Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Strike Fighters 2 Expansion Pack 1

Third Wire Productions now offers Strike Fighters 2 Expansion Pack 1, the first expansion pack for the Strike Fighters 2 series of air combat games. The expansion requires Strike Fighters 2 Israel, an it adds Mystere IVA, Meteor F.8, and P-51D Mustang as player-flyable aircraft, as well as "Operation Kadesh," a historical campaign set in the 1956 Suez Crisis, where the propeller fighters did battle with jet fighters. Word is: "join the Israeli Defense Force / Air Force and engage in struggle for survival over the desert!" Thanks Jim.

View
5 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

5. Where to download the free SF2:V unofficial expansion May 13, 2010, 11:32 skyguy

After much reading, I think I've figured out all the files needed for the unofficial "Strike Fighters 2: Vietnam Air and Ground Expansion Pack." I believe you'll need to be registered on combatace.com to see these files. They are:

Expansion Pack part 1

Expansion Pack part 2

Expansion Pack part 3

Expansion Pack part 4

Historically accurate mission names

Flight of the Intruder A-6 model

Installation instructions are in the first link. There is a discussion forum here:
Expansion pack discussion forum

But keep in mind that most of the discussion is out of date, and the first post hasn't been updated with the latest patch version and download links. Use the first link in this post for all that info, and go to the end of the discussion forum for posts relevant to the current version.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

4. Re: Strike Fighters 2 Expansion Pack 1 May 13, 2010, 10:40 skyguy

Thanks for that link, I never knew about the "Strike Fighters 2: Vietnam Air and Ground Expansion Pack," I have to try it out! Now I just need to figure out where to download the damn thing. Combatace.com is so confusingly organized.

3. Re: Strike Fighters 2 Expansion Pack 1 May 13, 2010, 08:59 zirik

Shadowcat wrote on May 13, 2010, 07:16:
As to your first two questions, I'm not actually in a position to answer, but you'll certainly find plenty of reviews if you go looking. There's some current discussion at KiwiSim, in fact: http://www.kiwisim.net.nz/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4959 and you will certainly find loads of conversation in the dedicated forums at Combatsim, SimHQ, and at Third Wire's own site.

thanks for the clarification. i will check out those websites. i am looking for an easy flight sim that can run on my laptop that only has an intel graphics chip. im hoping the strike fighters series will allow me to do that.

2. Re: Strike Fighters 2 Expansion Pack 1 May 13, 2010, 07:16 Shadowcat

No, you have that a bit wrong.

The Third Wire sims do share some design goals with some of the sims released under the Jane's umbrella (particularly the USNF/ATF/Fighters Anthology line) in that they are intended to be relatively easy to pick up and play, sacrificing complex avionics simulation for accessibility, but still aiming to be more flight simulation than arcade game.

Remember that "Jane's Combat Simulations" was nothing more than a licensed marketing label, and did not on its own give any indication of who developed the sim, or what kind of focus it had. "F/A-18" was a completely different kettle of fish to the "ATF" line, for example.

You might be getting mixed up by the fact that Third Wire's Tsuyoshi Kawahito (TK) was one of the lead developers on several JCS games, however the Third Wire sims are a completely separate line, developed in-house from scratch.

You are sort-of-correct that the "Strike Fighters 2" line is a Vista/W7-compatible upgrade to the original "Strike Fighters" and "Wings Over (Wherever)" series (there are graphical updates as well, mind -- the downloads are quite a bit larger than their predecessors).

They are also extremely mod-friendly sims, with a large and active community producing all manner of add-ons (new terrain, new aircraft, visual effects, flight and weapon modelling updates, etc, etc).

As to your first two questions, I'm not actually in a position to answer, but you'll certainly find plenty of reviews if you go looking. There's some current discussion at KiwiSim, in fact: http://www.kiwisim.net.nz/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4959 and you will certainly find loads of conversation in the dedicated forums at Combatsim, SimHQ, and at Third Wire's own site.

If you enjoy relatively accessible sims with a dog-fighting focus, and aren't worried about a lack of complex avionics or dynamic campaigns, then I'd definitely say you should take a closer look, as the people who like the sims seem to like them a lot. Third Wire are only a small company without the resources to pack every desirable feature into their sims, but they obviously focus on doing certain things well, and their community seems pretty appreciative of their efforts in general.

1. Re: Strike Fighters 2 Expansion Pack 1 May 13, 2010, 00:51 zirik

anyone try their games? how good is it? if i remember correctly, they are all based on the janes flight sims which are now updated to run on windows 7, vista & xp. am i right?  

5 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo