Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

CoD: Black Ops to Feature Dedicated Servers

Computer and Video Games reports Treyarch has stated Call of Duty: Black Ops will feature dedicated servers for multiplayer play, confirming a report that surfaced before the recent announcement of the seventh installment in the military shooter series. Dedicated server support was absent from Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, in spite of petitions and other protests from unhappy PC gamers, and while Infinity Ward was insistent that this was a necessity, Treyarch studio head Mark Lamia doesn't agree. "I think dedicated servers are excellent. I don't see any reason not to see them unless... well, I just don't see any reason not to," Lamia recently told PC Format magazine. "It seems people like them and we're excited about what we're doing right now." He explains they are working to offer the best of both worlds. "We do work very hard to reconcile the desire to manipulate and modify those dedicated servers with offering them the persistent experience and benefits that the console system provides," he said. "We're working very hard to marry those two things, so people can run dedicated servers and also participate in the communal experience the console players get to have, given they're all on first-party servers." Issue 221 of PC Zone featuring an eight-page Call of Duty: Black Ops preview is now in the hands of subscribers, and will hit UK newsstands soon.

View
37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

37. Re: CoD: Black Ops to Feature Dedicated Servers May 15, 2010, 11:26 wrlwnd

I didn't buy MAW2 because of the lack of dedicated servers. Nor will I ever buy it, the fanboy buttkissers on here not withstanding.

I will probably buy the Treyarch version because of their support for dedicated servers.

Pretty simple.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

36. Re: CoD: Black Ops to Feature Dedicated Servers May 15, 2010, 03:29 LittleMe

Verno wrote on May 14, 2010, 14:45:
Clearly this is the work of the government oppressing our rights.

Very clever. I see what you did there.

Perpetual debt is slavery.

35. You are dead wrong. May 15, 2010, 00:33 I've Got The News Blues

Reikon wrote on May 14, 2010, 18:36:
They take down the master server and you can't play it anymore.
That is not true. First, if the publisher uses a third-party master server like Gamespy, they can't necessarily take down the game. That's why all of EA's old games like Needs for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2 which use Gamespy as the master server are still up and running whereas newer Need for Speed games for which EA hosted the master and terminated support can no longer be played online (at least not officially). Second, the user community of most games is very good about being able to develop and host its own master server for a game especially if modding code and tools were released for it. All of the Sierra games like Tribes 1 & 2, Starsiege, and AvP2 all now use community-based master servers since Vivendi/Activision terminated the official master server for these games.

So, in summary, you are dead wrong. This IS very different than before.

This comment was edited on May 15, 2010, 05:10.

34. Re: CoD: Black Ops to Feature Dedicated Servers May 14, 2010, 21:01 4D-Boxing

I really dont get it. People trying to say it takes a long time to connect or find good BFBC2 servers?!

Are they on dial up? 56k lovin lol.

Come on! No need to make up stuff.

I connect just easily and as fast as in any other game using dedicated servers.

I'm an old twitch gamer, ut,quake etc.. So i enjoyed Cod4.
lets be honest MW2 PC played like cr@p online. Does mean everybody has to love BFBC2.

33. Re: CoD: Black Ops to Feature Dedicated Servers May 14, 2010, 18:36 Reikon

Tumbler wrote on May 14, 2010, 17:44:
This new trend of offering dedicated servers but only those run by the publisher/developers isn't a whole lot better than straight p2p gameplay.

While they don't release the server files to the public, the servers are still run by players, at least in BFBC2, which is the only currently released example I can think of.

Bigger game sizes for sure but they can pull these servers down anytime they want and ensure that the only way to play the game online is how they say it should be played.

And it's been like that for pretty much every game. They take down the master server and you can't play it anymore. That's one aspect that's no different than before.

It is disappointing to see modding support being pulled from so many games, but the changes aren't as drastic as you make them out to be.

32. Re: CoD: Black Ops to Feature Dedicated Servers May 14, 2010, 17:47 BobBob

This new trend of offering dedicated servers but only those run by the publisher/developers isn't a whole lot better than straight p2p gameplay. Assuming your game has enough data going back and forth the p2p method, while cheaper, is going to make your game look like shit. Dedicated servers used like this offer almost no other benefit to the consumer other than faster response times. No mods, no control, just the same features you'd find on p2p matches. Bigger game sizes for sure but they can pull these servers down anytime they want and ensure that the only way to play the game online is how they say it should be played.

It shouldn't be difficult to understand why pc gamers are not thrilled about getting their dedicated servers back in this case when they've basically stripped it down to be barely more than a p2p system with better ping times.

It's a ferrari!
...really? It looks exactly like a honda civic....
No, see, that is the ferrari logo! It's a high end sports car!

Very well said. We need public dedicated servers with full modding capability like we are used to having.

31. Re: CoD: Black Ops to Feature Dedicated Servers May 14, 2010, 17:45 BobBob

Dr. D. Schreber wrote on May 14, 2010, 14:03:
I also...

Wait for it...

Wait for it...

Wait for it...

...drumroll please...

...have fun playing it. Clearly, this puts me on par with escaped Nazi war criminals and the gay Teletubby.

Congtatulations, you have just learned that you can stand on a box and shout "THIS GAME IS CRAP! ANYONE WHO PLAYS IT IS CRAP! I AM A SUPERIOR PERSON BECAUSE I VOTED WITH MY DOLLAR BY NOT BUYING IT!" as much as you want, and it doesn't matter in the slightest. Of course, the sales statistics for this should've proven that already, to everyone, it's just that denial ego-centrism is more fun.

Quoted for troll.

30. Re: CoD: Black Ops to Feature Dedicated Servers May 14, 2010, 17:44 Tumbler

This new trend of offering dedicated servers but only those run by the publisher/developers isn't a whole lot better than straight p2p gameplay. Assuming your game has enough data going back and forth the p2p method, while cheaper, is going to make your game look like shit. Dedicated servers used like this offer almost no other benefit to the consumer other than faster response times. No mods, no control, just the same features you'd find on p2p matches. Bigger game sizes for sure but they can pull these servers down anytime they want and ensure that the only way to play the game online is how they say it should be played.

It shouldn't be difficult to understand why pc gamers are not thrilled about getting their dedicated servers back in this case when they've basically stripped it down to be barely more than a p2p system with better ping times.

It's a ferrari!
...really? It looks exactly like a honda civic....
No, see, that is the ferrari logo! It's a high end sports car!

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

29. You can have both types of servers. May 14, 2010, 16:24 I've Got The News Blues

Verno wrote on May 14, 2010, 15:18:
On the other hand, it's difficult to preserve the unlock system without "first party" dedicated servers.
BF2 does it sufficiently with ranked and unranked servers. Valve manages to do it with TF2. For those that want the purest game experience developer or publisher controlled servers should be an option, but not the only option for dedicated servers. Having one type doesn't have to eliminate the other.

28. Re: CoD: Black Ops to Feature Dedicated Servers May 14, 2010, 15:18 Verno

On the other hand, it's difficult to preserve the unlock system without "first party" dedicated servers. A lot of people don't care about it but probably an equal or greater number care about it a great deal unfortunately. I see both sides of this, it's an unfortunate situation. I hope that Treyarch learns from Infinity Ward's mistakes with MW2's PC SKU.  

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown

27. Re: CoD: Black Ops to Feature Dedicated Servers May 14, 2010, 15:02 I've Got The News Blues

Wallshadows wrote on May 14, 2010, 13:49:
Treyarch comes along to say they are allowing dedicated servers and the response seems mixed.
That's because the response is nebulous. Treyarch hasn't said that the dedicated server software will be released to the public. Going the BFBC2 route and restricting access to the software is not what everyone wants.

26. Re: CoD: Black Ops to Feature Dedicated Servers May 14, 2010, 14:59 Domgrief

"Communal experience" is a bit of a whitewash when you're talking about upwards of 1,000,000 people.

I would argue that my favourite dedicated server is closer to offering a communal experience than peer-to-peer matchmaking.

Also, "working very hard to marry these two things"? The original Modern Warfare included persistent unlocks across dedicated servers.

25. Re: CoD: Black Ops to Feature Dedicated Servers May 14, 2010, 14:45 Verno

LittleMe wrote on May 14, 2010, 14:09:
So after all the complaining and efforts made to bring dedicated servers to MW 2 which ultimately failed and caused a huge issue across the universe, Treyarch comes along to say they are allowing dedicated servers and the response seems mixed.

It was a standard feature before the recent plague of consolitis FPS games like FEAR2, MW2 and Operation Flashpoint:DR. So it's very welcome but I don't think people are calling home to mom and buying new pets yet. The game isn't out yet. We PC gamers want to see it and play it and then maybe we'll get excited if it's all we want.

Clearly this is the work of the government oppressing our rights.

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown

24. Re: CoD: Black Ops to Feature Dedicated Servers May 14, 2010, 14:12 Sepharo

Wallshadows wrote:

Maybe it's just cool to be a part of the hate brigade though.

PC users were up in arms because they thought the industry would shift and dedicated servers would become an optional feature rather than a integrated design. There was very little complaining when you could rent servers and now that it's coming back in CoD:BO, you act as if they just smashed your piggy bank to feed their greed.

What the fuck are you talking about?

23. Re: CoD: Black Ops to Feature Dedicated Servers May 14, 2010, 14:09 LittleMe

So after all the complaining and efforts made to bring dedicated servers to MW 2 which ultimately failed and caused a huge issue across the universe, Treyarch comes along to say they are allowing dedicated servers and the response seems mixed.

It was a standard feature before the recent plague of consolitis FPS games like FEAR2, MW2 and Operation Flashpoint:DR. So it's very welcome but I don't think people are calling home to mom and buying new pets yet. The game isn't out yet. We PC gamers want to see it and play it and then maybe we'll get excited if it's all we want.

Perpetual debt is slavery.

22. Re: CoD: Black Ops to Feature Dedicated Servers May 14, 2010, 14:04 EvilGrouse

It would also be nice if I could PICK THE FRIGGIN SERVER I WANNA PLAY ON!! Instead of automatically putting me where it wants to. Give me back my list of servers so that I CAN CHOOSE where I want to go, and not IWNET.
Oh, and get rid of flying debris. Damn that's distracting.

21. Re: CoD: Black Ops to Feature Dedicated Servers May 14, 2010, 14:03 Dr. D. Schreber

I also...

Wait for it...

Wait for it...

Wait for it...

...drumroll please...

...have fun playing it. Clearly, this puts me on par with escaped Nazi war criminals and the gay Teletubby.

Congtatulations, you have just learned that you can stand on a box and shout "THIS GAME IS CRAP! ANYONE WHO PLAYS IT IS CRAP! I AM A SUPERIOR PERSON BECAUSE I VOTED WITH MY DOLLAR BY NOT BUYING IT!" as much as you want, and it doesn't matter in the slightest. Of course, the sales statistics for this should've proven that already, to everyone, it's just that denial ego-centrism is more fun.

NOT THE BEES! NOT THE BEES THEY'RE IN MY EYES AARRGRHGHGGAFHGHFGHFG!

20. Re: CoD: Black Ops to Feature Dedicated Servers May 14, 2010, 13:59 futuricus

BobBob wrote on May 14, 2010, 13:56:
What is the 14k part?

That's the amount of players in the gametype about to be selected, whereas the the number that says total is the total.

19. Re: CoD: Black Ops to Feature Dedicated Servers May 14, 2010, 13:56 BobBob

Dr. D. Schreber wrote on May 14, 2010, 13:28:
Not hard to prove, since I actually own the game being discussed.

You actually bought the game?

18. Re: CoD: Black Ops to Feature Dedicated Servers May 14, 2010, 13:49 Wallshadows

Maybe it's just cool to be a part of the hate brigade though.

PC users were up in arms because they thought the industry would shift and dedicated servers would become an optional feature rather than a integrated design. There was very little complaining when you could rent servers and now that it's coming back in CoD:BO, you act as if they just smashed your piggy bank to feed their greed.

I guess if it was another company it would be getting praised for smartening up, but since it's a Treyarch game and Activision has a hand in it, it's not acceptable.

They're damned regardless of what they do at this point but I have a hard time believing the fault lands entirely on them when there are so many jaded gamers out there who can't see the forest through the trees.

37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo