Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

MS Gaming Shakeup?

On the heels of a rumor that J Allard is leaving Microsoft, the Wall Street Journal (subscription required) reports on plans for a shake-up at Microsoft's Entertainment & Devices Division "as early as this week." Word is: "Microsoft Corp. is expected to shake up the management of its division focused on videogames, mobile phones and other devices, in the wake of increasingly bruising competition from Apple Inc. and Google Inc. in the market for consumer devices, according to people familiar with the matter." Thanks Kotaku.

View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. Re: MS Gaming Shakeup? May 26, 2010, 04:14 Muscular Beaver

Verno wrote on May 25, 2010, 15:47:
Consoles and PCs have co-existed for decades and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future. All of the alarmist crap is just fanboyism from both sides of the fence.

Funny, I think PC gaming is already as good as dead. Ive never bought so few PC games like the last 3 years and its getting less and less.
Sure, there will always be PC games, but for me those are already mostly nowhere near real PC games anymore. I doubt that in a few years it will be enough for me to justify buying a new PC regularly.

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: MS Gaming Shakeup? May 26, 2010, 02:38 Jerykk

The console market is seen as too casual for it; it may or may not be true, but the impression is that nearly all console gamers would find KB/M input too much trouble or too complicated.

This. Consoles are all about convenience and accessibility. Sitting on a couch and playing games with plenty of assists to compensate for the inferior control scheme. In fact, I'd argue that playing console shooters is often easier than playing them on PC due to gratuitous aim assist. You aim in the general direction of your target and the aim assist takes care of the rest. And then there's the matter of buttons/keys. Many people think gamepads are complicated enough as it is, hence the movement towards motion controls. A keyboard is on the opposite side of the spectrum.

12. Re: MS Gaming Shakeup? May 25, 2010, 21:52 Sepharo

swaaye wrote on May 25, 2010, 21:39:
And I don't mean how shooters play better with KB/mouse. That's inconsequential to a ton of people.

Ignorant people.

And I don't mean "ignorant" in the sense of a general insult but just ignorant of the fact that first person shooters are better controlled with a mouse and keyboard.

11. Re: MS Gaming Shakeup? May 25, 2010, 21:39 swaaye

The PC's strengths are in modding and complex controls for genres that need it.

If PC gaming has no clear advantage then what's the point? And I don't mean how shooters play better with KB/mouse. That's inconsequential to a ton of people.

I think the last PC gaming bastions are MMOs, RTS, TBS and complex simulation. The games tend to not register on console people radar.

This comment was edited on May 25, 2010, 21:50.

10. Re: MS Gaming Shakeup? May 25, 2010, 15:47 Verno

Consoles and PCs have co-existed for decades and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future. All of the alarmist crap is just fanboyism from both sides of the fence.  

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

9. Re: MS Gaming Shakeup? May 25, 2010, 14:19 NicklePop

Consoles are complete and utter crap compared to PC, until that changes PC will always have games being developed for it.  

8. Re: MS Gaming Shakeup? May 25, 2010, 13:36 Beamer

There's no mouse and keyboard for consoles because most people tend to play on the couch. Mousing just doesn't work well on the couch (as any of us that do a lot of laptoping in the couch can tell you.) PS3 allows mouse and keyboard, but not many games willingly support it. Why? Because the tiny percentage of people that hook a PS3 up on a desk to properly mouse and keyboard will throw any FPS balance so far out of whack that it'll ruin a game.

As for the licensing fees, well, there's a reason PC games are $10 cheaper at retail.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

7. Re: MS Gaming Shakeup? May 25, 2010, 13:31 Dr. D. Schreber

Let's not forget that a sale of a PC version of any game is more money for the publisher/developer since they don't need to pay the licensing fee, which is why 100k has always been the equivalent to selling a million on the consoles.

You're not going to see keyboard and mouse support on the next generation of consoles. The console market is seen as too casual for it; it may or may not be true, but the impression is that nearly all console gamers would find KB/M input too much trouble or too complicated. I can't be the only one who's had to listen to completely inane arguments about how a controller is superior for absolutely every game that consists of little more than "It just is!" It's not even a console gamer thing, just the usual human "I will never admit I don't have the superior method in any way, shape or form" thing.

Motion control is partially to blame for this. The games industry is, as a whole, not just PC gaming, locked in a cycle of stagnation right now. Gamers as a general rule are hard to impress and have short attention spans; we constantly need new things, be they graphical shinies or actual innovation, to keep us interested. When the Wii was first announced, a lot of its buzz wasn't over motion control, it was over being something new and different. Problem was, it failed to live up to that, so now we've got everyone copycatting something that's not bringing true innovation while the risk-aversion attitude stifles anything that might actually break the mold this generation. Input devices more complex than a standard controller will have to come eventually to keep people interested, but the short-term planning that goes on in this industry is incredibly short-sighted. If there's another big crash, there will be no amount of endless bickering and finger-pointing over who and what caused it, when the reality will be that the industry simply refuses to plan for anything that stops players form getting bored.

NOT THE BEES! NOT THE BEES THEY'RE IN MY EYES AARRGRHGHGGAFHGHFGHFG!

6. Re: MS Gaming Shakeup? May 25, 2010, 12:56 Wolfen

Surf wrote on May 25, 2010, 10:20:
Right, like they care about PC gaming anymore NIN. Its all about the mobile and console market, that's where the bucks are. AS for PC gaming it is fucking gone. Just look at the sales numbers of games like Bad Company 2.

100 to 1 Console sales vs. PC> Its over man, game fucking over.

If the next console happens to have a keyboard and mouse, goodbye PC and why they haven't done this earlier is beyond me.

If I recall, a couple of consoles support kb and mouse. It just never took off.

I dont think PC gaming will ever entirely disapear until the need to develop anything is no longer needed to be done on a "Personal Computer". As long as geeks are using high end machines of some kind, to develop all these programs and games for anything.. a PC will always exist, and I would guess many of those users would drive a smaller PC game market. Im just making wild assumptions of the future though. Anything could happen.

5. Re: MS Gaming Shakeup? May 25, 2010, 11:52 Huzsar

Surf wrote on May 25, 2010, 10:20:

You might wat to check your sources again. Back in a interview in march with Dice they claimed the biggest percentage of BC2 was on PC, at the time when they sold 2.3 million copies, and few weeks ago they reported the sales passed 5 million total sales, soo even if the PC sales totaly stopped it still would not reach 10 to one ratio, let alone 100 to one that you claim.

4. Re: MS Gaming Shakeup? May 25, 2010, 11:48 NicklePop

@Surf

BC2 on PC did surprisingly well, and when BF3 comes out you will see +50% more sales than BC2 did.

3. Re: MS Gaming Shakeup? May 25, 2010, 11:47 NicklePop

Bah, same prediction over and over for 20 years.

PC gaming won't die anytime soon, if anything I expect it to pickup over the next few years as the consoles are aging quickly.

There will always be people like us who look down on dumb console games/gamers, as long as you can port a game relatively easily they will make the cash grab with a PC version.

2. Re: MS Gaming Shakeup? May 25, 2010, 10:20 Surf

Right, like they care about PC gaming anymore NIN. Its all about the mobile and console market, that's where the bucks are. AS for PC gaming it is fucking gone. Just look at the sales numbers of games like Bad Company 2.

If the next console happens to have a keyboard and mouse, goodbye PC and why they haven't done this earlier is beyond me.

1. Re: MS Gaming Shakeup? May 25, 2010, 09:56 nin

One can only hope this is the beginning of the end for GFFW...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo