Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

OnLive UK Plans

OnLive is partnering with British Telecommunications to bring its cloud-based game and media service to the UK, reports CNET News. The service is planned to go live in the US on June 17, but there's no word on when to expect the UK launch.

View
6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

6. Re: OnLive UK Plans May 14, 2010, 00:23 Fang

...I have a 5mbps dsl line.

Well, there you go. This service is targeted toward fiber users (which number in the millions now). Personally, I love my 20 mbps / 8 ms ping FIOS.

The technology may not be there for you guys in flyover country, but it is for me

Now their business model... We'll see about that. $15/month just to get access is a little steep.

But man, some of you guys remind me of Riley ranting about Steam. The technology is there, the only problem is the business economics.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

5. Re: OnLive UK Plans May 13, 2010, 18:06 Cutter

They sent me a beta invite but I couldn't participate as I failed their initial test of not being close enough to their data centre even though I have a 5mbps dsl line.  

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

4. Re: OnLive UK Plans May 13, 2010, 13:33 DG

BT. That means exclusive service to BT customers. That is, customers who pay their money directly to BT - we're just about all BT customers because BT owns nearly all of the infrastructure and takes a big slice of all the revenue.

But BT customer service is appallingly bad, and their executives call anyone racists if they talk about not being able to understand what their grade Z Indian call centres are saying. (Whilst claiming they are grade A centres, even though with those you usually have to make an effort to even notice).

BT customer service voted worst in UK:
http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/latestnews/You-keep-me-hanging-on.5412146.jp

This comment was edited on May 13, 2010, 13:39.

3. Re: OnLive UK Plans May 13, 2010, 10:37 nin

Another attempt to fool investors into thinking that this is a serious service....

I don't doubt they think they can do it, but I do doubt that they can do it.

Just don't think the infrastructure is there for most places.

edit: Not to mention their wacky ass pricing structure, that could easily doom it before it gets out of the gate...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

2. Re: OnLive UK Plans May 13, 2010, 10:22 InBlack

Another attempt to fool investors into thinking that this is a serious service....  

I have a nifty blue line!

1. Re: OnLive UK Plans May 13, 2010, 10:15 BobBob

Is there anyone who actually takes this 'technology' seriously?  

6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo