Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Portal: Prelude Support Ends

The Portal: Prelude Website indicates they are no longer supporting this Portal modification. They say there's a problem with the mod and the free version of Portal, saying to ask Valve if you have a problem "because it's their entire fault." This is not the only corporation to disappoint them, as they add: "This website itself is no longer maintained since Google dropped most of the features of Blogger in May 2010 and we can't update it anymore without a major overhaul." Thanks Ant.

View
81 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

81. Re: Portal: Prelude Support Ends Jun 2, 2010, 21:25 Sepharo

I've Got The News Blues wrote on May 28, 2010, 16:53:
Sepharo wrote on May 28, 2010, 16:35:
Have you previously seen them make a distinction between game specific mods and total conversion mods?
Valve already appears to make that distinction with mods such as Insurgency. On the store page at http://store.steampowered.com/app/17700/ it states that the mod requires "HL2" not Portal or any other Source engine game. Plus, Valve could certainly impose such a distinction with Steam.

Valve must be listening to you because they've since updated the page you link to. They specifically name free HL2:DM and free Portal as not qualifying, everything else works.

Yeah I know old thread but seeing this today jogged my memory.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

80. Re: Portal: Prelude Support Ends May 29, 2010, 09:14 nin

Quite frankly I am tired of going on about this subject because if you haven't gotten these points by now you either can't read or simply won't admit that I am right.

You say your right and logical but I believe it's all just debating tactics because you anit looking at the whole, just what you are choosing to attack. You are good at your articulation, but the 'logical' line just makes me think you love Star Trek and wish you where Spook

Assley is so tired of the subject, yet he posts in every Valve thread, stirring up as much attention for himself as he can.. Hmmm...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

79. Re: Portal: Prelude Support Ends May 28, 2010, 20:50 Kosumo

I've Got The News Blues wrote on May 28, 2010, 19:16:
Kosumo wrote on May 28, 2010, 18:35:
What? It is worth it?
You misuderstand. It is worth the effort because the restrictions and omissions on the free Portal release are not the only occasion or game where this has happened nor will it likely ever be. So, any implemented changes to Steam to fix this could be used for HL2:DM and any games which have free promotions in the future.

I don't think either of use misuderstand this. The restriction's and less so, if even at all, 'omissions'* where not an accident. Valve has them there by design, It's all good that you spot them and called them out on it (and other stuff), but it not that big a deal to the vast majority (I'd say). Valve has their reasons to do this, if you don't like it, don't partake.

As to you sighting the problem to mod teams (and to a lesser extend end users), when did the mod teams undertake their projects thinking that users where ever gonna be able to get Portal for free?

Quite frankly I am tired of going on about this subject because if you haven't gotten these points by now you either can't read or simply won't admit that I am right.

You say your right and logical but I believe it's all just debating tactics because you anit looking at the whole, just what you are choosing to attack. You are good at your articulation, but the 'logical' line just makes me think you love Star Trek and wish you where Spook

78. Re: Portal: Prelude Support Ends May 28, 2010, 20:49 The PC Warrior

hey guys im right because im long winded and keep saying that im right. everyone else just needs to learn to read, none of you can fathom my awesome intellect.

delete your damaged copy of the game and move on with your life, tossing blowhard.

77. Re: Portal: Prelude Support Ends May 28, 2010, 20:32 I've Got The News Blues

The PC Warrior wrote on May 28, 2010, 19:53:
notice how everyone else thinks youre a moron
No. Since I know that I am not a moron calling me such doesn't change that fact, and since I don't have a weak psyche, it wouldn't hurt me even if someone were foolish enough to think it like you.

You on the other hand are not only a moron, but not even worthy of notice. Next time I won't bother unless you actually post something worth reading.

This comment was edited on May 28, 2010, 21:47.

76. Re: Portal: Prelude Support Ends May 28, 2010, 19:53 The PC Warrior

you dont really have the news, more like posting diarrhea. notice how everyone else thinks youre a moron and youre the only one who seems to think he is correct?

boohoo valve didnt give me modding ability with my free game wahhhhhhhhhhhhh.

*posts 8000 times insisting hes right in the spite of the entire site laughing at him*

75. Re: Portal: Prelude Support Ends May 28, 2010, 19:20 I've Got The News Blues

elefunk wrote on May 28, 2010, 18:47:
He previously extended a thread to roughly the same length as this one
I see that you count as well as you read. Actually this thread is roughly twice as long as that one.

because valve patches their games too much apparently.
That wasn't my point in that thread, but you have already established that you can't read.

74. Re: Portal: Prelude Support Ends May 28, 2010, 19:16 I've Got The News Blues

Kosumo wrote on May 28, 2010, 18:35:
What? It is worth it?
You misuderstand. It is worth the effort because the restrictions and omissions on the free Portal release are not the only occasion or game where this has happened nor will it likely ever be. So, any implemented changes to Steam to fix this could be used for HL2:DM and any games which have free promotions in the future.

It's so clear that they don't give out the SDK with any free game deals
It's not clear at all upfront. First, it didn't state that on page offering Portal under the promotion. The price on the standard store page was simply $0.00 instead of the usual $19.99. Second, regarding the promotions for HL2:DM, while those don't use the main store page for the game like the Portal offer did, there still is no notice that I can see that the ability to use mods or to acquire and use the SDK isn't included in the offer. And, that promotion shouldn't be restricted like that because Valve isn't giving those games away. Nvidia and ATI paid Valve to offer those games.

it is you the is being "greedy" "stingy" asking that a free promotion gives you near unlimited content.
First it's not unreasonable to expect to receive the same offering under a promotion when there's no notice that it is not the same. When I get a free sandwich at a fast food restaraunt using a coupon, I don't expect it to be inferior or spit on because I used the coupon (not unless the coupon says it will be upfront). From May 12-24 the price of Portal was free in the Steam store. There was no notice upfront that it wasn't the same thing that was normally $19.99. Even after the fact Valve didn't announce that it wasn't the same. This mod team had to figure it out. Second, the near unlimited content to which you refer isn't from Valve. It's free content from other users. So, it costs Valve nothing to produce that content since it doesn't produce it. And this particular mod for Portal isn't distributed exclusively on Steam (or at all) so Valve isn't even paying for the bandwidth to distribute it to free Portal users. Valve is simply standing in the way of them being able to play it.

it looks like you are trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill.
Actually I am not the one who made a big deal out of this. You can clearly see that from my initial posts in this thread. I explained why Valve is at fault for this problem and simply called Valve stingy for putting the restriction and omission on the game. I even noted several times in my posts that this isn't the worst thing a game company has ever done, but it's simply needless coming from Valve. However, the fanboys like Verno and elefunk simply can't accept any criticism of Valve especially when it is substantiated like mine is. So, I had to repeatedly explain and justify my position in responding to them. But if they had shutup sooner, I certainly would have.

This comment was edited on May 28, 2010, 20:08.

73. Re: Portal: Prelude Support Ends May 28, 2010, 18:47 elefunk

He previously extended a thread to roughly the same length as this one because valve patches their games too much apparently. Are you really surprised when he makes mountains out of mole hills?

link

For fuck's sake, he's already established the fact that Valve literally sent agents to their house, grabbed his puppy directly out of his hands, and slowly broke its neck in front of him only to leave it for dead right on his living room floor. It's obvious that he holds a grudge!

72. Re: Portal: Prelude Support Ends May 28, 2010, 18:35 Kosumo

It is worth it, and it wouldn't take much work or time to fix it.

What? It is worth it? So can you tell me why Valve done the Portal for free for a limited time deal?, That's right, to promote Steam on MAC. As I see it they have achived that and given people on MAC a reason to install Steam.

It's so clear that they don't give out the SDK with any free game deals, be they download or with graphics cards ect. That the reason is most likely due to total conversion like Sepharo said that for most people, it is you the is being "greedy" "stingy" asking that a free promotion gives you near unlimited content.

It's not that you are wrong, it's just that you are as bad as you are making them out to be.

I get it, you don't like Valve\Steam and like to point out things that it does poorly - that's fine, only it looks like you are trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill.

71. Re: Portal: Prelude Support Ends May 28, 2010, 16:53 I've Got The News Blues

Sepharo wrote on May 28, 2010, 16:35:
Have you previously seen them make a distinction between game specific mods and total conversion mods?
Valve already appears to make that distinction with mods such as Insurgency. On the store page at http://store.steampowered.com/app/17700/ it states that the mod requires "HL2" not Portal or any other Source engine game. Plus, Valve could certainly impose such a distinction with Steam.

I don't think Valve is going to spend time upsetting their established rules and dependencies for a limited time promotion.
It is worth it, and it wouldn't take much work or time to fix it. Also, the free release of Portal isn't the only case where this happens. People who receive Half-Life 2 Deathmatch (HL2:DM) for free under the ATI and Nvidia promotions also don't receive the SDK and modding capability for that game whereas those who pay for HL2:DM do. That's another case where Valve shouldn't impose the restrictions especially because ATI and Nvidia paid Valve to give away those games to owners of its products.

This comment was edited on May 28, 2010, 20:02.

70. Re: Portal: Prelude Support Ends May 28, 2010, 16:35 Sepharo

I've Got The News Blues wrote on May 28, 2010, 16:09:
Valve can exercise a lot of granular control over users' games with Steam.
You've added this part on in your edit, but I don't think that necessarily true with this case. Have you previously seen them make a distinction between game specific mods and total conversion mods? Obviously it's possible, just depends on the amount of work needed. I don't think Valve is going to spend time upsetting their established rules and dependencies for a limited time promotion.

69. No subject May 28, 2010, 16:09 I've Got The News Blues

Sepharo wrote on May 28, 2010, 15:55:
Valve was releasing Portal for free, not the ability to play every TC mod out there.
Allowing users who acquired Portal under the promotion to play mods for Portal itself and even use the SDK to make maps or content for Portal itself is not the ability to play every mod for every Source game. Valve doesn't have to totally slam the door on this functionality for free Portal users to prevent them from playing mods for other Source games. There is certainly a technical solution to this problem. Valve can exercise a lot of granular control over users' games with Steam.

This comment was edited on May 28, 2010, 16:23.

68. Re: Your are still wrong. May 28, 2010, 15:55 Sepharo

I've Got The News Blues wrote on May 28, 2010, 15:36:
... even if a user had wanted to pay for the game instead of receive it for free, he could not have done so during the promotion.
This is actually one of the few good points I've seen you make. You should have focused on that more.

As someone who grew up playing (almost solely) total conversion mods, I have to agree with Valve in this. Valve was releasing Portal for free, not the ability to play every TC mod out there. Portal was free, not Pirates Vikings and Knights 2, not Fistful of Frags, not Dystopia, and not the hundreds of other mods that would come with that ability.

67. You are still wrong. May 28, 2010, 15:36 I've Got The News Blues

Verno wrote on May 28, 2010, 08:24:
Hold on a minute, offered less? You're comparing the value of a free promotional offering with a commercial one.
There you go again with semantic games. I'm not comparing the value of anything. The value is irrelevant. It's the missing functionality that is important here. It wasn't included and should have been. At the very least the missing functionality should have been disclosed upfront to prevent complaints and the burden on mod developers like the one in this news story.

An SDK is not a piece of functionality inside of the game
You continue to prove that you can't read. As I noted many times in this thread, there are actually two things missing from the release of Portal under the promotion: the SDK and the ability to run mods. The SDK and the ability of the game to run mods are both excluded by Steam's restrictions if Portal was acquired under the promotion. Whether or not the SDK is "inside" the game or not is more of your irrelevant semantics. Those two things were excluded from the game if acquired during the promotion. They were included before and afterwards.

there are no contractual obligations for a free product release in the first place.
It was indicated as being included on the product page. It wasn't. Whether or not there is a legal obligation to provide it isn't the point here. The actual point is that it was a stingy and deceitful move by Valve not to include it. I'm not going to sue Valve over it, and I doubt any of the other free Portal users are either. But, the SDK and ability to run mods should have been included with the game as it is for users who pay. If Valve was going to give something away for free, then it should have given away the full package that is normally for sale. There was no indication that these extra features would be left out, and it wouldn't have bankrupted Valve to provide them. If you'd take your head out of Valve's ass, then this wouldn't be so hard for you to understand and accept.

I've already pointed out the fact that the Portal steampowered page was created for the sold product, not the free game.
Yes, you did, and you are wrong about that. It was created for the game, period. It wasn't changed during the promotion, and even if a user had wanted to pay for the game instead of receive it for free, he could not have done so during the promotion.

you continue to insist that there is some sinister motive, I'm quoting you here - "and it lied about it upfront" as if there was some malicious intent to deceive consumers.
Valve lied about what was included with the game. Period. It was deceiving. The restrictions that are placed by Steam on the game are real, and they aren't accidental. There was also no upfront notice about them.

You continue to act like you're some wronged party here
There are two wronged parties here: the people who received the free Portal game but can't play mods because of the restrictions and the developers of this mod and others who had to needlessly spend time trying to solve the complaints about it. Is this the worst thing in the world? No, it isn't and I said as much several times below. But, it's still a needless problem which Valve intentionally created and will not fix by removing the restrictions and providing the SDK. It was a needless, stingy, and deceitful ploy by Valve. Valve didn't need to piss in this free lunch, and it could easily fix this problem with the proverbial flip of a switch in Steam.

when your entire argument is based on bias and emotion about the company itself.
My entire argument is based upon the facts: what was provided, what wasn't, and what was claimed about the offer at the time. That Valve was deceitful can't be rationally disputed given the description of the game on the official store page. The only emotional part is my determination that it was stingy for Valve to do this given that it wasn't necessary and the company could afford to offer the full game. I don't expect a fanboy like you to agree with that assessment because in your eyes Valve can do no wrong and even if it does, it's excusable because it's a better company than others.

I'd love to see a rational argument that showcases the functionality in Portal that was disabled. There was none.
You obviously didn't read the news article above because such a rational argument has already been provided. The functionality to run that mod is disabled by Steam for free users. That is the whole point of this news story.

This isn't a problem with the game though.
It IS a problem with the game. The game won't run this mod or any mods for users who acquired it under the promotion because of these limitations and missing functionality. You are simply playing games with semantics to avoid admitting this fact.

And it doesn't mean that reasonable people can point out when you're being an idiot about it either.
You certainly are not reasonable, and it is you who is an idiot.

your pity tale
Again learn to read. I didn't write this news story or first report this problem. I simply explained to the poster who asked the details of this problem and why it occurred. It is you and a few other fanboys in this thread who refuse to believe it and took personal offense at my criticism of Valve over it.

centered around something not even in the game itself
More of your semantic games. The end result is the same regardless of whether the missing parts are described as "in" the game or not.

that no one forced on you at any point
The fact that acquiring the game was voluntary doesn't make the problems Valve needlessly caused here justifiable.

is hard to swallow.
You apparently have no trouble sucking and swallowing what Valve spews out.

There is no deceit as the company has no obligation to disclose anything upfront to you when you are downloading a free game for a promotion.
Wow, that is so ridiculous it even exceeds everything else you have written in this thread. Do you honestly believe that because something is offered without a price, that a company has no legal or even ethical obligation to disclose anything about what it is offering? So, if Valve included remote monitoring functionality or advertising monitoring functionality in its software, it has no obligation to disclose this if the software is offered for free? There is a whole litany of consumer protection laws here in the US that companies must follow regardless of whether their products or services are offered for free. The fact that you are ignorant of that demonstrates exactly why I have had to repeatedly explain my position to you in this thread. Lest there was any doubt that you aren't reasonable and rational, that statement of yours proves that you aren't.

People can believe whatever they want, it doesn't make them correct
They are correct. You are the one who isn't right in this case.

This comment was edited on May 28, 2010, 22:15.

66. Re: Portal: Prelude Support Ends May 28, 2010, 08:24 Verno

I've Got The News Blues wrote on May 27, 2010, 16:45:
Actually you are the one who is playing semantic games. Regardless of whether you call it the "full" game or not, the fact is that Valve offered less and limited the functionality of the game if it was obtained for free during the promotion versus if it were purchased.

Hold on a minute, offered less? You're comparing the value of a free promotional offering with a commercial one. Portal for free has no value, how can they offer less than nothing? Your logical contradiction has pointed out to you before, you need to take your own advice about learning to read. An SDK is not a piece of functionality inside of the game, it is a post product addition and there are no contractual obligations for a free product release in the first place.

Apparently you don't think. Of course Valve determined what constitutes the full game when it described and included on the store page what is included with the game. But, Valve didn't include that full offering with the free release, and it programmed Steam to impose restrictions on the free release. Your semantic games don't change that fact.

I've already pointed out the fact that the Portal steampowered page was created for the sold product, not the free game. It is not uncommon for companies to reuse prewritten material and existing assets for advertising campaigns and sales. You're (hopefully) smart enough to know this already (probably not actually) but you continue to insist that there is some sinister motive, I'm quoting you here - "and it lied about it upfront" as if there was some malicious intent to deceive consumers. There was no intent, there was no actual harm because there was no money involved. Any other argument is simple emotion as there is no other potential damage to anything here, it is a non-issue. You continue to act like you're some wronged party here when your entire argument is based on bias and emotion about the company itself. Even if I were to believe you were in the 1% of the PC gaming population who have Steam but don't already own any Source products, you still come off as a petulant whiner.

No, it doesn't. It boils down to whether Valve limited the game and what was offered with it when it was free versus pay. And, the answer to that is an absolute "yes."

I'd love to see a rational argument that showcases the functionality in Portal that was disabled. There was none. The SDK is not the game.

There are no logical holes. You simply cannot logically defend your position. Valve gimped the game and didn't offer what it claimed. Period.

Read above. Your entitlement complex is not Valve's problem. Period.

The fact that the game was offered for free doesn't mean that it is free from problems and there should be no complaints about it.

This isn't a problem with the game though. And it doesn't mean that reasonable people can point out when you're being an idiot about it either. Free doesn't mean free of criticism but your pity tale centered around something not even in the game itself that no one forced on you at any point is hard to swallow.

It's only nitpicking to a Valve apologist like you, and when the page was created is irrelevant. It should have been modified during the promotion so that it wasn't a false representation of what was included.

Again since you are apparently a huge hypocrite and don't actually read much yourself, I am frequently critical of Valve on this site as they are simply a company and not a personal friend or enemy. It often causes me no end of grief from their actual fanboys around here. Your argument is simply irrational and filled with childish self-entitlement. The actual company represented doesn't matter, I'd still call you out for being a big baby if it was Activision or EA.

It's not arbitrary. It's the official description of the product. It's basically the "box" for a digitally distributed item. It's no different than if the box for an item stated that it included something that it actually didn't. Only a fanboy would dismiss that as "arbitrary."

You weren't sold a product and you received no box. There is no deceit as the company has no obligation to disclose anything upfront to you when you are downloading a free game for a promotion.

Obviously the free Portal users and the Portal Prelude mod team do believe that Valve did something wrong. Hence the complaints.

People can believe whatever they want, it doesn't make them correct nor make their argument tenable in the face of scrutiny. I could get on your side if they said "hey heres Portal the game for free!" then gave you half of the actual game. Even then it would be dubious because in the end no one is forcing you to obtain or play the game but I could at least understand where the frustration came from. They didn't do that, they gave you Portal.

This comment was edited on May 28, 2010, 08:37.

Playing: Dark Souls 2
Watching: Legends, Intruders, Apocalypse Now

65. Re: You're hopeless, fanboy. May 27, 2010, 16:45 I've Got The News Blues

Verno wrote on May 27, 2010, 15:17:
Now you're just being silly about semantics.
Actually you are the one who is playing semantic games. Regardless of whether you call it the "full" game or not, the fact is that Valve offered less and limited the functionality of the game if it was obtained for free during the promotion versus if it were purchased.

I think Valve will determine what constitutes "the full game" when they give away the content, not some random forum poster on the Internet.
Apparently you don't think. Of course Valve determined what constitutes the full game when it described and included on the store page what is included with the game. But, Valve didn't include that full offering with the free release, and it programmed Steam to impose restrictions on the free release. Your semantic games don't change that fact.

It boils down to whether or not Valve intended to give away Portal the game or Portal the game and the platform for user created content
No, it doesn't. It boils down to whether Valve limited the game and what was offered with it when it was free versus pay. And, the answer to that is an absolute "yes."

Regardless, there is no moral breach of consumers here as they set out to give away Portal and did exactly that, going by their language in the press release anyways.
Morals are subjective. However, to me and apparently to the people complaining to the developer of the Portal Prelude mod, lying about what is included with the game isn't a moral thing to do.

Your argument has numerous logical holes
There are no logical holes. You simply cannot logically defend your position. Valve gimped the game and didn't offer what it claimed. Period.

begin with the fact that you are complaining about a free product
The fact that the game was offered for free doesn't mean that it is free from problems and there should be no complaints about it. Hence the subject of this news story. Valve needlessly restricted/limited the free offering by not including the ability to play mods or to obtain and use the SDK. And, Valve did this while not owning up to these restrictions.

and end with nitpicking things on the store page which was obviously created long beforehand anyways.
It's only nitpicking to a Valve apologist like you, and when the page was created is irrelevant. It should have been modified during the promotion so that it wasn't a false representation of what was included.

Portal the game was given away by Valve.
On the surface that is true, but as this news story proves the devil is in the details.

User added content is not part of the game itself nor is the ability to create, edit or manipulate that content. Games are sold in many SKUs, there is no single "The Game". Portal has been packed in with videocards, it's been given away on Steam and it's been sold through bundles as well as other things I am probably forgeting.
More irrelevance from you. The only fact which matters here is what did Valve actually give away and what did it claim about it beforehand. We both know the real answer to that as I have written it in this thread more times than I care to count. You simply won't admit it.

Valve as the company responsible for publishing the game gets to determine how those releases happen, not the consumer. There is a reason these things are logically separated by name in the first place which -you- keep ignoring.
I'm ignoring it because it is irrelevant. I am not saying that Valve couldn't gimp the free release of Portal as it did. It certainly has the right to do it. According to the Steam Subscriber Agreement Valve could shutdown the game at any time and not allow anyone to play the game ever again regardless if they paid for it or not. But, that's not the point. The point is that it was deceitful and stingy to restrict the free release of Portal to prevent it from running mods and not include the SDK. That is what the free Portal users and this mod team are complaining about. Valve didn't need to piss in this free lunch and then dump the complaints on them. But, it did, and all of your pathetic excuses for it don't change that fact.

And many free games do not.
Again what other free games do isn't actually relevant to this issue. The issue here is what did Valve do and not do. Second, I can't think of any games which have SDK's or mods aside from these of Valve's which don't work with mods or the SDK in their free releases.

You never addressed which governing body determines what companies are allowed to give away for free to consumers and the process by which those determinations are made.
There you go off on a tangent again. The issue here is that Valve restricted the free release and that it mispresented what it offered. Period.

You simply claim that anything on an arbitrary webpage intended for purchasers of the product
It's not arbitrary. It's the official description of the product. It's basically the "box" for a digitally distributed item. It's no different than if the box for an item stated that it included something that it actually didn't. Only a fanboy would dismiss that as "arbitrary."

We can argue semantics all day but you cannot escape the fact that no one purchased this content, it was given away for free.
You are arguing semantics. I am not. My argument is factual. And the fact is that regardless of the price paid for the game, what was offered and represented as the game was not the same during the promotion as what was offered as the game before and after it. The fact that the game is free doesn't change that or excuse it. If Valve wants to piss in a free lunch, it certainly can do it. It just proved it. But, it's still stingy, and it's deceitful too in this case because it wasn't disclosed upfront.

I'm far from a Valve fanboy
Your posts here show otherwise.

in fact I'm usually accused of being the opposite around here
That's not a surprise since fanboys usually do that to each other so that they can appear to be the most hardcore.

Your whole "I don't have to make an argument" being your argument
First, that is not my whole argument, and you would know that if you could read. I simply am not going to take your bait and go off on your irrelevant tangent because you are wrong on the actual subject of this thread. Second, it is hypocritical of you to claim that I didn't elaborate on your irrelevant tangential issue when you didn't substantiate your own opinion on it that Valve "treats its consumers far better than most publishers and retailers."

Except that your supposed "facts" and "reasons" are mired in the obvious bias you present them with and don't support the argument you're trying to make.
No, my facts and reasoning perfectly support my argument. Your obvious bias for Valve simply prevents you from accepting the facts.

that Valve should edited a store page to prevent odd users from sperging out about it.
Your childish insult aside that is as close to an admission that I am right that I would expect from a Valve fanboy like you.

You haven't convinced me
I don't expect a fanboy like you to be convinced. It is obvious that you can't accept the truth that Valve was stingy by restricting the game for free users, and it lied about it upfront.

they did anything wrong by not providing the SDK for free as well.
Obviously the free Portal users and the Portal Prelude mod team do believe that Valve did something wrong, hence the complaints.

I'm not exactly the first person in the topic to point these things out to you judging from the re-read I just did.
You need to read it again because you obviously didn't understand what you read. But I do agree that you're not the first person in this thread to reply to my posts and be wrong.

This comment was edited on May 27, 2010, 19:37.

64. Re: You're hopeless, fanboy. May 27, 2010, 15:17 Verno

I've Got The News Blues wrote on May 27, 2010, 14:57:
No, Valve did not give away the full Portal game. The full game comes with the SDK and the ability to play mods. This free promotional release did not.

Now you're just being silly about semantics. I think Valve will determine what constitutes "the full game" when they give away the content, not some random forum poster on the Internet. It boils down to whether or not Valve intended to give away Portal the game or Portal the game and the platform for user created content and I think only Valve can realistically make that determination of their intent. Regardless, there is no moral breach of consumers here as they set out to give away Portal and did exactly that, going by their language in the press release anyways.

I already made such an argument many times below. First if you give away the full game, then it should come with everything that comes with the full game. The SDK and the ability to run mods come with the full version of Portal. Second, on the Steam store page it plainly states that Portal comes with the SDK, and it stated this during the promotional period. However the game did not actually come with the SDK or the ability to run mods. So, that description was a blatant lie.

Your argument has numerous logical holes that begin with the fact that you are complaining about a free product and end with nitpicking things on the store page which was obviously created long beforehand anyways. Portal the game was given away by Valve. User added content is not part of the game itself nor is the ability to create, edit or manipulate that content. Games are sold in many SKUs, there is no single "The Game". Portal has been packed in with videocards, it's been given away on Steam and it's been sold through bundles as well as other things I am probably forgeting. Valve as the company responsible for publishing the game gets to determine how those releases happen, not the consumer. There is a reason these things are logically separated by name in the first place which -you- keep ignoring.

Also as I mentioned below free games from other developers and publishers have come with SDK's and work with mods. FEAR Combat and Enemy Territory are two prominent examples.

And many free games do not. Not to mention the free games that get retooled for advertising or what about who exactly determines what should or shouldn't be included in the game. You never addressed which governing body determines what companies are allowed to give away for free to consumers and the process by which those determinations are made. You simply claim that anything on an arbitrary webpage intended for purchasers of the product as if it is somehow a contractual obligation of Valve to provide it to people. You are incorrect both legally and logically.

Simnply serving as an advertisement is NOT what Valve did here. It went further and gimped the offered game so that it wasn't the same as the full game offering that was described on the store page. And, it did this to compel people to pay to regain the missing functionality.

We can argue semantics all day but you cannot escape the fact that no one purchased this content, it was given away for free. You cannot make a reasonable argument that people were denied something they never had in the first place, especially not in the case of a free game.

That simply isn't true, but it would take far too long to elaborate the many reasons why. And in the end a Valve fanboy like you wouldn't read or accept it anyway as you obviously didn't actually read what I wrote below either.

I'm far from a Valve fanboy, in fact I'm usually accused of being the opposite around here so your insults are not only wasted but a bit foolish. Your whole "I don't have to make an argument" being your argument isn't terribly convincing either.

Only because you don't know how to read. My posts in this thread are exactly on topic and describe in detail the facts and reasons of what happened here and why. You simply have covered your eyes so that you "see no evil" against your beloved Valve.

Except that your supposed "facts" and "reasons" are mired in the obvious bias you present them with and don't support the argument you're trying to make. The only thing I can conclusively say about this situation after looking at it and seeing all of the arguments here is that Valve should edited a store page to prevent odd users from sperging out about it. You haven't convinced me(or anyone else in the topic it would seem) that they did anything wrong by not providing the SDK for free as well. I have little to no history with you as a poster and I'm not exactly the first person in the topic to point these things out to you judging from the re-read I just did.

This comment was edited on May 27, 2010, 15:33.

Playing: Dark Souls 2
Watching: Legends, Intruders, Apocalypse Now

63. Re: You're hopeless, fanboy. May 27, 2010, 15:16 nin

Any chance of banning Assley's latest account?

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

62. You're hopeless, fanboy. May 27, 2010, 14:57 I've Got The News Blues

Verno wrote on May 27, 2010, 08:38:
Valve gave away the full Portal game, thus your assertion is incorrect.
No, Valve did not give away the full Portal game. The full game comes with the SDK and the ability to play mods. This free promotional release did not.

I don't think you can make a reasonable argument that the SDK should be included in a free game giveaway
I already made such an argument many times below. You just keep ignoring it. So, here it is again. First if you give away the full game, then it should come with everything and every functionality that comes with the full game. The SDK and the ability to run mods come with the full version of Portal. Second, on the Steam store page it plainly states that Portal comes with the SDK, and it stated this during the promotional period. However the game did not actually come with the SDK or the ability to run mods. So, that description was a blatant lie.

Also even though it is not necessary to prove my point free games from other developers and publishers have come with the access to their SDK's and the ability to work with mods. FEAR Combat and Enemy Territory are two prominent examples. And, those games weren't free for only 13 days either.

What about developer commentaries?
Those also should have come with the free release of Portal since it is listed as being included with the game on the Steam store page. I didn't mention it because it is not relevant to the subject of this thread.

How about soundtracks that were included in deluxe editions?
If it were included on the store page as being included with the game then it should come with the game regardless of the price paid. Period.

I don't see you upset about the lack of bonus features in other free games
First, that's not relevant. This thread is about what Valve did not about some other game, developer, or publisher. Second, I am not aware of any other free game offer that was similarly limited or restricted especially one which was misrepresented as what Valve did with this free Portal offer. If I were and it were a news story here, I would be complaining about it as well. Finally, even if some other game developer or publisher had done the same thing, that doesn't make what Valve did here acceptable or right. What Valve did is still a deceitful, stingy ploy.

Of course giving away a game is an advertisement for other games, since when isn't that the case?
Here's another red herring from you. Simply serving as an advertisement is NOT what Valve did here. It went further and gimped the offered game so that it wasn't the same as the full game offering that was described on the store page. And, it did this to compel people to pay to regain the missing functionality.

Valve is in business to make money but treats its consumers far better than most publishers and retailers have over the past five years so while I wouldn't say they are 100% altruistic, they are certainly a step above the competition.
That simply isn't true, but it would take far too long to elaborate the many reasons why. And in the end a Valve fanboy like you wouldn't read or accept it anyway as you obviously didn't actually read what I wrote below either.

You sound like you have a problem with Valve as opposed to an actual problem with this subject.
Only because you don't know how to read. My posts in this thread are exactly on topic and describe in detail the facts and reasons of what happened here and why. You simply have covered your eyes so that you "see no evil" against your beloved Valve.

This comment was edited on May 27, 2010, 15:18.

81 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo