Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Star Trek Online Demo, Welcome Back Weekend

Atari announces the launch of the promised referral and veteran rewards and programs for Star Trek Online, along with the release of the playable demo for Cryptic's Trekkie MMORPG. First off, this is a "welcome back" weekend for former players of the game. Details are here, and the welcome back event will run until 1:00 pm EDT Monday. The Veteran Rewards page outlines gifts for the game's most dedicated fans, and for vets seeking more rewards, this page has details on what you can earn for enticing your friends to join the game. Finally, this page is where to learn more about the playable demo. Word is:

• You need a Cryptic account to play. Don't have one yet? Create one here.
  • You can play through the entire Star Trek Online Tutorial, as well as the Episode "Stranded in Space." Master your skills in space and on the ground, then rescue the S.S. Azura!
  • The Demo is restricted to the Federation faction.
  • You have unlimited play time. Play as much as you like. To access the full version of Star Trek Online, purchase the full game from any of these fine retailers.

View
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

28. Re: Star Trek Online Demo, Welcome Back Weekend May 12, 2010, 12:19 JohnnyRotten

Zadig wrote on May 8, 2010, 14:28:
This is a good example of why licensing is a bad idea 99.9% of the time. Slapping a popular franchise onto another generic, unfinished, MMO just makes the shameless cash grab more apparent.

On the plus side, they're only 3 months away from Battlestar Online, B5 Online, My Pretty Pink Pony Online, Champions Online. Whoops, they already re-skinned for the last one.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: Star Trek Online Demo, Welcome Back Weekend May 11, 2010, 19:30 Gunz

Took 24+ hours to download (WAY too long even for a free try). Patched in a few min.(not too bad, but kinda slow for this machine). Got my human looking pretty darn close to the real me (except the color of my beard. I found that odd.Maybe I missed something?) Spent 45+ seconds in-world before it crashed. Looks like it might take a while to file check before I get my next shot.

Update: files checked and ready to go as I wrote this (60+ seconds?)-- not bad.

Wish me luck! I would really like to play now (I've been waiting for a while.)

26. Re: Star Trek Online Demo, Welcome Back Weekend May 9, 2010, 17:01 LazyCat

8 gig plus download at slow speeds- took a couple days,
unable to get in to play or patch game due to "account error"
way to go Cryptic! you actually expect people to pay for this?

25. Re: Star Trek Online Demo, Welcome Back Weekend May 9, 2010, 05:45 Jonny

It finished downloading and I tried it last night. I kinda enjoyed it, because I'm a fan of sci-fi stuff and I enjoy the mix of ship and ground combat. That said, while it was fun the ship combat was not as good as Bridge Commander and the ground combat was not as good as Elite Force 2. Progress eh?  

24. Re: Star Trek Online Demo, Welcome Back Weekend May 8, 2010, 14:28 Zadig

This is a good example of why licensing is a bad idea 99.9% of the time. Slapping a popular franchise onto another generic, unfinished, MMO just makes the shameless cash grab more apparent.

If they had the courage or creativity to use their own 'lore' for the space setting, they'd have gotten some positive press for being marginally different. Instead they produce another horrible game that was only made into a MMO because too many stupid developers are chasing the WoW jackpot.

23. Re: Star Trek Online Demo, Welcome Back Weekend May 8, 2010, 14:02 Ant

AnarKane wrote on May 8, 2010, 13:56:
Ant wrote on May 8, 2010, 02:44:
And do beta testers count as welcome back?
Apparently not, I just tried it. "Account error, please contact Billing Support." Gives me less than zero reason to want to try it out.
Oh well.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

22. Re: Star Trek Online Demo, Welcome Back Weekend May 8, 2010, 13:56 AnarKane

Ant wrote on May 8, 2010, 02:44:
And do beta testers count as welcome back?
Apparently not, I just tried it. "Account error, please contact Billing Support." Gives me less than zero reason to want to try it out.

"We can do this one of two ways. There's the hard way, which involves hours of discussion, tons of negotiation, half a dozen bribes, and no guarantee of success."
"What's the easy way?"
"Liberally placed high explosives."

21. Re: Is it just me? May 8, 2010, 09:50 Jonny

Gunz wrote on May 8, 2010, 05:49:
Is it just me or does their downloader go REALLY slow? My network screams, so it's not my end.

I'm always in the mood to try something new, but, for me, the demonstration starts with the installer. And if the installer gives any indication of what the game plays like... perhaps I should go back to playing Chess by mail ; )

It set my Kaspersky Internet Security off screaming about a DoS attack. I had about 200 alerts in a couple of minutes until it either stopped doing whatever it was or Kaspersky gave up in disgust.

20. Re: Poor from May 8, 2010, 09:39 Lorcin

yeah downloader is hideous - and really missing a pause button. I'm getting less than a tenth of my avaliable speed but it's pushing my ping up in everything else from 100ms to ~800ms.

LOTRO always was and always will be a WoW wannabe - everything from the icons to the bags looks like wow. It just plays a lot worse with no real feel that your using anything except auto attack.

19. Re: Poor from May 8, 2010, 08:43 Ant

Esoteric wrote on May 8, 2010, 05:20:
LOTRO is awesome.
I played the beta. Is it that much better now? Does it have free parts (no subscription and time limits) in the game like in Age of Conan (still need to try it)?

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

18. Re: Poor from May 8, 2010, 07:25 Kobalt

Yet another mmo released too early that has a mass migration after the first month. When will these companies learn..

I'm honestly worried that the first mmo to be as good as wow is the next blizzard mmo 4+ years off.

17. Re: Star Trek Online Demo, Welcome Back Weekend May 8, 2010, 07:16 S2M

Perhaps the they wouldn't be hurting for subscribers if they actually made a Star Trek game instead of a generic MMO with a Star Trek skin....  
The thickness of your ignorance, it's like a fucking shield that repulses insight.

16. Re: Star Trek Online Demo, Welcome Back Weekend May 8, 2010, 06:51 ibm

If you've played it during beta then your 5 minutes of fun have been used up already I'm afraid.  

15. Re: Star Trek Online Demo, Welcome Back Weekend May 8, 2010, 06:08 Kxmode

I like how the game came out on February 2 and they're already calling past subscribers "veterans".  

14. Is it just me? May 8, 2010, 05:49 Gunz

Is it just me or does their downloader go REALLY slow? My network screams, so it's not my end.

I'm always in the mood to try something new, but, for me, the demonstration starts with the installer. And if the installer gives any indication of what the game plays like... perhaps I should go back to playing Chess by mail ; )

13. Re: Poor from May 8, 2010, 05:25 Kajetan

Golwar wrote on May 8, 2010, 05:21:
It is Star Trek. So this game boldly went, where no MMO was before.
Into the gutter? A lot of MMOs went that way already

12. Re: Poor from May 8, 2010, 05:21 Golwar

It is Star Trek. So this game boldly went, where no MMO was before. You should have known that Prez.  

11. Re: Poor from May 8, 2010, 05:20 Esoteric

LOTRO is awesome.  

10. Re: Poor from May 8, 2010, 03:04 Prez

No I never played it. I've read the previews, the reviews, and personal accounts from real players. Now can you tell me honestly that it is radically different from any other MMO?  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

9. Re: Star Trek Online Demo, Welcome Back Weekend May 8, 2010, 02:44 Ant

How much better is STO from its beta days? And do beta testers count as welcome back?  

28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo