Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Natural Selection 2 Engine Test on Steam

The Natural Selection 2 Website has news that as they near the alpha release of the action strategy sequel, saying they are switching to distribution of updates to the tools and engine through Steam. Those interested in participating in their prerelease engine tests can preorder the game here, and those who have preordered should receive an email "shortly" with a key to activate NS2 on Steam, and they add that those who can't wait can retrieve their key through this page. They also outline the current version of the engine they will be testing: "In this release we've activated the server browser, fixed restoring the graphics device when you alt-tab in and out of the game, shored up some visual differences between spot lights in the editor and the game, and added the preliminary documentation on the engine's scripting API."

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Re: Natural Selection 2 Engine Test on Steam May 10, 2010, 23:30 Sepharo

Kobalt wrote on May 9, 2010, 00:18:
When a large company offers preorder bonuses, such as blizzard, you just need to put 5 dollars down. These little indie companies make you pay for the game.

Are you in the habit of buying preorder bonuses without intending to purchase the full game? How do you use them?

This engine test isn't even a reward in the sense that your using. It's a compatibility test and a freebie for investors such as myself.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: Natural Selection 2 Engine Test on Steam May 9, 2010, 00:18 Kobalt

TychoCelchuuu wrote on May 8, 2010, 16:50:
Starcraft 2 does the same sort of "preorder and get into the beta" thing and I don't see too many people whining about that. If you don't want to do it just don't buy the game until it comes out. That's pretty simple, I'd say.

When a large company offers preorder bonuses, such as blizzard, you just need to put 5 dollars down. These little indie companies make you pay for the game.

17. Re: Natural Selection 2 Engine Test on Steam May 8, 2010, 21:08 PHJF

It's been in development for 3.5 years, I'm sure they could find the time to post SOME screenshots or something more than the couple of teaser videos. Unless the sum of development so far has been on concept art and the engine.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

16. Re: Natural Selection 2 Engine Test on Steam May 8, 2010, 20:53 ASeven

PHJF wrote on May 8, 2010, 18:28:
There hasn't been nearly enough content shown to justify paying anything, nor has there been a semblance of indication just when exactly NS2 is to be released.

That's the thing with all indies, there never really is anything concrete for a long time since they are getting the development funds from pre-orders. It's not people with deep pockets we're talking here but ordinary coders with ordinary bank accounts that need funding to develop a game, and that means getting the funds from pre-orders.

Is there a chance people who pay the pre-order get burned? Hell yeah, but so are the chances you pay for a AAA game that falls flat on its promise.

15. Re: Natural Selection 2 Engine Test on Steam May 8, 2010, 18:41 Sepharo

PHJF wrote on May 8, 2010, 18:28:
There hasn't been nearly enough content shown to justify paying anything, nor has there been a semblance of indication just when exactly NS2 is to be released.

NS1 is enough for me.

But there has been tons of content shown on their developer blogs. Additionally they've solicited community input to improve the game.

14. Re: Natural Selection 2 Engine Test on Steam May 8, 2010, 18:28 PHJF

Steam + PSN: PHJF

13. Re: Natural Selection 2 Engine Test on Steam May 8, 2010, 18:26 ASeven

Sepharo wrote on May 8, 2010, 17:05:
I paid collector's edition price years ago with only a hint at some pre-release material.

I have no problem helping out indie developers making games that fit my paradigm.

Same here. Look at other indies that need pre-orders to keep developing, like Interstellar Marines (which will ROCK), Primal Carnage (Dinossaurs vs Humans in MP), Grim Dawn, etc

Have no problem funding indies at all, I'll quickly pre-order an indie than buy a AAA game nowadays.

12. Re: Natural Selection 2 Engine Test on Steam May 8, 2010, 17:05 Sepharo

I paid collector's edition price years ago with only a hint at some pre-release material.

I have no problem helping out indie developers making games that fit my paradigm.

11. Re: Natural Selection 2 Engine Test on Steam May 8, 2010, 17:04 Zyrxil

Starcraft 2, Battlefield Bad Company 2, Team Fortress 2, the last dozen MMOs to come out, Halo, etc., etc. If you don't like it, cancel your preorder.  

10. Re: Natural Selection 2 Engine Test on Steam May 8, 2010, 16:50 TychoCelchuuu

Starcraft 2 does the same sort of "preorder and get into the beta" thing and I don't see too many people whining about that. If you don't want to do it just don't buy the game until it comes out. That's pretty simple, I'd say.  

9. Re: Natural Selection 2 Engine Test on Steam May 8, 2010, 16:19 J

Fire-storms aside, I had fond memories with Natural Selection and am looking forward to seeing how this pans out.  

8. Re: Natural Selection 2 Engine Test on Steam May 8, 2010, 16:17 Kobalt

It always amuses me that people are dumb enough to pay the price of a full game for the honor of testing a beta. Always works out well, mortal online is a recent shining example.

Second of all, I can't believe they are so far behind they are just doing engine tests, probably still years away.

7. Re: Natural Selection 2 Engine Test on Steam May 8, 2010, 15:31 Zyrxil

ASJD wrote on May 8, 2010, 14:27:
Paying money to beta test now? WHAT THE FUCK?
Are you fucking serious? It's a PREORDER that gets you into a beta engine test. Oh, what a ripoff, I mean it's not like this is standard operating procedure for multiplayer-only games for years now. OH WAIT IT IS. It's not as if you're buying your way into a Beta and only the Beta, you get the full game when it comes out too.

6. Re: Natural Selection 2 Engine Test on Steam May 8, 2010, 15:17 Blahman

ASJD wrote on May 8, 2010, 15:12:
ASeven wrote on May 8, 2010, 14:30:
Indie game, was in pre-order for a year now, those beta testing, like me, had already pre-ordered the game. That's how Indies get funded, by pre-orders, this engine test is a bonus and an alpha test.

That's absolutely not how all indies get funded. Many put up their own money and then either get paid or don't. It's only because these guys made free mods before that they can work such a business model at all.

Blahman wrote on May 8, 2010, 14:40:
Maybe instead of jumping to conclusions you should read a little bit of the history of the game and the company.

They are literally a handful of people. 1 engine/tools programmer (Max), 1 game designer/logic scripter (Flayra), an audio engineer and a very small number of artists, only one or two actually in-house.

The game would be dead in the water without the support of preorders, production costs are just too high to do it out of pocket.

Now that they're on Steam they have a solid advertising base and can expand their team if need be, ensuring the game will be a success.

Plain excuses, and frankly it's disgusting. Plenty of people are able to do the same thing without pulling such bullshit. But there will always be suckers who buy first and 'pay the price' later, even while other, higher quality indie games get utterly ignored.

Yeah okay buddy. Let us know when you're back in reality.

5. Re: Natural Selection 2 Engine Test on Steam May 8, 2010, 15:12 ASJD

ASeven wrote on May 8, 2010, 14:30:
Indie game, was in pre-order for a year now, those beta testing, like me, had already pre-ordered the game. That's how Indies get funded, by pre-orders, this engine test is a bonus and an alpha test.

That's absolutely not how all indies get funded. Many put up their own money and then either get paid or don't. It's only because these guys made free mods before that they can work such a business model at all.

Blahman wrote on May 8, 2010, 14:40:
Maybe instead of jumping to conclusions you should read a little bit of the history of the game and the company.

They are literally a handful of people. 1 engine/tools programmer (Max), 1 game designer/logic scripter (Flayra), an audio engineer and a very small number of artists, only one or two actually in-house.

The game would be dead in the water without the support of preorders, production costs are just too high to do it out of pocket.

Now that they're on Steam they have a solid advertising base and can expand their team if need be, ensuring the game will be a success.

Plain excuses, and frankly it's disgusting. Plenty of people are able to do the same thing without pulling such bullshit. But there will always be suckers who buy first and 'pay the price' later, even while other, higher quality indie games get utterly ignored.

4. Re: Natural Selection 2 Engine Test on Steam May 8, 2010, 14:40 Blahman

3. Re: Natural Selection 2 Engine Test on Steam May 8, 2010, 14:30 ASeven

2. Re: Natural Selection 2 Engine Test on Steam May 8, 2010, 14:27 ASJD

1. Re: Natural Selection 2 Engine Test on Steam May 8, 2010, 14:10 |oR|jonvall

Highly anticipating this one!! Spent many an hour of NS 1!!  

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo