Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Evony Anniversary

Subscription-free MMOG Evony celebrates their one-year anniversary by announcing the game has attracted 19 million players since launching in May 2009, and has expanded to 210 servers, after starting on only two (no word on how many of those servers are for their ubiquitous ads). They say: "The recently launched Evony: Age II features new quests involving historical heroes and cities, a redesigned graphical interface, and Facebook Connect integration, providing innovative ways for players to build their own kingdoms, form alliances with friends, conquer enemies and make new friends - all from a simple browser interface."

View
10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

10. Re: Evony Anniversary May 7, 2010, 10:24 Earthworm

By "Play Discreetly" I would assume they mean the oh so super feature that they allow you to change the title of the window so it doesn't say Evony when it is minimized. Of course it still has the Evony Icon.

And pretty much there are no People in the game, women or men, just numbers. Aside from being able to pick your avatar, in which she is an available option. So I suppose if you figure there are a few basement dwelling nerds picking her picture as an avatar, then yes, she is in the game my lord! You should go find her and cyber her up!!! Puke

/*New and stirring things are belittled because if they are not belittled, the humiliating question arises, ``Why then are you not taking part in them?'' -H.G. Wells*/
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

9. Re: Evony Anniversary May 7, 2010, 06:08 Dev

Earthworm wrote on May 6, 2010, 17:38:
I have finally given Evony a try.
Yes, but can you play discreeetely and secretly in private? Like the ads say? And are any of those well endowed women in the game like in the ads?
http://contexts.org/socimages/2009/07/14/evolution-of-evony-video-game-ads/
There's even an ad saying "she is actually in our game my lord"
And what about the one saying that you can drag body parts around to create the ideal woman?

This comment was edited on May 7, 2010, 06:13.

8. Re: Evony Anniversary May 6, 2010, 19:54 Lokust

Every time I see this game I think the voice of the tax collector from Majesty saying "More GOLD your majesty"  

7. Re: Evony Anniversary May 6, 2010, 17:38 Earthworm

I have finally given Evony a try. After a week of playing Age I the one thing it made me think of, was that it was one giant College Project with the theme of "Create the best way to part people from their money in a 'Free' game".

Once I started looking at it that way, the whole thing made much more sense. The lack of certain features that one would expect from an "RTS" or from just a strategy game in itself. Literally the only point of the game is to be bigger than someone else. There is no satisfaction from any of the upgrades, just that guy is bigger than me, I need to be bigger. And That Guy is shoveling $30 or more per month into the game to stay bigger.

Everything about the gave is built to encourage you to spend a little here, or there. Even the "Quests" at the beginning are only there to teach you how useful the tools are, but they are only available after the beginning if you pay for them.

And I sh*t you not, for those that haven't played before, you cannot build any building completely without a specific tool, but you only get 1 at the beginning of the game. You might get one from the daily gift, but it has to be like a 1/1000 chance of getting 1. And if you do fork over the dough they are about $1 per. So you might think, meh a buck ain't that bad, till you realize there are 72 locations to have buildings, non of which can be upgraded completely without one.

Of course you don't know this when you first start. It is quite entertaining to realize how much of it was built just to get you to spend, but once you have played it, you realize that there are significant features that should be there to make a logical, fun game that are missing. They are missing because there was no way to monetize anything about the feature.

Anyway when I did decide to play it I came to Blue's and continually refreshed until I got one of the ads, just in-case it gave Blue something for the click-through and signup.

/*New and stirring things are belittled because if they are not belittled, the humiliating question arises, ``Why then are you not taking part in them?'' -H.G. Wells*/

6. Re: Evony Anniversary May 6, 2010, 15:25 siapnar

I never got past the banner ads to actually try the game. For some reason all I craved after was a sandwich and a nap.  

I have projectile dysfunction.
------------------------------
Playing: Vanishing of Ethan Carter, Call of Juarez: Gunslinger, DiRT 2, Trials Frontier

5. Re: Evony Anniversary May 6, 2010, 15:10 Sleeeeepy

hmm connect my facebook profile to a game run by these people, let me get right on that  

4. Re: Evony Anniversary May 6, 2010, 14:54  cliffski 

It depresses me that sexist, manipulative, irritating shovelware crap like this is such a success.
What idiots click on these ads? and what double idiots gvive these people money?

http://www.positech.co.uk

3. Re: Evony Anniversary May 6, 2010, 12:19 S2M

Play now my lord  
The thickness of your ignorance, it's like a fucking shield that repulses insight.

2. Re: Evony Anniversary May 6, 2010, 10:49 Elf Shot The Food

19 million players? That's one per banner ad.  

1. Re: Evony Anniversary May 6, 2010, 10:41 nin

"Subscription-free MMOG Evony celebrates their one-year anniversary by many new ads featuring scantly clad women and cleavage, both of which have nothing to do with the game."

Fixed!

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo