Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

A+E Interactive - Why gamers should root for the Prince of Persia movie.
It didnít use to be that way. Before Uwe Boll single-handedly destroyed its celluloid reputation, a handful of good video game movies existed. Mortal Kombat was decent for its time and Lara Croft: Tomb Raider managed to earn some praise and a sequel. But those are the few highlights amid a toxic bog of flops and shameless cash-ins: Far Cry, BloodRayne, Alone in the Dark, House of the Dead. Over time, the constant stream of bad Boll movies affected even non-Boll flicks such as Max Payne and Hitman.

View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

24. Re: Op Ed May 24, 2010, 22:11 Slashman

Eldaron Imotholin wrote on May 24, 2010, 17:40:
Kajetan wrote on May 24, 2010, 13:51:
Slashman wrote on May 24, 2010, 10:52:
I generally agree. The problem is, of course, that it is unlikely that the directors and producers have ever played a video game in their lives and most certainly not the game they are making a movie of.
You want a game movie to succeed? Involve people, who know how to make good (!) movies.

I think both. People who know how to make good movies and have played through the whole game(saga) they're gonna make the movie of.

Yeah, that's the thing. Peter Jackson was very familiar with the LOTR source material. He was also a talented film maker.

Chris Roberts stated that he wanted to create some kind of WW2 in space movie. When I saw previews of the set and mock-ups of the ships I was reluctant even before I got to see the film.

He didn't make a Wing Commander movie. Apparently he got so tied up in the fact that he was making a movie at all, he threw his source material out the door. All he did was use names from the game.

I mean...they fired hand-loaded broadside torpedoes...in space! What the hell was that???

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: Op Ed May 24, 2010, 17:40 Eldaron Imotholin

Kajetan wrote on May 24, 2010, 13:51:
I generally agree. The problem is, of course, that it is unlikely that the directors and producers have ever played a video game in their lives and most certainly not the game they are making a movie of.
You want a game movie to succeed? Involve people, who know how to make good (!) movies.

I think both. People who know how to make good movies and have played through the whole game(saga) they're gonna make the movie of.

Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
Future: Dead Space 3.

22. Re: Op Ed May 24, 2010, 13:51 Kajetan

Remember the Wing Commander Movie? Directed and written by the guy, who is responsible for one of the best space flight games ever produced? Who directed all video sequences of WC3 and 4? Who else but Chris Roberts himself could make THE Wing Commander film? And than, i sat in the theater and couldnt decide if i should laugh hysterically or just leave after an hour watching one of the crappiest movies i ever had the "pleasure" to experience. Horrible! Chris Roberts may be THE Wing Commander guy, but he certainly isnt very good at making full lenght feature films.

And you know why the Lord of the Ring movies are so great? Because Peter Jackson is a) a very, very, very talented movie director and b) therefore he knew when to leave the source material and when to stay close. You want a game movie to succeed? Involve people, who know how to make good (!) movies.

21. Re: Op Ed May 24, 2010, 10:52 Slashman

That would be nuts, but leaving it out entirely is nuts too. For example, in the upcoming Prince of Persia movie I expect the prince to do some impossible acrobatic stuff like you see in the game. Something like jumping from pillar to pillar and stuff like that.

I think people definitely want to see close resemblance to the game's gameplay while watching the movie based on the game. In most video game movies its exactly the LACK thereof (and indeed also the reason I quoted from Kajetan) that makes the movie crap.

Max Payne, for example, missed way too much jumping from cover to cover and mowing enemies down in deadly and impossible succession, some of it shot in bullet-time slowmotion. Wouldn't it have been awesome if the Max Payne movie started with Payne kicking in a door (followed by a guy screaming "It's Payne!!") and the next 5 minutes we're watching how he's shooting down 8 guys, while after every kill you get a flashback wherein Max Payne tells the viewer what got him on the hunt (the death of his wife and kid, of course)? Yes. That would've been the proper Max Payne movie entrance, indeed.

I generally agree. The problem is, of course, that it is unlikely that the directors and producers have ever played a video game in their lives and most certainly not the game they are making a movie of. As such, in Max Payne, where one would expect to see liberal use of bullet time and probably some kind of explanation as to how Max goes 'into the zone' in a firefight, we instead get a single crappy instance of misused bullet time and an OK to moderately bad action movie instead.

I won't say it's impossible to make a good video game flick, but instead I'll say that with Hollywood being what it is, I don't see us getting a great one anytime soon.

That's why Valve has been firmly rejecting offers by movie studios about a Half-Life movie. Gordon Freeman in love scares them

20. Re: Op Ed May 24, 2010, 10:39 roguebanshee

Eldaron Imotholin wrote on May 24, 2010, 09:55:
Slashman wrote on May 24, 2010, 09:39:
No one actually wants to sit and watch a movie that closely resembles the gameplay of the game it was based on because that would be nuts.

That would be nuts, but leaving it out entirely is nuts too. For example, in the upcoming Prince of Persia movie I expect the prince to do some impossible acrobatic stuff like you see in the game. Something like jumping from pillar to pillar and stuff like that.
You probably won't be disappointed on the acrobatics stuff. I saw the movie last week (early euro premiere) and I'd say that it's a fairly average summer action movie. You won't be missing much by waiting for the DVD/Blu-Ray, but it will fill out an evening with friends quite well if you do decide to go.

I'd rate it somewhere around 3/5.

19. Re: Op Ed May 24, 2010, 10:29 Warskull

Eldaron Imotholin wrote on May 24, 2010, 07:04:
As for Uwe Boll, I think he has literally NEVER made a good movie in his life. I don't get it at all what he's still doing in the movie business. I guess most of you haven't seen "In The Name of The King: A Dungeon Siege Tale"? Trust me, you'd rather die.

He's had a crazy Producers-esque thing going on with German tax law. The whole investment ends up a massive tax write-off and is an even bigger tax write off if it fails. I think they finally fixed the law a year or two ago.

18. Re: Op Ed May 24, 2010, 09:55 Eldaron Imotholin

Kajetan wrote on May 24, 2010, 07:54:
Does not even try to be a "serious" movie for non-fans of the franchise (main reason, why most game-to-movie production fail miserably). Just a fanboys wet dream come true.

That's indeed what a video game movie should be like. I agree.

Slashman wrote on May 24, 2010, 09:39:
No one actually wants to sit and watch a movie that closely resembles the gameplay of the game it was based on because that would be nuts.

I think people definitely want to see close resemblance to the game's gameplay while watching the movie based on the game. In most video game movies its exactly the LACK thereof (and indeed also the reason I quoted from Kajetan) that makes the movie crap.

Max Payne, for example, missed way too much jumping from cover to cover and mowing enemies down in deadly and impossible succession, some of it shot in bullet-time slowmotion. Wouldn't it have been awesome if the Max Payne movie started with Payne kicking in a door (followed by a guy screaming "It's Payne!!") and the next 5 minutes we're watching how he's shooting down 8 guys, while after every kill you get a flashback wherein Max Payne tells the viewer what got him on the hunt (the death of his wife and kid, of course)? Yes. That would've been the proper Max Payne movie entrance, indeed.

17. Re: Op Ed May 24, 2010, 09:39 Slashman

The problem with making video game movies is that games don't work like movies. In a movie, the plot drives the action, while in a game it's the reverse.

There are probably only a few games that would make good movies if stuck close to their source material. Mass Effect might be one of them, but the problem with that is that ME is so FULL of characters and lore, that presenting it in a movie format would dilute some of the stuff that makes it great.

For the record, I actually enjoyed Mortal Kombat because it didn't try to make much more of what the source material was than it could. It was raw entertainment(with some bad acting), but enjoyable still.

16. Re: Op Ed May 24, 2010, 07:54 Kajetan

Eldaron Imotholin wrote on May 24, 2010, 07:04:
Best movie-based-on-game? Definitely Silent Hill if you ask me.
If you ask me ... it's Final Fantasy Advent Children. The ultimate movie for fans of the game and genre. Does not even try to be a "serious" movie for non-fans of the franchise (main reason, why most game-to-movie production fail miserably). Just a fanboys wet dream come true.

15. Re: Op Ed May 24, 2010, 07:19 Jonny

Do any of you remember the Wing Commander movie? Now that was fucking awful, it's only redeeming feature being it's weird cross between WW2 submarine warfare and WW2 fighter combat. Not that either of them made the slightest bit of sense in space though.  

14. Re: Op Ed May 24, 2010, 07:04 Eldaron Imotholin

Best movie-based-on-game? Definitely Silent Hill if you ask me.

I think Hitman was cap, but like people already mentioned: It would've been better if it had another title. I think there was too little resemblance to Hitman in that movie. It was just action, action, action. Hell it could've just as easily be called Bankok Dangerous.

As for Max Payne? Good visual effects but extremely crap to the core of its definition. The only bullet-time effect was that lousy moment where he jumped backwards and shot that guy off a railing with a shotgun. Fucking pathetic. Seriously, Sin City came closer to Max Payne than the Max Payne movie ever did by a long shot. The Max Payne movie is one of those movies where I can say without a doubt that if they gave me the opportunity to make it, it'd be 10 times as good.

As for Mortal Kombat: I freakin' loved it when I was a kid.

As for Uwe Boll, I think he has literally NEVER made a good movie in his life. I don't get it at all what he's still doing in the movie business. I guess most of you haven't seen "In The Name of The King: A Dungeon Siege Tale"? Trust me, you'd rather die.

13. Re: Op Ed May 24, 2010, 04:30 osage no onna

zirik wrote on May 24, 2010, 01:50:
didnt know they made a movie out of far cry. when and where did it come out?

Ryan from Giant Bomb has pretty entertaining video reviews of bad video game movies. Here's Far Cry.

12. Re: Op Ed May 24, 2010, 02:44 Rilcon

Oh yeah, Doom movie was pretty good, I thought. Loved the sets and it was pretty entertaining overall.

First RE movie was good as well; sequels not so much.

11. Re: Op Ed May 24, 2010, 01:54 Sepharo

zirik wrote on May 24, 2010, 01:50:

It's a Uwe Boll film, don't bother.

10. Re: Op Ed May 24, 2010, 01:50 zirik

9. Re: Op Ed May 24, 2010, 01:28 Linksil

And here I thought I was the only one that liked the hitman movie. I have to say most of the game movies are really good, when you just look at them as movies without trying to compare them to the games. Same settings/ideas, but different takes/universes on them if you will. In this sense I did enjoy Hitman, Silent hill, RE, Tomb raider for themselfs and not this grand film remake of the video game everyone wants to see for some reason. To a lesser extent MK, DOOM fit into this, but in the end just turned out into mindless movies. Pretty much everything with Boll was bad except Postal, which was good type of bad.  
Munching On: Warframe, Final Fantasy 6, Tales of Xallia, Saints Row 4.

8. Re: Op Ed May 24, 2010, 01:23 Warskull

Bhruic wrote on May 23, 2010, 17:37:
Anyone who claims Mortal Kombat was decent and Hitman was bad has automatically lost their argument. Mortal Kombat was an ok camp movie. But it was, without question, a crappy movie. And Hitman, while certainly not great, or even good, was definitely ok - and much better than MK.

I'm not so sure he's calling Hitman bad. He might be saying it was negatively affected by Uwe Boll's crap giving game movies a bad reputation. Its hard to tell, its not written that well and it seems he just wanted to cram as many links in as possible.

I agree that Hitman wasn't bad. Mortal Kombat was bad, but could be enjoyed in a "so bad it's good" kind of way. Hitman wasn't a great movie, but it could be enjoyed as an action movie. If you gave it a different name it would still be a watchable action movie.

7. Re: Op Ed May 23, 2010, 23:30 Nucas

hitman has honestly been my favorite movie translation to date. i thought it was very true to the character, the plot was suitably hitman (some nonsensical crap in eastern europe) and the action was very servicable. and olga kurylenko is unbelievably hot.

max payne's trailer looked incredible and i had high hopes for it but it's pacing was all over the place. it had a lot of great ideas though (i loved how they handled valkyr and it's effects). too bad there was no vlad. and olga kurylenko is unbelievably hot.

6. Re: Op Ed May 23, 2010, 23:24 Razumen

I enjoyed both the Max Payne and Silent Hill movies. Yes, they had their flaws, and deviated somewhat from their sources, but they were both ok/good movies.
Definitively better than the brown-streaks like the Resident Evil and other Uwe Boll abortions.

5. Re: Op Ed May 23, 2010, 21:13 Hyatus

Other than the fact that Angelina Jolie is hot, Tomb Raider(and especially the sequel) sucked zombie balls. And not the good Resident Evil zombie balls, either. We're talking Return of the Living Dead zombie balls.  

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo