Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Total War Countdown

Totalwar.com now shows an hourglass that currently says 1908 that seems to be some sort of countdown, or count-up, or something. It's not clear if this is leading to an announcement of a new installment in the Total War series of real-time strategy games, but E3 2010 is about three weeks off, so it seems likely we'll learn more by the time the show rolls around. The Total War forums foster discussion of the tease.

View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

24. Re: Total War Countdown May 26, 2010, 07:05 Armengar

A bunch of shogun 2 threads on the forums got nerfed quickly. any hint of shogun 2 with "meat" in them have vanished. I'd love a revamped shogun:TW and they did say they were going back to grass roots after the increased used of firearms seemed to take away from the TW ethos.

I miss my spartan phalanx holding a bridge against massive odds.

Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: Total War Countdown May 26, 2010, 06:52 Prez

I'm waiting on "Total Warhammer".

http://www.moddb.com/mods/call-of-warhammer-total-war

Yes it's as awesome as it sounds.

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

22. Re: Total War Countdown May 26, 2010, 05:13 Muscular Beaver

Its now at 1870. Guess its counting back to a timeframe they want to use for a new game.
I really hope it stops at like 500 BC.

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

21. Re: Total War Countdown May 26, 2010, 03:05 Normbates1

I'm waiting on "Total Warhammer".  

20. Re: Total War Countdown May 26, 2010, 01:36 Creston

1908? The end of the Old West!

Total War : Red Dead Redemption! Cowboy

Okay, I'll go now.

Creston

19. Re: American Civil War? May 25, 2010, 19:52 Prez

Bought Napolean on the Sega Steam sale (it's the first Total War game I didn't purchase day one) and even though I had my reservations about it, it has turned out to be an excellent game. The campaigns are fun but challenging.

I recommend you watch Dino DeLaurentis' "Waterloo" to get you in the right mood.

Waterloo 1970

18. Re: American Civil War? May 25, 2010, 19:19 NewMaxx

Prez wrote on May 25, 2010, 17:12:
I'm not convinced '1908' actually means a year - I can't find any really significant conflicts around that time.

The site does seem to start at 2009, then roll back to 1908. Just sayin'.

17. Re: American Civil War? May 25, 2010, 18:59 Scottish Martial Arts

joe2tiger wrote on May 25, 2010, 15:17:
I think the next likely step would be the American Civil War. During that time period, warfare was also very active around other parts of the globe too! I think that would be very exciting. If they are going to do a sequel, I honestly want them to go back to Japan on Shogun Total War.

The American Civil War would work phenomenally well as a Total War game. Of course, since it would be a Total War game, there would be no pathfinding or enemy AI whatsoever rendering the coolness of the concept completely moot.

A WWI game would be difficult to pull off. Were it me, I would limit the focus to August 1914, from the German invasion of Belgium through the Miracle at the Marne. The German goal for the campaign would be to avoid getting hung up the Marne, and instead driving on to Paris thus ending the war. The French and British, meanwhile, would need to do what they did historically: stop the momentum of the German advance so that Paris is no longer directly threatened. During that month, while there were extreme casualties, the war was very much one of mobility and maneuver.

16. Re: Total War Countdown May 25, 2010, 17:53 ASeven

Rumors say that there's a good chance it's Shogun 2.  

15. Re: Total War Countdown May 25, 2010, 17:27 Golwar

Wolfen wrote on May 25, 2010, 12:48:
I agree with you. I picked up Shogun back when it was fairly new and was hooked ever since. But Empire failed to capture me, and then after trying again on three other separate occasions there was a new bug that made lots of things go invisible so the game was unplayable. Suffice to say I was not at all interested in Napoleon.

Same here. Rome 2 oder Shogun 2 might tempt me, but its unlikely that CA will find the track back to glory.
I don't care so much about the vanilla game itself, but when they cripple the mod support I'm out. I don't play Empire anymore and didn't buy Napoleon - but from time to time I'll run one of those wonderful mods for Rome & Medieval 2.

14. Re: American Civil War? May 25, 2010, 17:12 Prez

I'm not convinced '1908' actually means a year - I can't find any really significant conflicts around that time.  

13. American Civil War? May 25, 2010, 15:17 joe2tiger

I think the next likely step would be the American Civil War. During that time period, warfare was also very active around other parts of the globe too! I think that would be very exciting. If they are going to do a sequel, I honestly want them to go back to Japan on Shogun Total War.  

Carl Sagan wrote:
Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.

12. Re: Total War Countdown May 25, 2010, 14:43 DDI

Empire was great, I don't understand the hate for it. I think the city management aspect was simplified for the better.

I do understand the hate for how siege AI has been broken for every iteration of the game since they added the feature.

Rome was kind of silly with some of the unit options, packs of war dogs? Really? Mysterious made up groups of assassins?

11. Re: Total War Countdown May 25, 2010, 14:11 Mashiki Amiketo

Vulkan wrote on May 25, 2010, 13:18:
And we thus come to a problem, where the one thing the Total War series does well (Rank and file combat) was on its way out by the time WWI rolled around, giving way to smaller movements and just spraying the shit out of everything with machine guns and explosives.

I'm thinking there won't be anything from after the civil war from Creative Assembly until they seriously rework their engine.
Tell that to the guys sitting/laying in a trench upto 10,000 at a time hoping they don't get shelled to death. WWI was the era of trench warfare, WWII was the war of spray everything with bullets.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

10. Re: Total War Countdown May 25, 2010, 13:18 Vulkan

Surf wrote on May 25, 2010, 10:18:
or some WW1 game

And we thus come to a problem, where the one thing the Total War series does well (Rank and file combat) was on its way out by the time WWI rolled around, giving way to smaller movements and just spraying the shit out of everything with machine guns and explosives.

I'm thinking there won't be anything from after the civil war from Creative Assembly until they seriously rework their engine.

9. Re: Total War Countdown May 25, 2010, 12:54  Blue 

Jonny wrote on May 25, 2010, 11:46:
Maybe it's a countdown to a points based auction system only available in America?

Isn't that worth fighting for?

Isn't that worth dying for?

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

8. Re: Total War Countdown May 25, 2010, 12:48 Wolfen

Surf wrote on May 25, 2010, 10:18:
Yes Rome 2 or some WW1 game, but 1908 I don't think was during WW1 (1914, too lazy to look it up).

Sick of this series really. The last two installments blew ass for some reason but Rome was by far their pinnacle moment in the total war series.

I agree with you. I picked up Shogun back when it was fairly new and was hooked ever since. But Empire failed to capture me, and then after trying again on three other separate occasions there was a new bug that made lots of things go invisible so the game was unplayable. Suffice to say I was not at all interested in Napoleon.

7. Re: Total War Countdown May 25, 2010, 11:46 Jonny

Prez wrote on May 25, 2010, 09:35:
Rome 2? Shogun 2? World War 1 Total War? I need to know. Someone figure it out and tell me.

Maybe it's a countdown to a points based auction system only available in America?

6. Re: Total War Countdown May 25, 2010, 11:05 S2M

Great, I am looking forward to not buying their latest bug filled shitfest.

The thickness of your ignorance, it's like a fucking shield that repulses insight.

5. Re: Total War Countdown May 25, 2010, 11:00 Reactor

I just started playing Rome after the Steam sale, and when I'm done with that I have Medieval and Empire to follow.

I'm in no rush for more.

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo