just playing games. If they integrate it into the OS and make it something that you can use on facebook easily or just to video chat with others in some way.

They already have those avatars to play with, imagine if they setup a chat room where the camera would just map your avatar moving around and you could stand in front of the tv talking to other people, or just sit on the couch.

It's all going to come down to software, if MS has done their homework they'll have something more than a gaming peripheral and that is what is exciting about natal. If it's just a tool to make bowling more fun then $150 is definitely too much.

12. Re: Morning Consolidation May 27, 2010, 13:28 Ray Marden

I'm certainly not buying it at the price. I'm certainly not spending that for an accessory item. I'm certainly not paying that given how far into this console's life cycle it is.

Compared to Sony's system, this thing is all gesturing and doesn't have any buttons! Looking at the low cost, included for free, available to every owner Wii, this makes no sense.

I might buy this thing for $60 with an included killer app and a wide range of fantastic upcoming games. But in all reality, I am not looking to buy Natal in general and even less so at that price.
This sounds like a better idea for the next system - not this one.
Glad no recessions are affecting the game companies...,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

11. Re: Morning Consolidation May 27, 2010, 13:24 Verno

nin wrote on May 27, 2010, 12:53:
You clearly don't understand the target audience.

I don't think there is a target audience. It's a "me too" attempt.

Not really, a fair bit of thought went into the tech and it has a PC dev kit as well. If anything the Move would be more "me too".

And sorry Tumbler, I disagree, $149 is definitely too expensive when you're trying to introduce a competing peripheral into an entrenched market.

10. Re: Morning Consolidation May 27, 2010, 12:53 nin

You clearly don't understand the target audience.

I don't think there is a target audience. It's a "me too" attempt.

9. Re: Morning Consolidation May 27, 2010, 12:49 Creston

It's way too expensive, but I think MS is probably betting on all the idiots that will buy anything, no matter how retarded the price or how low the value.

Creston

8. Re: Morning Consolidation May 27, 2010, 12:46 Tumbler

Lets just remember how much that stupid Balance board cost....I own one, it sits in the corner. I think that was $80 and it was designed for 1 game.

$149 is too much? You clearly don't understand the target audience. I'll wait to say one way or the other until after E3. But with a few titles in the works and widespread support for the device from publishers (to be determined) $149 is still easily workable.

7. Re: Morning Consolidation May 27, 2010, 12:26 Verno

They can't overprice this peripheral though, it has a huge amount of existing competition from the Wii and it will launch at about the same time as the Sony Move. Microsoft can be stupid but that's a huge leap. If they do then they are literally dooming the device regardless of whatever killer app they devise for it.  

6. Re: Morning Consolidation May 27, 2010, 12:11 Wolfen

So typical of MS. Over priced accessories constantly.  

5. Re: Morning Consolidation May 27, 2010, 12:08 Verno

I highly doubt it will sell for that much especially considering previous sources have pegged it as low as $50.  

4. Re: Morning Consolidation May 27, 2010, 11:43 fujiJuice

Aside from the price, I just don't see the demand or interest for it. Just feels like they're chasing the competition.

Agreed. Unless they have some killer app in the works, I don't see their intended audience buying something on top of the Wii.

3. Re: Morning Consolidation May 27, 2010, 11:16 nin

I would be shocked if it was that expensive, it should at the very most be $60-$70, with a game.

Aside from the price, I just don't see the demand or interest for it. Just feels like they're chasing the competition. Remember, what was it called, Kudo? Big push leading up to release and then seemingly forgotten.

2. Re: Morning Consolidation May 27, 2010, 11:00 fujiJuice

I would be shocked if it was that expensive, it should at the very most be $60-$70, with a game.  

1. Re: Morning Consolidation May 27, 2010, 09:59 nin

Natal To Cost $149 – Source.

If that's true, I don't know how they're not going to take a bath on that thing...

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo