Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

IndustryGamers has word that Avatar: The Game has sold well in excess of 2.5 million copies. This comes in spite of mediocre review scores and Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot saying the game's timing was all wrong. Just another example of why movie games are rarely good: they don't need to be.

View
32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

12. Re: Avatar Game Sells Well May 20, 2010, 06:06 eRe4s3r

He made them blue because blue is the best color ever, and you are posting on BluesNews to boot, where even the news are blue (and white/yellow ~.~).. So blue ftw  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: Avatar Game Sells Well May 20, 2010, 04:55 Hoop

Lets be serious grandmas are a real problem in market forecasting.
Where does the "grandma factor" begin and end?
If your off by a few cents in your pricing grandma does'nt bite.
If your too low grandma feels the kids gonna call her out.
Positioning is another consideration....this is where Avatar and Camerons genius won out.
He made the Navi blue because?.....because he could see the link to blue rinse, blue rinse grandmas use to dye their hair!
Booya!
An avatar stand in every drug store.

Um .. Behind you...

10. Re: Avatar Game Sells Well May 20, 2010, 04:49 .Drifter

My grandmothers never bought me any video or computer games, going all the way back to the days of the Atari 2600.
If anyone bought me a game, it was one of my parents.
And to be honest, I don't see very many, if any, grandparent age looking people in most video game stores, nor in the game section in most super stores (ie. Walmart, Kmart, Target, or even Best Buy).
Granted, I don't spend all day every day in these places, so I could be missing it. This is just personal experience though, and those vary person to person.
Edited to clarify, this isn't a comment to anyone in particular, just to the "Grandma bought it" comment itself since I've heard it for years and always wondered where these mythical, game buying grandma's were at, lol.

9. Re: Avatar Game Sells Well May 20, 2010, 02:08 Sepharo

I don't deny the price cuts were a huge factor but they just simply enabled more grandmothers to buy it.  

8. Re: Avatar Game Sells Well May 20, 2010, 01:48 Graham

Actually, one of the reasons it did remarkably well is because the price crashed hard mere weeks after launch. Some retailers hit as low as $19.99 during a key buying season. Let's be honest - there are plenty of games out there that are unthinkable at $60, but pretty decent for $20.

While the grandma factor may have accounted for a percentage of sales, we're all deluding ourselves (no shock, it's the Bluesnews comments section) if we attribute the entire performance to that. Instead it's far more reasonable to conclude that Ubsioft strategically cleared their inventory at cut rate prices while hype for the film was still hot.

7. Re: Avatar Game Sells Well May 20, 2010, 01:45 BobBob

The blue people were American Indians. *yawn*  

6. Re: Avatar Game Sells Well May 20, 2010, 01:41 ForgedReality

Jerykk wrote on May 20, 2010, 00:38:
What the movie tonight. It's really good in retrospect. I can see why it was nominated for an Oscar.

What? Avatar was basically a sci-fi remake of Pocahontas. It was a decent movie but completely generic and forgettable.
Yeah. It was really awesome in true IMAX 3d on an actual 6 story tall screen. That experience was pretty unbeatable, but story-wise, yeah....

5. Re: Avatar Game Sells Well May 20, 2010, 00:38 Jerykk

What the movie tonight. It's really good in retrospect. I can see why it was nominated for an Oscar.

What? Avatar was basically a sci-fi remake of Pocahontas. It was a decent movie but completely generic and forgettable.

4. Re: Avatar Game Sells Well May 20, 2010, 00:33 Kxmode

What Watched the movie tonight. It's really good in retrospect. I can see why it was nominated for an Oscar.

Edit: grammar monkeys!

This comment was edited on May 20, 2010, 00:56.

3. Re: Avatar Game Sells Well May 19, 2010, 23:12 ForgedReality

Diabolus in Musica wrote on May 19, 2010, 22:21:
Can you point out some more blatantly obvious shit for us?
It's not blatantly obvious to Ubi, obviously, or they wouldn't be boasting about the sales in this press release.

2. Re: Avatar Game Sells Well May 19, 2010, 22:21 Diabolus in Musica

ForgedReality wrote on May 19, 2010, 21:42:
2.5 million grandmas buying it for their grandkids as birthday presents. Nobody really wants this game.

Can you point out some more blatantly obvious shit for us?

1. Re: Avatar Game Sells Well May 19, 2010, 21:42 ForgedReality

2.5 million grandmas buying it for their grandkids as birthday presents. Nobody really wants this game.  

32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo