Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

New BioShock 2 Content Tuesday

The Cult of Rapture has word to expect new DLC and a new patch for the PC edition of BioShock 2 on Tuesday. This previous post about the console versions has word on the DLC, and this previous post has the PC patch notes. Here's word on Tuesday's updates:

The new BioShock 2 downloadable content will be available for download on Tuesday, May 25th! This includes the Rapture Metro Pack for 800 MS Points, Zigo and Blanche's Character Pack for 160 MS Points, and the new, free Kill 'em Kindly MP mode. The BioShock 2 PC patch will also be out on Tuesday. So start sharpening up your Civil War skills, and I'll see you in Rapture soon.

Note: New content requires BioShock 2 to play.

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Re: New BioShock 2 Content Tuesday May 26, 2010, 09:16 BobBob

Fallout 3 has too many game-breaking bugs.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: New BioShock 2 Content Tuesday May 25, 2010, 22:17 I've Got The News Blues

Kajetan wrote on May 23, 2010, 17:35:
Nobody said so.
Again you missed the point of the original poster's (Mcboinkens) question. He asked if the fact that Bioshock 2 wasn't listed in Steam's top 100 games meant that no one played it online. The truthful answer to that question is "no" it doesn't mean that as I noted in my original reply. You were the one who brought up the irrelevant issue that single-player games are on Steam's list too. However, I already knew that. I didn't mention it because it has no bearing on the original question at all nor on my reply.

But the non-existence in the Top100 list of Steam is a good sign, given the userbase of Steam, that Bioshock 2 might be not very popular with the PC crowd.
As I already pointed out below, no, it actually isn't such a sign or indication when the game isn't exclusive to Steam or doesn't require Steam. 90% or more of the copies of Bioshock 2 may have been sold at retail stores. Therefore in that case 90% of the users of Bioshock 2 wouldn't be counted in those statistics on Steam. Even if some of that 90% of users happen to play Bioshock 2 while running Steam, their usage of the game still wouldn't be included in Steam's stats because Steam only tracks its own games, i.e. games which are linked to its libraries (DLL's).

Therefore, Steam's stats do NOT necessarily indicate how popular a game is or whether it is being played online. They only definitively show how popular a game is which requires Steam.

This comment was edited on May 25, 2010, 22:53.

17. Re: New BioShock 2 Content Tuesday May 23, 2010, 17:35 Kajetan

I've Got The News Blues wrote on May 23, 2010, 16:12:
Therefore Steam's stats on Bioshock 2 users are not an enumeration of how many people are actually playing Bioshock 2 online.
Nobody said so. But the non-existence in the Top100 list of Steam is a good sign, given the userbase of Steam, that Bioshock 2 might be not very popular with the PC crowd. Heck, there is even a "Knights of the Old Republic" in the high seventies, while no sale was around in weeks to boost the playtime of this game.

16. Re: New BioShock 2 Content Tuesday May 23, 2010, 16:16 I've Got The News Blues

The PC Warrior wrote on May 23, 2010, 02:26:
Steam is a pretty good indicator of what games are popular considering the size of the user base.
That is not what I disputed because that is not what the original poster stated. He wanted to know if anyone played the game online. Steam won't tell him the real answer to that because the majority of the copies of this game may have been sold at retail.

If its not even in the Steam top 100 then I doubt many people are playing online.
If you want to know specifically how many people are playing a game online when the game isn't exclusive to Steam and doesn't use Steam to provide its multiplayer functionality, you don't go to Steam to get that information.

This comment was edited on May 23, 2010, 17:06.

15. Re: New BioShock 2 Content Tuesday May 23, 2010, 16:12 I've Got The News Blues

Kajetan wrote on May 23, 2010, 05:26:
The Steam 100 list (http://store.steampowered.com/stats/) measures the overall (!) playtime, single and multiplayer, not only multiplayer. There are a lot of games in this list, which do not have any multiplayer features at all, like Torchlight on position 23.
You missed the point. The fact is that Bioshock 2 doesn't require Steam AND isn't sold exclusively through Steam. The majority of the copies of this game were likely sold at retail not via Steam. Therefore Steam's stats on Bioshock 2 not only don't account for all Bioshock 2 users, but they also don't specifically denote multiplayer users. Therefore Steam's stats on Bioshock 2 users are not an enumeration of how many people are actually playing Bioshock 2 online. Just because a game is not in Steam's list doesn't mean that no one plays it or plays it online.

This comment was edited on May 23, 2010, 17:08.

14. Re: New BioShock 2 Content Tuesday May 23, 2010, 09:20 nin

I've Got The News Blues wrote on May 22, 2010, 21:36:
Bioshock 2 uses Games for Windows Live for its multiplayer not Steam so check the GFWL popularity list to see if people play it online.

The Steam 100 list (http://store.steampowered.com/stats/) measures the overall (!) playtime, single and multiplayer, not only multiplayer. There are a lot of games in this list, which do not have any multiplayer features at all, like Torchlight on position 23.

Never let the facts stand in the way of an Assley Putz tantrum.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

13. Re: New BioShock 2 Content Tuesday May 23, 2010, 05:26 Kajetan

Bioshock 2 uses Games for Windows Live for its multiplayer not Steam so check the GFWL popularity list to see if people play it online.

12. Re: New BioShock 2 Content Tuesday May 23, 2010, 02:26 The PC Warrior

No, because Steam is not the be-all-and-end-all of PC gaming.

Steam is a pretty good indicator of what games are popular considering the size of the user base. If its not even in the Steam top 100 then I doubt many people are playing online.

11. Re: New BioShock 2 Content Tuesday May 22, 2010, 22:12 DangerDog

You probably won't find a tracker for this game, no dedicated servers.

Any list of "most popular" games that MS puts out isn't going to be worth a damn either.

10. Re: New BioShock 2 Content Tuesday May 22, 2010, 21:44 Mcboinkens

Mcboinkens wrote on May 22, 2010, 18:01:
Edit: just checked Steam's top 100 played, didn't even make that. I am assuming it would still show up if people played it, right?
No, because Steam is not the be-all-and-end-all of PC gaming. Bioshock 2 uses Games for Windows Live for its multiplayer not Steam so check the GFWL popularity list to see if people play it online.

Alright cool, thanks for the heades up. I assumed(incorrectly) that anything sold via Steam would show up in its most played. Nice to know that it doesn't register GFWL stuff.

EDIT: Checked GFWL, couldn't find any list or stats. I'll look harder, but if anyone has it bookmarked or something please hook me up.

9. Re: New BioShock 2 Content Tuesday May 22, 2010, 21:36 I've Got The News Blues

Mcboinkens wrote on May 22, 2010, 18:01:
Edit: just checked Steam's top 100 played, didn't even make that. I am assuming it would still show up if people played it, right?
No, because Steam is not the be-all-and-end-all of PC gaming. Bioshock 2 uses Games for Windows Live for its multiplayer not Steam so check the GFWL popularity list to see if people play it online.

8. removed May 22, 2010, 21:19 Diabolus in Musica

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on May 23, 2010, 13:22.

7. Re: New BioShock 2 Content Tuesday May 22, 2010, 19:01 Diabolus in Musica

Silicon Avatar wrote on May 22, 2010, 18:23:
I think the idea of DLC has finally made me skip all the initial releases and wait for the "game of the year" edition around Christmas. You get more, the bugs are ironed out, the price is usually less, and by that time you know for sure whether or not the game is any good.

Agree with everything except that last part. Most of these games you know right away if they're good or not.

6. Re: New BioShock 2 Content Tuesday May 22, 2010, 18:30 ForgedReality

Silicon Avatar wrote on May 22, 2010, 18:23:
I think the idea of DLC has finally made me skip all the initial releases and wait for the "game of the year" edition around Christmas. You get more, the bugs are ironed out, the price is usually less, and by that time you know for sure whether or not the game is any good.

Fallout3 GOTY might be worthwhile, if you liked that game, since it comes with the DLC, so you don't have to worry about getting that separately, and possibly in a more mature form with less bugs.

This comment was edited on May 22, 2010, 18:55.

5. Re: New BioShock 2 Content Tuesday May 22, 2010, 18:23 Silicon Avatar

4. Re: New BioShock 2 Content Tuesday May 22, 2010, 18:15 Marvin T. Martian

Any of this DLC add Single Player content?
If not, the heck with purchasing any points. Greedy

3. Re: New BioShock 2 Content Tuesday May 22, 2010, 18:06 Ray Marden

I sure don't.

It wasn't as good as the first and the stupid focus on MP just reinforces the disregard they have for this franchise.
Maybe if they gave us a real sequel. You know, something *after* the first game.
More likely to replay the original than the sequel,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

2. Re: New BioShock 2 Content Tuesday May 22, 2010, 18:01 Mcboinkens

Hardly. Console wise at least. I was really hoping this would be some single player content. I don't see why they keep force feeding us multiplayer content when there are so many better multiplayer games out there.

This comment was edited on May 22, 2010, 18:07.

1. Re: New BioShock 2 Content Tuesday May 22, 2010, 17:28 ForgedReality

Just curious: Does anybody still play this game?  

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo