Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I managed to strain my back doing something that seems like an obvious way to do so, except until I hurt myself I didn't even realize I did it. I was in the car and needed to get my wallet, so I braced my head against the headrest and arched my back to get to my back pocket when I felt the strain. As I say, I never was previously conscious of this maneuver, but now that I am, I'm surprised I haven't hurt myself this way before.

Strained Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez.
Play: Building Blaster 2.
Tombscape 2.
Riftic. Thanks Jay is Games.
Stories: Colleyville Fourth-Grader Corrects Disney Mistake. Thanks Neatorama.
Science: Using Laser to Map Ancient Civilization in a Matter of Days. Thanks Neutronbeam.
Bat studies to aid roving robots. Thanks Acleacius.
BBQ Transportation Fail.
New Photo Shows 'Spiderweb' City From Space. Thanks dakslf.
Media: Darth Vader's recording for TomTom GPS - behind the scenes. Thanks Acleacius.
'Super 8' TRAILER- J.J. Abrams New Area-51 Movie Produced By Spielberg. Thanks Acleacius.
The Funnies: Abstruse Goose Ľ Effective Frequency. Thanks Digg.
Follow-up: The Moment Youíve Waited For - Lens Blog.

View
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

12. Re: Out of the Blue May 12, 2010, 20:55 xXBatmanXx

I may start giving yoga a go myself, but I'll probably go back to tai chi.

mmmm I love Thai food.

Drunken Noodles for the win!

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: Out of the Blue May 12, 2010, 20:18 EvilGrouse

I found a new way to cripple myself in the shower the other morning. I was yawning and stretching, lowered my head, extented my arms out and.........OWWWWWWWW! Kink in my neck. Damn. I won't do THAT again. Ha!  

10. Re: Out of the Blue May 12, 2010, 19:25 Mcboinkens

Blue wrote on May 12, 2010, 15:30:
Hey everyone, I need some help. I was surfing Blue's News today and I was automatically redirected to apparently another website.

That sounds like a variant on a fairly common scam. You probably are not infected, but you are wise to check.

You say you were reading this site when it happened... do you think it originated here? Had you clicked on a link or an ad? We've had no such issues with our current ad provider, but if it's possible we're serving a malware ad, I'd like to track it down.

I haven't had it happen since then, which could be good or bad. But yeah, I had already viewed the three image links from Out of the Blue. All three of the websites are pretty popular and I doubt that it would have come from any of the links here, assuming it actually is malware. Hadn't clicked on any ads either. I'll let you know if it happens again. Just seemed odd to me since I am a very careful surfer, I never click on anything suspicious and definately don't go for ads. Oh well, I'll see if I find anything. Full virus scan said everything was clean though, so who knows. Thanks!

9. Re: Out of the Blue May 12, 2010, 16:13 Hoop

That sounds like a variant on a fairly common scam. You probably are not infected, but you are wise to check.
If he is infected send him over here to Coach....Oh HELL Yeah! ,now were talk'n.

Blue straining your back when going for your wallet is a common strain. Though much more common in bars at exactly the momment its the persons round!

This comment was edited on May 12, 2010, 16:59.

Um .. Behind you...

8. Re: Out of the Blue May 12, 2010, 16:12 PHJF

I wouldn't drive at all with my wallet in my pocket, isn't that uncomfortable? First thing I do when I get in the car is put my phone and wallet in a container.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

7. Re: Out of the Blue May 12, 2010, 16:11 noman

This sounds like "Antispyware soft" scam.

Malwarebytes Antimalware will remove it, but you'll have very hard time, if you indeed have this trojan. Try to boot into safe mode, and run msconfig from start->run. You would see few programs getting started there with names having random letters and numbers. You need to disable these. Also, if you use IE, go to tools->internet options->connections->lan-settings and disable the proxy-server setting that this trojan sets on its own.

You can then boot normally and run Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, to remove the trojan completely.

6. Re: Out of the Blue May 12, 2010, 15:30  Blue 

Hey everyone, I need some help. I was surfing Blue's News today and I was automatically redirected to apparently another website.

You say you were reading this site when it happened... do you think it originated here? Had you clicked on a link or an ad? We've had no such issues with our current ad provider, but if it's possible we're serving a malware ad, I'd like to track it down.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

5. Re: Out of the Blue May 12, 2010, 15:23 Mcboinkens

Hey everyone, I need some help. I was surfing Blue's News today and I was automatically redirected to apparently another website. It had a popup saying my computer had signs of being infected. I tried closing my browser via the taskbar but it wouldn't let me, so I X'd out of the pop up and the website started a simulated scan, from what I could tell. I immediately got out of it, because it was way too suspicious. My question is, has any had an experience like this before? Normal I would say it was just another old virus attempt, but since it happened while I was browsing Blue's I couldn't tell. I'm running a virus scan as we speak, just in case.  

4. Re: Out of the Blue May 12, 2010, 15:10 Cutter

Abs. Most people that have back problems lack stength in their core. A strong stomach will do more for your back muscles than back excercises will. That and stretching. Time to start doing some yoga or tai chi, Blue. I may start giving yoga a go myself, but I'll probably go back to tai chi.

In this case, it sounds more like a mile hyperextension than anything else. Get Mrs. Blue to throw some Absorbine on the affected area. Alternating with a heat pad and ice pack will help a great deal as well.

Heh, I remember reefing my back out of shape about 2 years ago moving my desk. Instead of lifting with the knees and moving it properly I bent over, grabbed a corner and pulled. Than I felt that wrenching sensation and dropped to my knees cursing like a sailor. I felt pretty foolish calling into work explaining it to my boss that I'd need a few days off because of my own laziness/stupidity. Spent 2 days just lying on the floor alternating heat and ice before I could finally get around without shooting pain.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

3. Re: Out of the Blue May 12, 2010, 14:37 Mr. Tact

That's a pretty wimpy way to injure your back. I think some basic back strengthening exercises might be a good idea.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

2. Re: Out of the Blue May 12, 2010, 14:32 Kxmode

bfg9000 wrote on May 12, 2010, 13:09:
Reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where George injures his back due to always sitting on his wallet which was completely stuffed with old coupons and business cards.

Is that the episode where George walks down the street trying to force-close his wallet, but instead his wallet explodes open?

1. Re: Out of the Blue May 12, 2010, 13:09 bfg9000

Reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where George injures his back due to always sitting on his wallet which was completely stuffed with old coupons and business cards.  

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo