Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Consolidation

View
40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

20. Re: Morning Consolidation May 19, 2010, 15:12 Tom

Tumbler wrote on May 19, 2010, 13:12:
# Scanning for minerals has been optimized

Anyone able to clarify what that means? I wouldn't mind playing through the game again on the hardest difficulty if they made that part of the game less time consuming. The planet should literally have bright spots where you should be firing probes. That would make it crazy easy but who fucking cares? Who wants to sit there watching a planet turn?

IMO they should've copied how Star Control 2 did this back in 1992. They were on the right track with the first Mass Effect. They should've built on that instead of replacing it with something so boring and tedious.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: Morning Consolidation May 19, 2010, 15:04 mch

Also agree on the horse riding, but it's not terrible...just a little clunky.

I think I kept the guy alive on the first sheriff mission by shooting him in the leg. Didn't seem very significant but I don't recall the rewards.

PSN: CaseDesignate

18. Re: Morning Consolidation May 19, 2010, 14:46 Verno

Krovven wrote on May 19, 2010, 14:39:
So not sure at what point I get the lasso.

I think it's the 4th mission from Bonnie but it's hard to remember because they're all fairly boring.

I gotta say one thing that Im finding rather clunky and annoying to use is the horse riding speed. Tapping X to raise his speed and then hold it to maintain, and likewise just holding X to maintain speed with a companion. It just seems poorly done. Why not have it the same as running, variable speed on push of the analog stick, with run on holding X and speed burst tapping X. Then of course you are supposed to press O to lock onto objects, at which point you are likely to lose horse speed because you lifted your thumb ever so slightly while moving to press the O as well.

Yeah I have to agree, I wish I could just use RT as forward momentum like GTA4. It's a unified control schema but its a bit clunky. The horse turning takes quite a bit of adjustment too I'm finding. I don't know how anyone can shoot accurately without the auto-aim while riding a horse, I pretty much have to use casual mode aiming while riding

But those flaws aside I'm still loving the shit out of the game. I've come across about 5 random events so far and I've read about at least 20 others on forums. First game to really do proper justice to westerns.

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

17. Re: Morning Consolidation May 19, 2010, 14:39 Krovven

I literally have only done a few missions with Bonnie, and havent been back to her ranch since I had to take her there on the Stage Coach. I then did the first Sheriff mission, killed the guy instead of keeping him alive...anyone know what happens if you don't kill him? Then I headed back to town, did the first part of the Sharpshooter Challenge on the way (shot 5 birds) and saved a treasure hunter from a bandit, and was given his Treasure Map. Got back to town and started a mission to find a woman's boy up in the hills, which just led me to a blood stain, telling me the mission would continue later. Then i called it a night.

So not sure at what point I get the lasso.

I gotta say one thing that Im finding rather clunky and annoying to use is the horse riding speed. Tapping X to raise his speed and then hold it to maintain, and likewise just holding X to maintain speed with a companion. It just seems poorly done. Why not have it the same as running, variable speed on push of the analog stick, with run on holding X and speed burst tapping X. Then of course you are supposed to press O to lock onto objects, at which point you are likely to lose horse speed because you lifted your thumb ever so slightly while moving to press the O as well.

16. Re: Morning Consolidation May 19, 2010, 14:36 Verno

You can't hijack a train unfortunately, one of the first things I tried. You can get into one while in-motion from your horse and hold people inside though. You can also hogtie people and leave them on the train tracks which is what I did to someone who didn't greet me back when I tipped my hat to them  

15. Re: Morning Consolidation May 19, 2010, 14:30 Tumbler

I lasso'd a wild boar a minute ago, it fucking took off like a meteor and dragged me about 3 miles. LOL, this fucking game, so good.

I'm so annoyed that I forgot to go to Toys R Us and buy this yesterday...

I just want to play chicken with a train on my horse. Then a stage coach. Can you hijack and drive a train? Train on Train chicken!? Damn damn damn.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

14. Re: Morning Consolidation May 19, 2010, 14:14 Verno

I lasso'd a wild boar a minute ago, it fucking took off like a meteor and dragged me about 3 miles. LOL, this fucking game, so good.  

13. Re: Morning Consolidation May 19, 2010, 14:05 kimbambaman

Verno wrote on May 19, 2010, 13:37:
Protip for all RDR players btw - don't lasso a train just to see what will happen. Or a bear for that matter

And by "don't", you mean "do".

"Everybody out of the universe!" - Nibbler, Futurama

12. Re: Morning Consolidation May 19, 2010, 14:04 Verno

Yeah for whatever reason they stuck all of the tutorial stuff with Bonnie. I went ahead and started messing around wondering when I got the lasso but finally gave up, did a bunch of her missions and received it. Her missions are the most boring but I guess thats fair because its just showing you how to play the game.

Have you figured out to get drunk yet? When I go to the bar keep in a saloon theres no option to buy booze or anything. I really want to get my guy tanked and have him try to duel people.

11. Re: Morning Consolidation May 19, 2010, 14:04 kimbambaman

Ubisoft: 50% of games 3D by 2012. Rly?

That made me lol Blue. I needed it too, thanks!

"Everybody out of the universe!" - Nibbler, Futurama

10. Re: Morning Consolidation May 19, 2010, 14:03 Krovven

Protip for all RDR players btw - don't lasso a train just to see what will happen. Or a bear for that matter

Now I'm going to have to, once I have a lasso.

I only went through the intro stuff at Bonnie's ranch, went to Armadillo, did the first Sheriff mission, wandered around a bit, etc.

9. Re: Morning Consolidation May 19, 2010, 13:56 mch

Verno wrote on May 19, 2010, 13:52:

There isn't really a big difference man. I bought my copy for the Xbox because XBL is better for organizing online stuff but I've seen my friends PS3 copy and couldn't tell the difference.

Yeah, that's what I figured. Not a big deal. I would have preferred to get it for Xbox for the same reasons you gave...but a few RL friends got it for PS3 so I went that route.

8. Re: Morning Consolidation May 19, 2010, 13:52 Verno

You'd be surprised how many console fanboys are out there so yeah, unfortunately it's still a big issue. One would think everyone would just be happy to have RDR not be an exclusive or something silly but people are retarded.

I was a little disappointed when I heard about the differences in visuals, but it's not terribly unexpected since I believe GTA4 was the same situation. Not that big of a deal when it comes down to it anyway.

There isn't really a big difference man. I bought my copy for the Xbox because XBL is better for organizing online stuff but I've seen my friends PS3 copy and couldn't tell the difference.

7. Re: Morning Consolidation May 19, 2010, 13:52 mch

Verno wrote on May 19, 2010, 13:37:

I now know EXACTLY what I'm doing when I get home from work. Thanks!

I was a little disappointed when I heard about the differences in visuals, but it's not terribly unexpected since I believe GTA4 was the same situation. Not that big of a deal when it comes down to it anyway.

6. Re: Morning Consolidation May 19, 2010, 13:46 SpectralMeat

Is "the game looks better on my system" still something important to people? I really just couldn't care less if the game looks better on one system or another if I enjoy it on the system I am playing it on. If I do not enjoy the game I don't think better anti aliasing, or very slightly better looking graphics will make the game more appealing to me.  

Steam: SpectralMeat

5. Re: Morning Consolidation May 19, 2010, 13:37 Verno

It's not really the developers fault that Sony flipped the bird to middleware houses for so long. The PS3's attach rate is lower than the Xbox 360's which is why many publishers insist on making the 360 the lead SKU. Also keep in mind both systems can use different forms of AA which can lead to people misinterpreting what looks "better".

In the case of RDR though, I've seen both versions and they're fine, I couldn't really tell the difference side by side.

4. Re: Morning Consolidation May 19, 2010, 13:30 Krovven

At this point if the graphics aren't better on the PS3 it's at the fault of the developer, not the system. Several games now have shown what the PS3 is truly capable of, and that it does do AA, etc, etc.

In the case of Red Dead Redemption, it's using an old engine that didn't run that well on the PS3 to begin with. Regardless, RDD still looks and runs fantastic on the PS3 and unless you really over-analyze and do side by side comparisons with stills you aren't going to see a difference.

Played it for an hour or two last night before crawling to bed at 2am and it was great. Can't wait to really get into the meat of the game.

3. Re: Morning Consolidation May 19, 2010, 13:12 Tumbler

Anyone able to clarify what that means? I wouldn't mind playing through the game again on the hardest difficulty if they made that part of the game less time consuming. The planet should literally have bright spots where you should be firing probes. That would make it crazy easy but who fucking cares? Who wants to sit there watching a planet turn?

2. Re: Morning Consolidation May 19, 2010, 13:03 peteham

As it turns out, optimized != removed.

Too bad.

1. Re: Morning Consolidation May 19, 2010, 11:49 Tumbler

Sony bet big with ps3 on better visuals. The comparisons are important because one system is 33% less but it's more likely to havE better visuals. As a ps3 owner as well I do hope that the visuals get better and each game and I look forward to these comparisons.  

40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo