Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Blizzard on DRM

VideoGamer.com has some interesting comments from Blizzard's Frank Pearce on the topic of DRM, which he calls a "losing battle." He explains how they are using the new Battle.net as an incentive to buy the StarCraft II (thanks Joao). "If we've done our job right and implemented Battle.net in a great way people will want to be connected while they're playing the single player campaign so they can stay connected to their friends on Battle.net and earn the achievements on Battle.net," he tells them. "The best approach from our perspective is to make sure that you've got a full-featured platform that people want to play on, where their friends are, where the community is."

View
36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

36. Re: Blizzard on DRM May 28, 2010, 08:39 Verno

Sempai wrote on May 28, 2010, 01:11:
Dear Bliztard.

Thx for raising the price of your game to $60 bucks.
Thx for splitting one game into three.
Thx for allowing me to pay thrice for one game.

Thx for Facebook integration.
Thx for allowing greed to step in.
Thx for making me lose respect for the one company that once deserved it.

If you never posted again the world would literally be more intelligent for it.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

35. Re: Blizzard on DRM May 28, 2010, 07:05 nin

I think some of you ate paint chips as a children.

As in, last week or so.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

34. Re: Blizzard on DRM May 28, 2010, 01:11 Sempai

Dear Bliztard.

Thx for splitting one game into three.
Thx for allowing me to pay thrice for one game.

Thx for Facebook integration.
Thx for allowing greed to step in.
Thx for making me lose respect for the one company that once deserved it.

33. Re: f*ck that sh*t May 27, 2010, 15:06 nin

Well you got taken if you paid 60 bucks for those games.

And yet the MSRP still hasn't changed.

I own the first 2, got them on day 1 and I didn't pay 60 bucks.

Pretty sure I didn't either. Perhaps we should both have a cookie.

32. Re: f*ck that sh*t May 27, 2010, 14:16 JayDeath

Well you got taken if you paid 60 bucks for those games. I own the first 2, got them on day 1 and I didn't pay 60 bucks.  
Steam: BenRichards

Shadow of Mordor is wonderful.

30. Re: f*ck that sh*t May 27, 2010, 13:06 JayDeath

I have never paid $60 bucks for a PC game. That's the price for console games. This is a new trend that is will not be tolerated by me, so take your sarcastic remarks somewhere else.  

29. Re: f*ck that sh*t May 27, 2010, 12:46 Kxmode

nin wrote on May 27, 2010, 10:19:
Wow, I was turned off by the $60 price tag and now this?

YEAH! Where do they get off selling games for $60?! If they'd tried that with Starcraft, Diablo 2 or Warcraft 3, it never would have sold!

I know right?! The nerve of Blizzard to charge the exact same amount.

28. Re: Blizzard on DRM May 27, 2010, 12:45 Kxmode

Tomas wrote on May 27, 2010, 02:00:
I've never really understood why achievements matter to people. Sure, when I get one I think, "Oh neat, I should get more!" But then I think to myself...why do I care about this. You get an achievement for...playing the game? Shouldn't the more exciting part be the actual playing? If a game tells me I need to get achievements to feel like I'm having fun, then maybe the game isn't that fun at all.

Bragging rights. Gamers love to show off.

27. Re: f*ck that sh*t May 27, 2010, 10:19 nin

Wow, I was turned off by the $60 price tag and now this?

YEAH! Where do they get off selling games for $60?! If they'd tried that with Starcraft, Diablo 2 or Warcraft 3, it never would have sold!

26. Re: f*ck that sh*t May 27, 2010, 08:47 JayDeath

Wow, I was turned off by the $60 price tag and now this? Blizzard dropping the ball here? What's going on?  

25. Re: f*ck that sh*t May 27, 2010, 08:24 Mr. Tact

I tried that and it didn't function that way for me. The next time I fired up HL2 it connected without prompting me. I'll look at it again, perhaps I goofed somehow when trying to make it offline.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

24. Re: f*ck that sh*t May 27, 2010, 08:21 Armengar

No you dont. You go online, click offline and you're offline. If you open the client it says "steam is currently in offine mode" and offers you the choice of going online/offline.

I use it all the time when going to LAN parties without internet connections, or just in case there isnt an internet connection.

Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

23. Re: f*ck that sh*t May 27, 2010, 08:02 Mr. Tact

Prez wrote on May 26, 2010, 23:31:
(also like Steam, which has an offline mode).
I would argue Steam has a half-ass offline mode. To run Steam offline you have to be offline. ie.. if I want to play my HL2 without connecting to Steam I have to unplug my internet connection. I'd be A LOT happier with it if I could configure the launcher to not connect at all unless I tell it to.

Oh, and for the record -- I never took the information as indicating a connection would be required for single player. I was indicating I have no interest in "social networking" while I am busy playing a single player game.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

22. Re: Blizzard on DRM May 27, 2010, 07:51 nin

Does anyone actually read the articles that they link from:

Why do that? Fear mongering is much more fun for some people...never let the facts get in the way!

21. Re: Blizzard on DRM May 27, 2010, 07:31 Rhialto

Works the same as with Diablo II (out 10 years ago).

I mostly play alone but online so I can get 'Ladder only' items. And it's nice sometimes to get in party to do some part. That never bothered me so I wish they keep it simple as that.

20. Re: f*ck that sh*t May 27, 2010, 06:19 Eldaron Imotholin

Prez wrote on May 26, 2010, 23:31:
Maybe I read it differently, but I didn't get that he was saying this will be a requirement. He wants you to 'want' to use it all the time (like Steam) but you don't have to (also like Steam, which has an offline mode).

That's how I interpreted it too, and I see no reason to read it in any other way.

Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
Future: Dead Space 3.

19. Re: Blizzard on DRM May 27, 2010, 05:10 JonJones

Does anyone actually read the articles that they link from:
http://www.videogamer.com/news/blizzard_drm_a_losing_battle.html

StarCraft II, due out on July 27, requires a one-off activation and a registered Battle.net account. Once completed, players will be able to get started with the game's single-player campaign in offline mode.

18. Re: Blizzard on DRM May 27, 2010, 05:10 Paketep

That's Blizzard for you

Hey, DRM is a losing battle, B.Net is no DRM, noooooooooooo, just like C&C4 had no DRM but if you lost your connection for a second you would lose any progress from the current mission.

And to show that we care for our fans, we are also taking out LAN support.

Kotick rots everything he touches. Even Blizzard.

17. Re: Blizzard on DRM May 27, 2010, 04:50 FloorPie

Tomas wrote on May 27, 2010, 02:00:
I've never really understood why achievements matter to people. Sure, when I get one I think, "Oh neat, I should get more!" But then I think to myself...why do I care about this. You get an achievement for...playing the game? Shouldn't the more exciting part be the actual playing? If a game tells me I need to get achievements to feel like I'm having fun, then maybe the game isn't that fun at all.

Anyhow, and yeah, his whole statement is completely invalidated by the fact that you have to have your connection to play their game at all. Well, those of us who buy it will anyhow. Those who just pirate it will enjoy their LAN games just fine with or without their internet connection.

Yeah I see the appeal of achievements and they've done some good for WoW but overall its just pointless drivel. Its also been known to wreck friendships and guilds in WoW. For a game like Starcraft 2, I see no real need to brag to my friends officially via game records I beat some mission in 15min with no losses. Big effin deal.

36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo