Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

IndustryGamers has word that Avatar: The Game has sold well in excess of 2.5 million copies. This comes in spite of mediocre review scores and Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot saying the game's timing was all wrong. Just another example of why movie games are rarely good: they don't need to be.

View
32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

32. Re: Avatar Game Sells Well May 21, 2010, 17:16 Kxmode

BobBob wrote on May 21, 2010, 02:16:
We need to remove all the prefixed words and just call ourselves "American". Adding an extra term simply creates division. Otherwise, the next time someone asks me, I'll say I'm a Polish-English-German-Irish American.

Well on the Census I almost selected the generic "White". Then I felt sad because "white" sounded so boring among a plethora of racial choices! So I came up with a really cool hyphenated race! Irish-German-American-Human! Badass isn't it?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

31. Re: Avatar Game Sells Well May 21, 2010, 02:32 BobBob

In otherwords, we're both American.  

30. Re: Avatar Game Sells Well May 21, 2010, 02:24 Sepharo

BobBob wrote on May 21, 2010, 02:16:
We need to remove all the prefixed words and just call ourselves "American". Adding an extra term simply creates division. Otherwise, the next time someone asks me, I'll say I'm a Polish-English-German-Irish American.

Wow very close to mine Polish-Hungarian-German-English American.

29. Re: Avatar Game Sells Well May 21, 2010, 02:16 BobBob

28. Re: Avatar Game Sells Well May 21, 2010, 02:15 Jerykk

I think it's amazing that most of you say you dislike the movie on the merits of the story and not the special effects. I would like to remind you that many scenes were completely CGI. By itself that was completely amazing.

I don't see why you find that amazing. As a tech demo, Avatar was great. As a film? Not so much. I generally prefer substance over style.

27. Re: Avatar Game Sells Well May 21, 2010, 02:01 Kxmode

ForgedReality wrote on May 20, 2010, 14:11:
kxmode wrote on May 20, 2010, 12:49:
I think it's amazing that most of you say you dislike the movie on the merits of the story and not the special effects. I would like to remind you that many scenes were completely CGI. By itself that was completely amazing.
And they invented a special 3d camera just for this movie.

Which is weird considering you can't film "CGI" stuff. All that 3D had to be applied to special effects, and then integrated flawlessly with real-life stuff. It boggles the mind!

26. Re: Avatar Game Sells Well May 20, 2010, 20:41 Kxmode

BobBob wrote on May 20, 2010, 14:34:
kxmode wrote on May 20, 2010, 11:57:
American Indians have family relatives from India. I thought you might want to know that so you'll know the distinction in the future.

The terminology used to refer to Native Americans is controversial: according to a 1995 US Census Bureau set of home interviews, most of the respondents with an expressed preference refer to themselves as American Indians or Indians.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native_Americans_in_the_United_States

It's really Christopher Columbus's fault. The dude got lost on the way to India. He thought he was trading with people in India. What a goofy man.

25. Re: Avatar Game Sells Well May 20, 2010, 20:10 Sepharo

BobBob wrote on May 20, 2010, 14:34:
American Indians have family relatives from India. I thought you might want to know that so you'll know the distinction in the future.

The terminology used to refer to Native Americans is controversial: according to a 1995 US Census Bureau set of home interviews, most of the respondents with an expressed preference refer to themselves as American Indians or Indians.

This.

My apartment complex is about 75% Indian American and I doubt we have any American Indians.

24. Re: Avatar Game Sells Well May 20, 2010, 14:34 BobBob

23. Re: Avatar Game Sells Well May 20, 2010, 14:11 ForgedReality

kxmode wrote on May 20, 2010, 12:49:
And they invented a special 3d camera just for this movie.

22. Re: Avatar Game Sells Well May 20, 2010, 12:49 Kxmode

21. Re: Avatar Game Sells Well May 20, 2010, 11:57 Kxmode

BobBob wrote on May 20, 2010, 01:45:
The blue people were American Indians. Native Americans.

20. Re: Avatar Game Sells Well May 20, 2010, 10:22 Creston

This is what's killing the game industry that we all used to love more than anything. The fact that mediocre shite with a popular name will sell far, far, far more copies than most of the best games ever made.

Why would a dev, or a publisher, ever risk money on a new IP or a groundbreaking game when they know they can just rush some half-assed tie-in out the door and make 100+ million bucks in revenue?

Bah.

Creston

19. Re: Avatar Game Sells Well May 20, 2010, 10:18 BobBob

JoeNapalm wrote on May 20, 2010, 08:53:
...can't fool you, though.

Jealous?

18. Re: Avatar Game Sells Well May 20, 2010, 09:50 nin

nothing ruins the mood faster than some out of place character popping some comic relief.

WE-SA GONNA DIE-SA!!!!! AIIIEEEEEEEEE! <trips, falls>

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

17. Re: Avatar Game Sells Well May 20, 2010, 09:46 |RaptoR|

The only thing that set the movie apart from every other Bruckheimer/Bay CGI explosion fest was that it had no comic relief. When shit is blowing up and people are dying, nothing ruins the mood faster than some out of place character popping some comic relief.

For that alone, it deserves the praise.

16. Re: Avatar Game Sells Well May 20, 2010, 08:53 JoeNapalm

BobBob wrote on May 20, 2010, 01:45:
The blue people were American Indians. *yawn*

Really? Wow. It's all so clear now.

I can't believe how cleverly they concealed that with all the feathers and bows and horses and stuff...

...can't fool you, though.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

15. Re: Avatar Game Sells Well May 20, 2010, 08:38 kimbambaman

For me Avatar was only worth watching for the 3D, I thought it was very nicely done and tastefully implemented. As for the actual movie, ugh. Oh good, CGI smurfs is exactly what I wanted to see. Bleh.  
"Everybody out of the universe!" - Nibbler, Futurama

14. Re: Avatar Game Sells Well May 20, 2010, 08:01 Mr. Tact

Overall, I thought the movie was good. The base storyline was in no way original or particularly interesting. But the actual filming made up for that. However, I never even considered buying the game.

Even with it being the largest grossing film of all time (to date), I find it a bit surprising 2.5 million copies of the game sold. I'm guessing the margin on this game was very good. I'll bet they didn't spend a lot to make it.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

13. Re: Avatar Game Sells Well May 20, 2010, 07:04 Rigs

Ugh...really, you guys need to get out more...

Personally, I've almost never gotten a game or some video game or computer related item from any of my relatives for a birthday or holiday, even though I'm the one they all go to for help when 'that thing keeps popping up and the internets won't load'. My parents always had a thing of not getting me games because: A. They weren't sure what I wanted/had/didn't have/didn't want B. Getting a game somehow condoned sitting in front of the computer all day in my room instead of being out and C. Too much money for something they weren't even sure I could use or want...so usually I got the games on my own. I think the 'grandma factor' is pretty low if you think about it. Now the 'casual gamer' factor is another story altogether. You'd be surprised how many people out there just play the easy, flash/web games or action/adventure games...

=-Rigs-=

'Now, we gave you a promise and we are bound by that promise and damn you for asking for it! And damn me for agreeing to it! And damn all of us to hell, because that is exactly where we're going!'

32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo