Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Alganon Plagiarism?

Kill Ten Rats has a post pointing out some striking similarities (that they are calling "blatant plagiarism") between the recent Alganon launch announcement and a Star Wars: The Old Republic press release from October 2008 (thanks Ryan via Massively). Here are the examples:

“Traditionally, massively multiplier online games have been about three basic gameplay pillars – combat, exploration and character progression,” Derek Smart continued. “In Alganon, in addition to these we’ve added the fourth pillar to the equation; a story. We delivered a fun, immersive adventure that gamers expect in a top quality massively multiplayer online game. To top it all off, we’re not done yet. A whole new adventure with new updates will follow soon, starting with a consignment house, new classes, PvP and much more.”

“Traditionally, massively multiplayer online games have been about three basic gameplay pillars – combat, exploration and character progression,” said Dr. Ray Muzyka, Co-Founder and General Manager/CEO of BioWare and General Manager/Vice President of Electronic Arts Inc., “In Star Wars: The Old Republic, we’re fusing BioWare’s heritage of critically-acclaimed storytelling with the amazing pedigree of Lucasfilm and LucasArts, and adding a brand-new fourth pillar to the equation – story. At the same time, we will still deliver all the fun features and activities that fans have come to expect in a AAA massively multiplayer online game. To top it all off, Star Wars: The Old Republic is set in a very exciting, dynamic period in the Star Wars universe.”

View
39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

39. Re: Alganon Plagiarism? May 13, 2010, 08:53 zirik

AdamK47 wrote on May 10, 2010, 20:37:
No comments about it being "massively multiplier" yet?

its a huge calculator?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

38. Re: Alganon Plagiarism? May 11, 2010, 02:40 Icewind

Sometimes you dig your hole so deep it's best to just throw the shovel in and walk away rather than attempt to cover it up.  

37. Re: Alganon Plagiarism? May 10, 2010, 20:37 AdamK47

No comments about it being "massively multiplier" yet?  

36. Re: Alganon Plagiarism? May 10, 2010, 19:18 shaggy

Cutter wrote on May 10, 2010, 17:03:
Have at it, haha. I do not work for dsmart. I also do not have any stock in the game either.

So you're either easily amused, duped, or a scumbag working for some viral marketing firm. Which is it?

I like having a good time, so I pick 'Easily Amused'

35. Re: Alganon Plagiarism? May 10, 2010, 17:03 Cutter

Have at it, haha. I do not work for dsmart. I also do not have any stock in the game either.

So you're either easily amused, duped, or a scumbag working for some viral marketing firm. Which is it?

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

34. Re: Alganon Plagiarism? May 10, 2010, 16:47 shaggy

kxmode wrote on May 10, 2010, 16:41:
shaggy wrote on May 10, 2010, 16:16:
haha, I knew it would come up sooner or later. I have been visiting Blue's back when it was just a quake site, but I just did not feel the need to post until now. I know there aren't that many people playing the game and it is easy to throw cheap shots at something with something getting bad press. I didn't want to sit by and watch a game I enjoy playing getting bashed by people have not re/tried it since it's relaunch a couple of weeks ago.

I think I will start posting in other thread too :P

Of course Blue could always ID you based on IP like he did a long time ago to expose someone claiming to be an independent source when in fact they had the same IP as dsmart. It's too easy to make an account on Blue's News, then start posting. If all your posts are positive for only one game can you really blame us for being skeptical of anything you say?

33. Re: Alganon Plagiarism? May 10, 2010, 16:41 Kxmode

shaggy wrote on May 10, 2010, 16:16:
haha, I knew it would come up sooner or later. I have been visiting Blue's back when it was just a quake site, but I just did not feel the need to post until now. I know there aren't that many people playing the game and it is easy to throw cheap shots at something with something getting bad press. I didn't want to sit by and watch a game I enjoy playing getting bashed by people have not re/tried it since it's relaunch a couple of weeks ago.

I think I will start posting in other thread too :P

Of course Blue could always ID you based on IP like he did a long time ago to expose someone claiming to be an independent source when in fact they had the same IP as dsmart. It's too easy to make an account on Blue's News, then start posting. If all your posts are positive for only one game can you really blame us for being skeptical of anything you say?

32. Re: Alganon Plagiarism? May 10, 2010, 16:16 shaggy

Verno wrote on May 10, 2010, 15:56:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fqa_dNOCksQ

I'll believe you shaggy when I see it on some reputable sites. And when you don't have 4 posts to your name that all exist to defend Alganon

I think I will start posting in other thread too

edit: whoops I forgot to mention.. that video was from the December release which was apparently craptastic from all accounts. I only just recently picked it up and it doesn't look like that anymore.

31. Re: Alganon Plagiarism? May 10, 2010, 15:56 Verno

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fqa_dNOCksQ

I'll believe you shaggy when I see it on some reputable sites. And when you don't have 4 posts to your name that all exist to defend Alganon

Playing: Dark Souls 2
Watching: Korengal, Legends, Intruders

30. Re: Alganon Plagiarism? May 10, 2010, 15:38 shaggy

WyldKat wrote on May 10, 2010, 15:15:
Considering the game itself is nearly a carbon copy of WoW I'm not really surprised...

http://www.massively.com/2010/05/03/alganon-re-release-worth-all-the-hype/
copied some tidbits on the graphics, but the rest is a good read too.
"The game just looks good, anyway, minus a few funny character animations and cartoony-ish models. It feels like a step between WoW's kiddie graphics and WAR or Allods' more serious look. There are even areas that remind me of Lord of the Rings Online or Vanguard, all while maintaining a unique edge. I would say that the new look is more of a new feel. The game simply feels more serious, more polished, than before. (Of course this could be due to the fact that I have come across new areas that I have not seen yet, or due to better shaders and textures. I do not know which.)"

29. Re: Alganon Plagiarism? May 10, 2010, 15:27 Creston

Aren't all these "announcements" a dime a dozen anyways? I always thought that devs/publishers just had a book of "Boring Ways To Announce Your Game."

I'd be hard pressed to state that a press-release qualifies as plagiarism.

Creston

28. Re: Alganon Plagiarism? May 10, 2010, 15:15 WyldKat

Considering the game itself is nearly a carbon copy of WoW I'm not really surprised...  

27. Re: Alganon Plagiarism? May 10, 2010, 15:07 Kxmode

nin wrote on May 10, 2010, 14:11:
So does Derek just sit around his computer waiting for Alganon alerts?

I would imagine some sort of flashing light and siren combo.

I would also imagine it goes off hourly.

"Quick Robin! Give me the Shark repellent!"

26. Re: Alganon Plagiarism? May 10, 2010, 14:11 nin

So does Derek just sit around his computer waiting for Alganon alerts?

I would imagine some sort of flashing light and siren combo.

I would also imagine it goes off hourly.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

25. Re: Alganon Plagiarism? May 10, 2010, 14:09 BobBob

1. I thought the device was still up after she arrived. It can only be used once?

2. Only one person left out of 6 billion people?

24. Re: Alganon Plagiarism? May 10, 2010, 14:03 Mashiki Amiketo

dsmart wrote on May 10, 2010, 13:17:
Its rubbish really
You know it's "close enough" that I would have been tossed out of university for writing something that "similar" to the other. And I would have failed any paper when I was a TA for something like that, while I was finishing my masters.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

23. Re: Alganon Plagiarism? May 10, 2010, 13:37 Kxmode

BobBob wrote on May 10, 2010, 13:22:
I never understood the movie Contact. They accused her of imagining it all. Okay, so just repeat the experiment with someone else? Stupid movie.

Two reasons:

1. The cost of just one was in the trillions. As Mr. Hadden stated, "First rule in government spending: why build one when you can have two at twice the price?" It would have been too expensive to build a third machine to send another person. Besides to a lot of people the second one failed. That's why they had the hearings. Because there was no evidence. Of course there was that little quip at the end,

Rachel Constantine: I assume you read the confidential findings report from the investigating committee.
Michael Kitz: I flipped through it.
Rachel Constantine: I was especially interested in the section on Arroway's video unit. The one that recorded the static?
Michael Kitz: Continue.
Rachel Constantine: The fact that it recorded static isn't what interests me.
Michael Kitz: [pauses] Continue.
Rachel Constantine: What interests me is that it recorded approximately eighteen hours of it.
Michael Kitz: [leans forward so he is looking directly in the camera] That is interesting, isn't it?

2. They already vetted potential candidates. One of the candidates left the program. Another was killed by a suicide bomber. This left Ellie; the only qualified and vetted person to go.

22. Re: Alganon Plagiarism? May 10, 2010, 13:29 S2M

Time to throw someone under the bus!  
The thickness of your ignorance, it's like a fucking shield that repulses insight.

21. Re: Alganon Plagiarism? May 10, 2010, 13:28 Drazula

My favorite definition of a man's character: the ability to finish something long after the excitement of starting it has worn off.

Derek Smart's legacy is a lack of character.

20. Re: Alganon Plagiarism? May 10, 2010, 13:22 BobBob

I never understood the movie Contact. They accused her of imagining it all. Okay, so just repeat the experiment with someone else? Stupid movie.  

39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo