Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Safety Dance

View
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

12. Re: Safety Dance May 21, 2010, 17:56 OldScho0l

VoodooV wrote on May 21, 2010, 13:09:
I also like how the article points out that the victim was a church-goer. How the fuck is that relevant?

News is anything but news these days.

heheheheee I shop at Walmart! I guess I'm vulnerable too. I gotta rethink this whole thing now. I may never leave my house again.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: Murderer used Google Earth before targeting victimís home. May 21, 2010, 17:54 OldScho0l

LittleMe wrote on May 21, 2010, 10:40:
If the murderer wore shoes we should consider banning those too. He probably could not have committed the murder without the shoes. Anyone buying shoes should be entered into a database and we should look for patterns and develop sophisticated software to track them as they travel.

LMAO! If that's the case, my wife is in some deep trouble. She has at least 400 pairs of shoes.

10. Re: Safety Dance May 21, 2010, 17:53 OldScho0l

OMG!!! Who could possibly have imagined that criminals would use Google Maps! This is shocking! Imagine how much safer we were when we just had a phone book and a paper maps. /facepalm  

9. Re: Murderer used Google Earth before targeting victimís home. May 21, 2010, 15:56 LittleMe

Why so defensive? Nowhere in that article does it advocate banning Google Maps. In fact it places no blame on Google at all.

Well, okay I sensationalized a bit with regard to banning. Instead maybe we should regulate who can have access to Google Maps. Anyone with a criminal record should not have access to Google maps. That way we aren't banning anything.

The article simply states the fact that it was used in the planning of the crime and the selection of the target. Calm down.

Because they are exploiting a vulnerability in how the human brain works. In the headline they directly equate Google Earth with a murderer and his victim. That type of headline is a way to push an agenda on people.

I'm not upset exactly, just pointing out the absurdity of the story.

But I'm glad Blue posted it here.

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

8. Re: Safety Dance May 21, 2010, 15:48 LittleMe

I'm sure there were many readers of this article who thought the burglar could see the window was open on the day from Google Earth.

Good point!

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

7. Re: Murderer used Google Earth before targeting victimís home. May 21, 2010, 15:36 Longswd

I was just going to carp on the big headline regarding Google Earth and ask, so bloody what? I see others picked up on that as well.

No doubt the perp used a %name brand% vehicle to drive there. He wore %name brand% cloths, talked on his %name brand% phone, observed the residence with %name brand% binoculars etc. etc. etc..

Of what possible fucking relevance is the name of the tools he used in perpetrating the crime? Answer, none.

Fear mongering media (with a dash of secret agenda?) at it's finest.

I don't always drink carbonated Mexican rat piss, but when I do, I prefer Dos Equis.

6. Re: Safety Dance May 21, 2010, 13:14 Sux

quote:
"He went on to select Mrs Thomsponís home as ďan easy targetĒ, getting in through an open bathroom window last September".

I'm sure there were many readers of this article who thought the burglar could see the window was open on the day from Google Earth.

5. Re: Safety Dance May 21, 2010, 13:09 VoodooV

I also like how the article points out that the victim was a church-goer. How the fuck is that relevant?

News is anything but news these days.

4. Re: Safety Dance May 21, 2010, 12:59 Sux

It does sensationalize google earth as a tool for crime.
The house was an easy target because the bathroom window was left open, not because the robber was able to single out a particular house from google map as being an easy target.

3. Re: Murderer used Google Earth before targeting victimís home. May 21, 2010, 12:53 VoodooV

Then why does the article exist? Why is it newsworthy that a killer used Google Earth?

If an article about how the killer used shoes to get to his target is not newsworthy, then why is using Google Earth newsworthy?

The answer is, as usual, fear. News organizations never miss an opportunity to spread needless fear.

2. Re: Murderer used Google Earth before targeting victimís home. May 21, 2010, 12:36 EricTheMad

Why so defensive? Nowhere in that article does it advocate banning Google Maps. In fact it places no blame on Google at all. The article simply states the fact that it was used in the planning of the crime and the selection of the target. Calm down.

If one synchronized swimmer drowns, do they all drown? -- Bucky B. Katt

1. Murderer used Google Earth before targeting victimís home. May 21, 2010, 10:40 LittleMe

If the murderer wore shoes we should consider banning those too. He probably could not have committed the murder without the shoes. Anyone buying shoes should be entered into a database and we should look for patterns and develop sophisticated software to track them as they travel.  

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo