Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ubisoft's Losses

Ubisoft's 2009-10 Financial Results (Adobe Acrobat format) are online for the fiscal year ended March 31, 2010. They are reporting sales for the year of 871 million, a current operating loss of 60 million, a net loss (excluding non-recurring items and before stock-based compensation) of 32 million, and a full net loss of 44 million. Thanks Joao, who points out that amid the losses, Ubisoft is showing greater revenue from the PC market than they have in some time, an interesting development in light of their implementation of their much reviled online DRM scheme. Ubisoft says they expect to return to profitable growth and positive cash flow from operating activities in fiscal 2010-11.

View
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

27. Re: Ubisoft's Losses May 19, 2010, 12:34 ^Drag0n^

Well, you know the old saying, "Treat customers like criminals, and they will leave."

^D^

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Re: Ubisoft's Losses May 19, 2010, 10:04 wtf_man

Elf Shot The Food wrote on May 18, 2010, 14:22:
Removing DRM from their PC games would have added at least another $500 to their bottom line.

And not doing the R&D and implementation, in the first place, probably could have saved them millions.

25. Re: Ubisoft's Losses May 19, 2010, 03:48 Muscular Beaver

That DRM was very successful in making me lose my interest in PC gaming. The last "PC" game I bought was Mass Effect 2.

There are a few games I would like to see and play, but Im not holding my breath for them. Maybe Witcher 2, NS2, the ArmA 2 Expansion, but else I dont really care anymore.
And no, I am not going to switch to restricted and dumbed down consoles.

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

24. Re: Ubisoft's Losses May 19, 2010, 02:56 Jerykk

Perhaps they've lost 5,000 sales due to their DRM, but gained 250,000 due to it not being available to pirate. It's not like people are going to post here "well they got my money for once because I was going to torrent Splinter Cell but couldn't, I had to pay for it."

I doubt this is the case, but I've no doubt it's the case they'd put forward.

It's not much of a case at all, considering that Conviction has been cracked and available on torrents for quite some time, just like AC2, Settlers 7 and Silent Hunter 5.

23. Re: Ubisoft's Losses May 19, 2010, 00:41 Bhruic

Perhaps they've lost 5,000 sales due to their DRM, but gained 250,000 due to it not being available to pirate

Not being available to pirate? Ha!

22. Re: Ubisoft's Losses May 18, 2010, 22:52 Dev

Blah, their PC revenue rose? I can't understand why people would buy the (mostly crappy) ubi games with the crap DRM.

This comment was edited on May 18, 2010, 23:19.

21. Re: Ubisoft's Losses May 18, 2010, 19:44 ColoradoHoudini

On a very popular site (fark.com) in an Ubisoft thread, a number of gamer geeks lambasted the company, a huge number of non-gamer geeks (but some gamers still) read the comments.. saw the issues and then they too didn't buy the games.
This rippled over to Digg and a few other top sites of the same type..

I think Ubi and some people misjudged the value of the spoken word.. remember the old bit about good experiences and bad experiences..and who you tell.

20. Re: Ubisoft's Losses May 18, 2010, 18:27 Prez

Prez can I steal you're avatar I'm to lazy to find my own?

Yes. But color it a different color so as not to confuse people. I think a magenta skull would be lovely.

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

19. Re: Ubisoft's Losses May 18, 2010, 18:05 Overon

We shall see in upcoming quarters how well they have done their DRM research and whether or not will increase sales (we know it may know that their future results may show increased revenue considering that ubisoft thinks that their PC games are worth $60 when they used to cost $40).  

18. Re: Ubisoft's Losses May 18, 2010, 17:23 Kxmode

Techie714 wrote on May 18, 2010, 15:35:
nin wrote on May 18, 2010, 14:15:

http://scottthong.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/iraqiinformationminister.jpg

LOL!!!! OMG that's great!!

BTW: Prez can I steal you're avatar I'm to lazy to find my own?

Well it can't be white on black, so pick this one instead. http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/7648/punisherwhtonblk.gif

17. Re: Ubisoft's Losses May 18, 2010, 17:14 Quboid

Perhaps they've lost 5,000 sales due to their DRM, but gained 250,000 due to it not being available to pirate. It's not like people are going to post here "well they got my money for once because I was going to torrent Splinter Cell but couldn't, I had to pay for it."

I doubt this is the case, but I've no doubt it's the case they'd put forward.

- Quboid

16. Re: Ubisoft's Losses May 18, 2010, 17:05 KilrathiAce

So if their profits rise, will they allow UBI romania to support and patch sh5 until its in "finished" shape?  

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

15. Re: Ubisoft's Losses May 18, 2010, 16:19 Fuzzmatang

When you have the shills you pay to sell your game (i.e. mainstream game "journalists") complaining about your DRM, you know it's fucked.  

14. Re: Ubisoft's Losses May 18, 2010, 15:35 Techie714

nin wrote on May 18, 2010, 14:15:

http://scottthong.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/iraqiinformationminister.jpg

LOL!!!! OMG that's great!!

BTW: Prez can I steal you're avatar I'm to lazy to find my own?

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

13. Re: Ubisoft's Losses May 18, 2010, 15:34 Donkey_Punch

I would love to see EA and UBI both tank.  

12. Re: Ubisoft's Losses May 18, 2010, 15:18 Linksil

Yea you really won't see sales hit until the next wave of games for PC by them. People still bought the games this time not knowing about the DRM. But a lot of them saw the ugly side of it. That plus alittle google will make them look harder at future buys and that will finally hit the sales.  
Munching On: Warframe, Final Fantasy 6, Tales of Xallia, Saints Row 4.

11. Re: Ubisoft's Losses May 18, 2010, 15:07 Prez

I think you'd be surprised at how little the DRM situation really impacts sales... sure, it ticks people like us off, but it hardly puts a dent in sales.

I'm not sure how my statement led you to believe that I think DRM is a factor in the current generation of game sales - I don't believe that at all. I'm just thrilled that the assholes are hemorrhaging money regardless of the how or the why.

As far as consumers being oblivious to DRM, that is inevitably changing given how many people have been screwed over by the idiotic DRM Ubisoft and EA started using this generation.

10. Re: Ubisoft's Losses May 18, 2010, 15:04 ASJD

Actually, PC was down ~10% comparing this fiscal year to last (for Ubisoft). PC sales for Ubi in the latest quarter was way up, but so was Wii. Quarters rely on what games are released (well so do years), but it doesn't show any trends in markets.

Whoops misread something. Forget everything I just said except the thing about the quarters.

Ubi's new DRM has only been out a little while, you won't see any sales impact in last FY's report.

9. Re: Ubisoft's Losses May 18, 2010, 14:55 killer_roach

Prez wrote on May 18, 2010, 14:50:
My only regret is that they didn't lose 10 times as much. 100 times. I hope they go out of business. Their PC profits are up simply because they are charging 10 to 20 bucks more per title than they used to. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out.

I think you'd be surprised at how little the DRM situation really impacts sales... sure, it ticks people like us off, but it hardly puts a dent in sales.

I'd have to say the losses would have to be placed more on their marketing costs and less-than-expected sales of Assassin's Creed II, including many of those sales coming at reduced price points (I got my copy for PS3 on a sale for $20 new, something that's probably not all that great for Ubi's bottom line but fantastic for me as a gamer).

8. Re: Ubisoft's Losses May 18, 2010, 14:50 Prez

My only regret is that they didn't lose 10 times as much. 100 times. I hope they go out of business. Their PC profits are up simply because they are charging 10 to 20 bucks more per title than they used to. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out.  

27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo