Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Spaceships Ahoy - EVE Online: Tyrannis

CCP announces the release of Tyrannis, the latest expansion for EVE Online, their science fiction MMORPG. The add-on is free to current subscribers, and here's word: "Tyrannis will usher in new levels of player control as the pilots of EVE have turned their attention to the celestial bodies around them, casting surface inhabitants into the shadows of their powerful ships and exploiting the planets for the materials and profits they need to fuel countless ambitions. EVE Gate, the new web frontend and social networking platform for EVE Online, is a leap forward in extending the universe outside of the client, allowing access to in-game mail and features and bringing the community closer than ever before." EVE Online: Tyrannis is available on Steam, and is now part of their SteamPlay catalogue of games that can be played on both Windows and Mac.

View
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

11. Re: Spaceships Ahoy - EVE Online: Tyrannis May 27, 2010, 22:03 Kxmode

BobBob wrote on May 27, 2010, 08:02:
Space games are pretty boring in general. Turning the genre into an MMO makes it pure torture.

I think Zeropunctuation sums it up quite nicely!
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/208-Eve-Online

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: Spaceships Ahoy - EVE Online: Tyrannis May 27, 2010, 10:10 SpectralMeat

kylania wrote on May 27, 2010, 09:32:
SpectralMeat wrote on May 27, 2010, 08:48:
The whole gameplay is really depending on the group of people you play with and how involve you get with them.

That's the same for every MMO, really every multiplayer game. If you find the right people it's always a better experience and if you find the wrong ones even the perfect game can be ruined.

That's true, after all this game is an MMO even though it has "single player" missions, you still need a good group of peeps to enjoy it. Nothing like bring a good buddy along for an agent mission to kill battle ship pirates.

Steam: SpectralMeat

9. Re: Spaceships Ahoy - EVE Online: Tyrannis May 27, 2010, 09:32 kylania

SpectralMeat wrote on May 27, 2010, 08:48:
The whole gameplay is really depending on the group of people you play with and how involve you get with them.

That's the same for every MMO, really every multiplayer game. If you find the right people it's always a better experience and if you find the wrong ones even the perfect game can be ruined.

8. Re: Spaceships Ahoy - EVE Online: Tyrannis May 27, 2010, 08:48 SpectralMeat

I used to play the shite out of this game, I was in the beta test and played for about 2 years straight after the game was released. Since then I came back to it multiple times but didn't get hooked anymore. After a month or so I just lost interest.

The whole gameplay is really depending on the group of people you play with and how involve you get with them. I do agree with those that commented on the length of time the game requires you to play it. I guess as I get older I just can not commit to that kind of time to play one game, I much prefer the quick 30-60 minute gameplay sessions. Not to mention with Eve you can not just jump up and walk away whenever you can. Even if you shot the game down in a middle of a combat you probably going to get shot, because your ship isn't warp away fast enough to survive.

While I was playing this game I tried everything from agent missions, mining, PvP and all are fun but like I said it requires some time to be there and practice or "work" for the game in order to make some cash aka "progress"
Especially if you have multiple accounts like I did for mining/hauling.

Steam: SpectralMeat

7. Re: Spaceships Ahoy - EVE Online: Tyrannis May 27, 2010, 08:02 BobBob

Space games are pretty boring in general. Turning the genre into an MMO makes it pure torture.  

6. Re: Spaceships Ahoy - EVE Online: Tyrannis May 27, 2010, 07:38 Grokk

Everyone brings up the cheating bits but to be honest in the whole scheme of eve it wasn't that big a deal.
There are some corps/alliances that are filthy rich and obscenely powerful but that just makes the game more exciting. Goons proved that the king can be de-throned before slipping down from the throne in their own classical fashion.

There are so many elements to the game that it can be a full time job just to get the hang of it, but it does still fit a very niche market and it certainly isn't a game for the masses.

edit: was=wasn't.

5. Re: Spaceships Ahoy - EVE Online: Tyrannis May 27, 2010, 01:54 Wowbagger_TIP

Anyway, my take is from a PVP small-gang perspective. There really are so many ways to play the game that everyone's experience will be completely different. Which is probably one of the reasons EVE isn't more popular. It takes a long time to get a handle on it.

That's my main issue with it. It required too much of a time investment just to learn it, and then it kept on requiring time if you were to be at all successful at it. Of course then there was also the series of cheating scandals and ridiculously powerful corps. It seemed like a full-time job to play the game.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

4. Re: Spaceships Ahoy - EVE Online: Tyrannis May 27, 2010, 01:36 Scottso

I find the comments about EVE pretty funny. If you manage to get past the learning curve, which I admit can be a bit intimidating, it's actually a really fun game that requires a lot of tactics and strategy, especially if you fly in small gangs (which is what I prefer.) While it's certainly not a twitch game, combat can be fast and furious and fights rarely last more than a few minutes. You have to think and react fast to survive.

Fitting out ships is like a mini-game on it's own.

The UI is certainly clunky and garners the most complaints, but it's serviceable for how the game is played. Hopefully they will focus on it at some point and make it more user friendly.

Anyway, my take is from a PVP small-gang perspective. There really are so many ways to play the game that everyone's experience will be completely different. Which is probably one of the reasons EVE isn't more popular. It takes a long time to get a handle on it.

3. Re: Spaceships Ahoy - EVE Online: Tyrannis May 26, 2010, 23:38 Cutter

Just open Excel and type in pew pew pew in a few cells and that's EVE right there.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

2. Re: Spaceships Ahoy - EVE Online: Tyrannis May 26, 2010, 23:30 starmonkey

What about youtube?

http://www.youtube.com/user/ccpgames

1. Re: Spaceships Ahoy - EVE Online: Tyrannis May 26, 2010, 21:42 Wowbagger_TIP

Is there an EVE channel where I could just watch the game? It's pretty, but they don't pay well enough for me to be interested in "playing" it.  

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo