Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Modern Warfare 2 Free Weekend Underway

Steam News has word that the Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 free weekend is underway:

Jump in the Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 Free Multiplayer Weekend, on now! Also includes double XP earned during gameplay this weekend, plus buy the game before Monday and save!

If you already have Steam installed you can click here to install or play. If you don't have Steam, you can download it here.

View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. Re: Modern Warfare 2 Free Weekend Underway May 8, 2010, 09:13 Ant

Is this basically the same thing that was done a few weekends ago? If so, then meh since I wasn't impressed.  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: Modern Warfare 2 Free Weekend Underway May 8, 2010, 07:35 Dev

Dr. D. Schreber wrote on May 7, 2010, 08:41:
Yes, it's been giving double XP all week. Although a few things don't give double XP like headshot bonuses. Actual XP depends on gametype; in TDM, a kill is worth 100XP (200 this week,) in the objective-based game modes, it's worth half that while you get XP bonuses for helping with the objectives.

Don't count on it ever hitting twenty bucks, though, the original is still $30.
Thanks for the info!

I bought the CoD4:MW on a steam sale quite recently for $15, in the last couple weeks.

If they lower MW2 to $30 I'd probably jump on it. Probably be a year or two at least unfortunately. I do have a $10 gift card for gamestop, maybe they will run a sale at $40 and I can use that.

12. Re: Modern Warfare 2 Free Weekend Underway May 7, 2010, 18:42 STRYKER555

They are again grasping at straws. BFBC2 upcoming patch has more excitement than this vain attempt by Activision to trick people.  

11. Re: Modern Warfare 2 Free Weekend Underway May 7, 2010, 16:16 Evil Timmy

Yeah, the last free weekend completely un-sold me on the game. Even with the glut of new players, I spent half the time either waiting to join a game or waiting for that game to migrate to a different host. And while I thought standards for MP were improving, this feels like the early days of CS, where certain weapons are overpowered and ping is absolutely everything. I really think BC2 pulls off this style a lot better, and I prefer the money I spend actually have a chance of reaching the people who made the game. Also, Bobby Kotick can eat all the dicks for making it clear that everyone, from gamers to developers, are filth that should consider themselves privileged to bask in the glow of his radiant magnificence and corporate acumen.  

10. Re: Modern Warfare 2 Free Weekend Underway May 7, 2010, 10:06 joe2tiger

I played through the previous weekend and lost interest in buying this game. I guess it is just me in that I feel too old for the twitch gameplay of the multiplayer.

I miss playing the tactical shooters of old such as the original Ghost Recon 10 years ago. The weapons were so lethal you couldn't survive more than one head shot or a few rounds to the center mass. I also missed the slightly slower pacing where setting up an ambush was rewarding.

Carl Sagan wrote:
Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.

9. Re: Modern Warfare 2 Free Weekend Underway May 7, 2010, 08:41 Dr. D. Schreber

Yes, it's been giving double XP all week. Although a few things don't give double XP like headshot bonuses. Actual XP depends on gametype; in TDM, a kill is worth 100XP (200 this week,) in the objective-based game modes, it's worth half that while you get XP bonuses for helping with the objectives.

Don't count on it ever hitting twenty bucks, though, the original is still $30.

NOT THE BEES! NOT THE BEES THEY'RE IN MY EYES AARRGRHGHGGAFHGHFGHFG!

8. Re: Modern Warfare 2 Free Weekend Underway May 7, 2010, 06:05 Dev

Can anyone who has bought the game before tell if its giving double XP right now? Whats a typical kill score in XP? I'm confused as to how the double XP has been implemented. I'd like to play the trial a bit and get the double XP on free weekend, then in the future when the game drops to $20 buy it and have it ready to go where I left off.  

7. Re: Modern Warfare 2 Free Weekend Underway May 7, 2010, 05:23 KilrathiAce

oh god every weekend seems to be mw2 free weekend nowdays, I will admit its a good tactic to attract those bored teenagers into buying the game and STIMULUS PACKAGES down the road lolz  

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

6. Coop Available? May 7, 2010, 04:01 jdreyer

Does anyone know if coop (Spec Ops) is available to play?  

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

5. Re: Modern Warfare 2 Free Weekend Underway May 7, 2010, 01:45 Sepharo

401xp ?  

4. Re: Modern Warfare 2 Free Weekend Underway May 7, 2010, 01:35 ThatOtherGuy

Do you have to wait months after you purchase the game to get your bonus xp, then get your account canceled before you receive it? (whereupon the bonus xp is distributed to the remaining players).  

3. Re: Modern Warfare 2 Free Weekend Underway May 7, 2010, 01:04 Diabolus in Musica

Here it comes! Wait for it...wait for it...<yawn>.  

2. Re: Modern Warfare 2 Free Weekend Underway May 6, 2010, 23:03 Pete

Thanks for the heads up  
Doin' it Big

1. Re: Modern Warfare 2 Free Weekend Underway May 6, 2010, 22:16 Flipper405

dont care to play this even for free...

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo