Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

New Mass Effect 2 DLC Next Month

GamerZines has word on plans for new DLC for Mass Effect 2 called Overlord, saying this will offer "five levels set across one story on one planet" when it is released next month for BioWare's RPG sequel (thanks Computer and Video Games). They have some screenshots from the DLC, and word that it will not include any new party members. IncGamers has some follow-up on this, saying it will be priced at 560 Microsoft Points.

View
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

15. Re: New Mass Effect 2 DLC Next Month May 13, 2010, 23:15 Jerykk

I think an open-ended, open-world RPG in the ME universe where you could play as any of the main races would be awesome. And no morality system plz.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: New Mass Effect 2 DLC Next Month May 13, 2010, 20:37 Rigs

I think ME2 has the better story, but it was too dumbed down so the stupid console players wouldn't cry.

Hmm, double standard? Gaming devs dumb down console games to make them easy to understand but then release really obscure JRPGS that can't be thoroughly understood without a developer made flowchart, all the while saying that they can't really be released on PC because the market wouldn't support them due to their complexity...

Yup, the room just spun with that one... Dizzy

=-Rigs-=

'Now, we gave you a promise and we are bound by that promise and damn you for asking for it! And damn me for agreeing to it! And damn all of us to hell, because that is exactly where we're going!'

13. Re: New Mass Effect 2 DLC Next Month May 13, 2010, 18:03 ForgedReality

NicklePop wrote on May 13, 2010, 14:11:
ME2 flat out blows compared to ME1. So linear, so much more confined.

Oblivion used to be my example of "dumbed down", now ME2 is.

Blah, I loved ME1.

They've both got pretty much the same linearity factor, I think the first one just did a better job at disguising its linearity. The first one had a lot of options as far as upgrades and weapons go, but I think they kind of overdid it. It's kind of like Dragon Age, where you can swap out one thing for a slightly upgraded attachment, or sidegrade, but in the end, none of it really made any difference. So, in the end, you have all these useless options that only serve to complicate the game and add confusion.

I do agree that they basically made it too simplistic with ME2 though. I found myself longing for some of the features that ME1 had, but, really, they're not all that different in the end. I think ME2 has the better story, but it was too dumbed down so the stupid console players wouldn't cry.

12. Re: New Mass Effect 2 DLC Next Month May 13, 2010, 18:01 Cutter

Bioware's been leaving a rather meh taste in my mouth for sometime now. If SWTOR doesn't rock, I think I'll call it a day with them.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

11. Re: New Mass Effect 2 DLC Next Month May 13, 2010, 16:20 Silicon Avatar

I think I'll just wait for the inevitable "game of the year" version that includes everything for a decent price.

I find myself doing that more and more now that DLCs have become the norm.

10. Re: New Mass Effect 2 DLC Next Month May 13, 2010, 14:11 NicklePop

ME2 flat out blows compared to ME1. So linear, so much more confined.

Oblivion used to be my example of "dumbed down", now ME2 is.

Blah, I loved ME1.

9. Re: New Mass Effect 2 DLC Next Month May 13, 2010, 13:37 Rigs

I was hoping for a lot more.

Maybe a boob job and tummy-tuck then?

I traded the game and seeing what has happened with the DLC since I'm happy I made that choice. All these little packs for a few bucks are insulting considering they have this special network designed to deliver free content. Turned out to be a gimic to entice people to buy the game at launch rather than a system to make buying games new more rewarding.

I agree. I think the original idea was so that ME2 didn't leave the thoughts of the people that played it, and thus they would still talk about it to others who didn't already have it. But a little here and there is just not enough. And with the 'special network', I have to wonder how they really envisioned it to be. If you have pay-for DLC, then how does the free stuff come into the picture? Obviously, the paid-for stuff is going to get priority and it just seems like it wasn't thought out...or it was a gimmick, as you said...A shame really, for such a good game and series. Maybe ME3 will redeem it, (since the 2nd of a trilogy is usually the weakest), but I don't really have high hopes. They need the 'magic' they had in the first one. Granted, the first one always holds special meaning because it's the first time to experience everything, which is why the 2nd and 3rd shouldn't rely on it to boost their reputation, story and playability... *shrugs*

=-Rigs-=

'Now, we gave you a promise and we are bound by that promise and damn you for asking for it! And damn me for agreeing to it! And damn all of us to hell, because that is exactly where we're going!'

8. Re: New Mass Effect 2 DLC Next Month May 13, 2010, 12:56 Ray Marden

Meh.

Between the horrendous planet scanning (just drop it entirely at this point,) lackluster story (90% of the "game" is just acquiring party members for that remaining 10% of story,) and the complete joke that was the $7 Kasumi pack (with a separate blurt about how much thought they put into it,) I'm definitely over ME2 at this point.

Give me more areas. Give me more levels. Drop the pointless scanning. Drop the pointless quests for a pittance of money to spend on a lackluster upgrade at a random merchant on a planet. Don't hype your "plus" save system and then simultaneously toss out everything my character was (this is referencing the total disconnect from my female character's homosexual love interest.) Make the ship seem more alive, not just a cookie cutter area for the next DLC character. Don't charge $7 for a 35 minute DLC which is only about 25 minutes long when you cut out the planet scanning. Make upgrades worthwhile. Make the combat dynamic. Let me control the look of the gear. Teach my characters the zen art of helmet removal. Don't gut the Citadel. Make my teammates useful. Don't use a weapon to sell me on the game. Give me some serious gray decisions. Let me have a real impact on the world. Make the threat real and significant. Make Cereberus useful.

I could go on and on, but there are a lot of faults with this game that BioWare seems content to ignore. I can forgive some of this stuff if this was a new game, but this is the second game that is supposed to run with what we started in the first game. But in a lot of ways, it feels like I'm playing the same game, albeit with heavy DLC focus and a really confined world.

Am I two-thirds of the way through my epic saga? Not at all.
Really, this game is just DA in space and with less gameplay.
Enjoying the game, but not thinking it's the BETSTS GAHME EVAR!!!!111,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

7. Re: New Mass Effect 2 DLC Next Month May 13, 2010, 12:51 Jonny

Elessar wrote on May 13, 2010, 10:22:
I enjoyed, but stopped playing the main game months ago. Collect all of this DLC, release a substantial expansion and then I'll be interested. This nickle and dime stuff is more annoying than it is enticing.

I'd question it's efficiency as well. Releasing small drips of content every few months, when all but the biggest fans will have finished with the game and won't be enticed back by a half hour DLC, is surely less effective at selling your content and making money than rolling it all up into a 15 expansion which will entice people back to playing the game.

6. Re: New Mass Effect 2 DLC Next Month May 13, 2010, 12:37 Quicksilver

I look forward to buying 800 microsoft points so that I can spend 560 of them and have 240 points I'll never use.  

5. Re: New Mass Effect 2 DLC Next Month May 13, 2010, 12:35 Tumbler

This game died for me about a week or so after I started playing it. (Around the time I finished it) I tryed playing it through a 2nd time but the gameplay is so linear that if you go do all the quests in your first run through there is very little reason to do it all again. There were a few quests I missed and I started playing through the game again but then I ran into planet scanning....again....holy fuck why is that in the game still? It should seriously be patched out. It's insane that a game this good has something so god awful to deal with.

I traded the game and seeing what has happened with the DLC since I'm happy I made that choice. All these little packs for a few bucks are insulting considering they have this special network designed to deliver free content. Turned out to be a gimic to entice people to buy the game at launch rather than a system to make buying games new more rewarding.

I do have a request in for the collector's edition of ME2 to trade, but at this point I'm canceling that. I was hoping they'd add something worse all this fuss, but the game has gotten some lipstick and hairspray. I was hoping for a lot more.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

4. Re: New Mass Effect 2 DLC Next Month May 13, 2010, 11:51 Rigs

I wasn't aware that ME2 had died...

Interesting question, though. When is a game considered 'dead'? Or even 'old' for that matter? Since even the most obscure games usually have a small following, is a game ever considered truly 'dead'? I'm not talking about games that were never released, so Duke Nukem Forever fans can go about kicking their dead horse without delay...

=-Rigs-=

3. Re: New Mass Effect 2 DLC Next Month May 13, 2010, 10:45 StaTik

Kick that dead horse.  

2. Re: New Mass Effect 2 DLC Next Month May 13, 2010, 10:28 Creston

Finally! A DLC with some meat to it (I hope, anyways.)

Creston

1. Re: New Mass Effect 2 DLC Next Month May 13, 2010, 10:22 Elessar

I enjoyed, but stopped playing the main game months ago. Collect all of this DLC, release a substantial expansion and then I'll be interested. This nickle and dime stuff is more annoying than it is enticing.  

"You don't get what you deserve, you get what you get."

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo