Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Epic on Piracy and PCs

TheSixthAxis has some quotes from Epic president Mike Capps published in Edge Magazine E215, now on newsstands. Capps admits "the money's on console," in discussing their platform choices, saying "piracy's already had its impact" on PC sales. ďIf you walked into [Epic's Offices] six years ago, Epic was a PC company. We did one PS2 launch title, and everything else was PC. And now, people are saying 'Why do you hate the PC? Youíre a console-only company'," he tells them. "We still do PC, we still love the PC, but we already saw the impact of piracy: it killed a lot of great independent developers and completely changed our business model." That love aside, Capps seems to be ceding the PC market to social games: "So, maybe Facebook will save PC gaming," adding, "but itís not going to look like Gears of War." Thanks Joao.

View
154 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

74. Re: Epic on Piracy and PCs May 17, 2010, 16:55 Tony!!!

theyarecomingforyou wrote on May 17, 2010, 14:23:
Surely the fact that Epic kept rehashing the same thing with every title had a greater impact? I mean, after Unreal Tournament (which was itself derived from Unreal) you had... UT2003, UT2004, UT3, etc. Where was the variety? All they were trying to do was to relive past glories instead of innovate. And now they're doing the same thing with Gears Of War. You only have to look at Valve or Blizzard to see how a little innovation can make you a top seller on the PC.

The only thing that's disappointing is that the Unreal Engine isn't pushing the technology boundaries of the PC. I mean, UE3 even made anti-aliasing more difficult to implement. We need DX11 engines with serious advancements, not the blandness that we currently have. But then it's much cheaper to keep rehashing the same shit (game ideas or engines) than to do something new and challenging.

Console gaming can keep Epic.

Well, by your example Blizzard ISN'T inovative.
Warcraft. Warcraft2. Warcraft3. World of Warcraft. Sounds like the same rehasing that your accusing Epic of. At least Epic moved from UT to Gears of War 3 which is about to wrap up the story line of the trilogy.

-Tony!!!;)
my 360 user name is Robo Pop
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

73. Re: Epic on Piracy and PCs May 17, 2010, 16:42 ^Drag0n^

Muscular Beaver wrote on May 17, 2010, 16:21:
More like "You made us great, but now its time for us to buy the new Ferrari models and the idiot console folk buys our shitty crap, no matter what! Theres too much money to be made. Thanks for helping us get where we are, but we found another, much better and more manipulable cash cow. Cya tards! Oh and btw, you suck!"
Please point out the exact section in the article where Mike said that.

Really. This is rediculous.

I'll just finish by saying "what MattyC said," (scary cat avatar and all ).

^D^

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."

72. Re: Epic on Piracy and PCs May 17, 2010, 16:41 ASeven

Verno wrote on May 17, 2010, 16:11:
While you're correct about the 360 Surf, the PS3 has had literally no piracy in it's existence so far and potentially for the foreseeable future. The best anyone has done is a proof of concept hypervisor exploit which hasn't lead to bootable code yet and might not ever. What you're seeing on those sites is just raw disc images ripped.

To be honest, one of the main reasons the PS3 hasn't been hacked yet is because only now the PS3 sales are picking up compared to the Xbox. It's why the Wii and Xbox were pirated so early, they were the most common consoles found in the living room, the demand for pirated goods was far greater than in the PS3. With the PS3 picking up steam in sales you can bet it's a matter of time until it's fully hacked.

71. Re: Epic on Piracy and PCs May 17, 2010, 16:39 ^mortis^

Just like someone said elsewhere regarding the iPad: they are for content-consumers, not creators. Lets see you "Make Something Unreal" on your PS3 or 360; I thought not.

As long as there are still a smaller number of decent PC developers making excellent games, i could give less than a damn if there's another Unreal Tournament or GoW for the PC. Leave that for the console where it all rightly belongs. Yeah, their engine is great, and the MODS and home developers were what pretty much catapulted it to the top.

^m^

70. Re: Epic on Piracy and PCs May 17, 2010, 16:24 PHJF

Nothing gets more posts than game piracy and console vs PC sales on Bluesnews.

There aren't any good PC games to talk about.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

69. Re: Epic on Piracy and PCs May 17, 2010, 16:21 Muscular Beaver

More like "You made us great, but now its time for us to buy the new Ferrari models and the idiot console folk buys our shitty crap, no matter what! Theres too much money to be made. Thanks for helping us get where we are, but we found another, much better and more manipulable cash cow. Cya tards! Oh and btw, you suck!"  

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

68. Re: Epic on Piracy and PCs May 17, 2010, 16:21 MattyC

I find it funny that people blast Epic so often. They support their games well after release, even semi-flops like Unreal 3. They provide solid editor tools. They support the mod community (Make something Unreal etc). They provide free added content (UT bonus packs). And generally stay away from super restrictive DRM (GoW being the exception). Basically they do all the things that PC players say they want. Then they NERD RAGE because Epic has moved to the console. They are a company and they want to make money.

I mean, If you don't like their games that is fine. I didn't think the newest UT was all that great (though I thought it was fairly fun other than the server browser... though that was STILL better than Bad Company 2's craptastic browser). However, I respect how they do things and I like that their engines give me things like Mass Effect. At any rate I think rating over them is stupid. They are far from perfect and really they have been getting worse and worse, but they are still not on the rage-worthy list imo.

67. Re: Epic on Piracy and PCs May 17, 2010, 16:19 Verno

What about Derek Smart threads?  

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal

66. Re: Epic on Piracy and PCs May 17, 2010, 16:14 Overon

Nothing gets more posts than game piracy and console vs PC sales on Bluesnews.  

65. Re: Epic on Piracy and PCs May 17, 2010, 16:12 ^Drag0n^

Darks wrote on May 17, 2010, 15:55:
Epic is nothing more than a Epic fail of a game developer.

Epic Fail? Aside from being catchy toungue-in-cheek humor, nothing could be further from the truth. Their engine is so littered accross the industry, that you can't knock 5 games off the shelf without including at least one that uses one incarnation of the UnRealEngine or another.

Certainly, Mike has a vested interest in slanting the story a particular way (something you always have to do when talking to the public, regardless of the industry), but calling their studio a failure is pure trollup.

^D^

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."

64. Re: Epic on Piracy and PCs May 17, 2010, 16:11 Verno

While you're correct about the 360 Surf, the PS3 has had literally no piracy in it's existence so far and potentially for the foreseeable future. The best anyone has done is a proof of concept hypervisor exploit which hasn't lead to bootable code yet and might not ever. What you're seeing on those sites is just raw disc images ripped.

You don't "modchip" a 360 either by the way. You flash it's dvd drive firmware or you use a JTAG if your console hasn't been updated past August 2009. The only "modchips" are used for having dual-banked firmware for online play. It's not a simple process for end users which is why Xbox piracy is dwarfed by PC piracy. Regardless, just because PC piracy is easy or more numerous than consoles doesn't mean that there isn't money to be made on the PC platform.

63. Re: Epic on Piracy and PCs May 17, 2010, 16:05 Surf

While piracy is a concern and a point, it is not all encompassing as these game publishers want us to believe. Otherwise we would see more risk taking, ground breaking games on the Consoles but alas the game rarely reflect this. You won't see Plants vs. Zombies, Sins of a Solar Empire, Empire Total War, Stalker on the Consoles.

Instead we get simplistic, arrow pointing, easy to get in and out games that practically play themselves.

To me gaming is in trouble. I want deep, tough games that require me to use my brain, not something that is going to have a green arrow that says "GO HERE NEXT!" or allow my character to fight 500 enemies at once with a 1% chance of "dying". Actually there is no dying in a console, you simply just warp back, no pain all gain.

Oh well, blame piracy. The same fucking places I bit torrent PC games has the same XBOX, PS3 games right there, usually weeks before the PC game is launched.

Simple Xbox for $200, mod chip for $75, all the games free. Oh no online? Big deal, I can buy another xbox and an online game but do I really want to play with 13 year old Jimmy? I have enough problems with adults on PC games.

62. Re: Epic on Piracy and PCs May 17, 2010, 16:04 ASeven

Kristian Joensen wrote on May 17, 2010, 16:03:
I want great(and non-cartoony) looking, fun AAA FPS games with all the usual PC specific features, MOD support and no draconian DRM(Such as install limits or constant online DRM). Anyone have any suggestions or is the PC virtually dead with regards to such games?

Primal Carnage
Interstellar Marines
Natural Selection 2

61. Re: Epic on Piracy and PCs May 17, 2010, 16:03 Kristian Joensen

I want great(and non-cartoony) looking, fun AAA FPS games with all the usual PC specific features, MOD support and no draconian DRM(Such as install limits or constant online DRM). Anyone have any suggestions or is the PC virtually dead with regards to such games?  

60. Re: Epic on Piracy and PCs May 17, 2010, 16:00 Verno

Silicon Avatar wrote on May 17, 2010, 15:51:
Whatever. When he comes up with a game that PC gamers buy in droves he'll be saying that PC gaming is the future. These people are all the same. They bend whatever way they think the wind is blowing.

Agreed, people generally go where the big bucks are and I suspect most developers and publishers are pretty much interchangeable in that respect.

59. Re: Epic on Piracy and PCs May 17, 2010, 15:55 Darks

Epic is nothing more than a Epic fail of a game developer. They donít know their asses from a hole in the ground when it comes to discussing the impact of piracy. These guys are a fricking joke, they think that by counting all the torrent downloads that equates to a lost sale of a game. Please you dumb ass idiots. Wake the hell up. Most of those torrents would not have equated to a sale, in fact itís been shown that the only about 10 percent of those downloaded would be a lost sale. Most people download a torrent of the game and treat it as a demo to see if the games worth spending their money on. Thatís why there are so many torrent downloads. Do you homework Epic!! Stop Assuming!!

Epic Idiots, thatís what they need to rename their company too. Iím so glad I havenít bought GOW. I will continue to boycott these idiots until they wise up or start producing games for the pc.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

58. Re: Epic on Piracy and PCs May 17, 2010, 15:51 Silicon Avatar

Whatever. When he comes up with a game that PC gamers buy in droves he'll be saying that PC gaming is the future. These people are all the same. They bend whatever way they think the wind is blowing.  

57. Re: Epic on Piracy and PCs May 17, 2010, 15:50 DangerDog

Unreal Tournament III was a huge hit on the consoles?

do tell.

If a game doesn't sell well then it must be due to those pesky pirates, and not that your game design sucks.

56. Re: Epic on Piracy and PCs May 17, 2010, 15:49 Verno

ForgedReality wrote on May 17, 2010, 15:42:
ATTN EPIC:

YOU ARE NOT RELEVANT. NOBODY BUT IDIOTS ON CONSOLES PLAY YOUR SHITTY GAMES. GET THE HELL OFF MY LAWN.

Thank you.

Speak for yourself kid, some of us fondly remember and would welcome back the days of Unreal and Unreal Tournament. You sound more like the console kiddies that people around here hate, capslock key and all. I don't have to love Gears of War to realize that Epic is a great studio who can make fantastic games that I'd love to see on the PC. Give me Shadow Complex PC any day for that matter.

They certainly are. "AAA" publishing houses are churning out cookie-cutter, recycled shovelware while indies are actually making actual PC games.

That's not really fair, some big publishing houses have made some of the best PC games I've played.

55. Re: Epic on Piracy and PCs May 17, 2010, 15:47 Prez

It's hard to directly compare indies with AAA publishing houses, they are totally different beasts in every way.

They certainly are. "AAA" publishing houses are churning out cookie-cutter, recycled shovelware while indies are actually making actual PC games.

It's not that you can't make money on the PC, it's that you can make more money on consoles. Last I checked, Bioware, Epic, id, Bethesda, Infinity Ward, etc, weren't on the verge of bankruptcy when they transitioned to consoles.

Exactly. Of course it would sound less noble if idiot-boy Cliffy-B said "Well, if we only made PC games, we could only be driving Lexus's. With consoles we can drive Lamborghinis!"

This comment was edited on May 17, 2010, 15:52.

ďThe greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.Ē
- Mahatma Gandhi

154 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo