Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Only ⅔ of Players Pay to Game

MCV cites a report by tracking firm Newzoo that says a full third of today's computer gamers do not pay anything to play, instead relying on free online games and playable demos for their gaming fix. This is not just restricted to PCs, as word is: "But Newzoo claims that its 30 per cent figure covers the entire gaming market, with punters both playing Flash games online for free as well as restricting their console gaming to free demos that can be downloaded straight to their machines."

View
51 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

31. Re: Only &#8532; of Players Pay to Game May 18, 2010, 17:34 creatorswhim

If you read the report, they don't even mention consoles. They are extrapolating their data from iPod/iPhone apps and flash websites.

That's some seriously weird sampling for the PC game market.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

30. Re: Only &#8532; of Players Pay to Game May 18, 2010, 16:58 Ahumado

Games cost too much.
Movies cost too much
Books cost too much
Software costs too much.
Music costs too much.

That means there are many "artist"
that are paid too much and the cost is passed on to consumers.
Where would all these "artists"
be without Madison Avenue.

Anyone bought anything named Dominator lately? Ha on you

29. Re: Only &#8532; of Players Pay to Game May 18, 2010, 15:48 Beamer

Wait wait wait. Who the fuck figured this out from a study.

IUt is kind of common sense, as I'd venture all four people from my immediate childhood family play games. My mother, father and sister have never paid for one, though. Plenty of Yahoo games or Flash games in there. That's only grown with Facebook games I'm sure.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

28. Re: Only &#8532; of Players Pay to Game May 18, 2010, 15:42 Donkey_Punch

Blue wrote on May 18, 2010, 15:00:
After some consideration, I decided the post you are referencing is a personal attack and deleted it.

Utterly ridiculous. I have seen far worse "personal attacks" on this website and you have not censored them. How many personal attacks have been aimed at Derek Smart alone that have been VERY personal, VERY vulgar, and VERY insulting?

Creston was the one who introduced religion in the conversation where it had no purpose. Religious people are always forcing their beliefs upon us. All I said was that I laugh at people with imaginary friends. I did not insult him personally.

I take it Blue that you are very religious then and that is why you censored?

This comment was edited on May 18, 2010, 16:00.

27. Re: Only &#8532; of Players Pay to Game May 18, 2010, 15:03 ASJD

Wait wait wait. Who the fuck figured this out from a study.

I'd venture that 95% of people who ever play videogames of any kind play Solitare, free online shit, or other similar free things.

It's just logic. Don't need no stinking study to tell me this.

26. Re: Only &#8532; of Players Pay to Game May 18, 2010, 15:00  Blue 

Is there any chance some of you could refrain from God and Jesus bashing?

After some consideration, I decided the post you are referencing is a personal attack and deleted it.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

25. Re: Only &#8532; of Players Pay to Game May 18, 2010, 15:00 Beamer

Dmitri, I applaud the use of a JA2 avatar!

Agreed!

Gonna start a new game soon.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

24. Re: Only &#8532; of Players Pay to Game May 18, 2010, 15:00 Prez

These 2/3 of people are obviously pirates then. They are reaping the rewards of the hard work of developers without paying anything. Bastards!

Excuse me, I have to go play Boggle on my pogo account.

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

23. Re: Only &#8532; of Players Pay to Game May 18, 2010, 14:21 Steele Johnson

And the other 1/3 only pays for good games.  

22. Re: Only &#8532; of Players Pay to Game May 18, 2010, 14:17 Domgrief

Really, I think we should be impressed that the figure is as high as 2/3.

The Web 2.0 mantra of "innovate first, monetise later," has done so well that I no longer pay for services like IMAP email, which used to cost me an arm and a leg a few years ago.

I used to spend thousands of dollars a year on games, but with the current free-to-play casual games, occasional high-quality gems (GemCraft, Wolf:ET), necromancy of old classics (MW4 Mercs), and access to classics on the cheap (GOG), I'd be lucky to spend $300 a year on AAA titles.

Of course, if the multi-million dollar gaming industry is going to stand by while garage flash developers beat them in the fun/gameplay department, that's their own fault.

21. Re: Only &#8532; of Players Pay to Game May 18, 2010, 13:59 JoeNapalm

Totally off topic - Dmitri, I applaud the use of a JA2 avatar!

Bravo!

-Jn-
City of Brass Expatriate

20. Re: Only &#8532; of Players Pay to Game May 18, 2010, 13:59 Kxmode

Is there any chance some of you could refrain from God and Jesus bashing? I mean I know it's the popular thing to do these days but some people still believe and go to church. They also play video games and visit Blue's News.

I would never bash someone's beliefs.

19. Re: Only &#8532; of Players Pay to Game May 18, 2010, 13:46 Joss

BobBob wrote on May 18, 2010, 13:11:
So my wife put me on a monthly budget on how much I can spend on games.

Ummm. I just don't know how to react to that. My condolences.

18. Re: Only &#8532; of Players Pay to Game May 18, 2010, 13:11 BobBob

Dmitri_M wrote on May 18, 2010, 12:34:
I buy way more games than I ever finish, or even get around to playing for longer than 30 minutes. Although I keep getting lumped in with pirates since i'm a, ahem, "pc gamer".

Same here. So my wife put me on a monthly budget on how much I can spend on games. Of course, I can save up that money and buy a really good game over the months, which is what I prefer.

17. Re: Only &#8532; of Players Pay to Game May 18, 2010, 12:57 Tumbler

I buy way more games than I ever finish, or even get around to playing for longer than 30 minutes.

This is a big reason why I feel most games are overpriced. When you plunk down $60 on a game I feel compelled to play through the game even if I don't like it. When I'm trying games free, like those flash games posted on blues each day, there are some that I play for 20 min, and others that I quit after 20 seconds. I don't ever feel ripped off doing that but when I buy a $60 game and I don't wnat to play it after the first 20 min it really bugs me.

This is why I loved gamefly and why I love goozex even more. There is no risk of feeling ripped off. If you don't like the game you just trade it and move on. With Gamefly you always paid that $24 and on certain months it still felt like a ripoff. But with goozex I literally pay $1 and if I like the game I can keep it. You end up pouring a lot of "money" into the system (and you're going to do this regardless of where you get your games) which earns you points but it's a great feeling to know that you can get your points back almost anytime you want.

I wish PC gaming in general was more like this. You should be able to try a game and after a few hours be given the choice of paying for it and keeping it or to stop playing it and move on. None of this demo BS, just give the full game, lemme play it for an hour, a day, whatever. I'll gladly pay $1, or even $5, just so I can play your stupid game risk free. It costs me at least that much if I want to buy a new game at retail and then resell because I don't like it.

Alas PC gaming seems to be going to opposite way. You can't try it at all without paying in full and then you can't resell it cause we will disable the software. GREAT IDEA!!!!

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

16. Re: Only &#8532; of Players Pay to Game May 18, 2010, 12:34 Dmitri_M

I buy way more games than I ever finish, or even get around to playing for longer than 30 minutes. Although I keep getting lumped in with pirates since i'm a, ahem, "pc gamer".  

15. Re: Only &#8532; of Players Pay to Game May 18, 2010, 12:28 Tumbler

Watch some publisher take this figure and immediately scream himself hoarse that fully a third of today's gamers pirates their shit.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

Free games on the PC seem to have tons of potential and seeing how insanely popular some are becoming connected to something like facebook I hope we'll see more. I'm excited to see how Civ turns out on facebook. If that takes off it will hopefully push other studio's to try this avenue. Not sure how DICE screwed up the idea of BF Heroes. Why not just take BF9142, make it free, put it online, and let people play... What is so fucking hard there? You're trying to reinvent the wheel!

This comment was edited on May 18, 2010, 12:38.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

14. Re: Only &#8532; of Players Pay to Game May 18, 2010, 11:46 ASeven

Next: Patcher comments on how free games will bring the industry down.  

13. Re: Only &#8532; of Players Pay to Game May 18, 2010, 11:41 JoeNapalm

Shocking. People who wouldn't pay to play a game will sometimes play a free game if it is available...

...I wonder how much they spent to figure that out.

Probably brought to you by the same twits who think that there's a 1-to-1 ratio between pirated content and lost sales.

In unrelated news, a study conducted by me indicates that PEOPLE LIKE FREE !@#$. Marketing people know this...why the @#$% do you think CC companies hand out free frisbies and other crap at college campuses?

Maybe I can get funding for that study? How many people pay for bloody frisbies...

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

12. Re: Only &#8532; of Players Pay to Game May 18, 2010, 11:29 Reactor

One of the teens at my church does this, basically.

You don't strike me as a church guy, Creston.

51 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo