Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Cecil on Piracy and Economics

MCV has a quote about game piracy from Revolution Software’s Charles Cecil, who is currently contributing to the BBC's upcoming Doctor Who game. "Personally, I think that the level of piracy we have is nature’s way of turning around and saying games are too expensive and the way that they are distributed is not ideal, he tells them. “Yes, we can pressure internet service providers and take any number of anti-piracy measures. But ultimately iTunes has shown that if you make the means of distribution easy and the price compelling, you will build the respect of your audience." In conclusion, he adds: "And while this won’t eradicate piracy completely, it won’t become such a serious issue anymore."

View
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

12. Re: Cecil on Piracy and Economics May 6, 2010, 15:37 Creston

Someone nominate this man for sainthood.

Creston

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: Cecil on Piracy and Economics May 6, 2010, 12:34 ChangWizzle

While what you say is true, that doesn't mean that we as customers have to just accept it and deal. I won't and I know many other that wont. It's to easy to wait for the price to fall than pay a premium. I could care less if they feel their product justifies a price increase over everything else. What they will find is that the sheep will buy into it regardless, but the rest of us will simply wait.  

10. Re: Cecil on Piracy and Economics May 6, 2010, 10:43 Kajetan

LightAssassin wrote on May 6, 2010, 10:35:
Seriously, stop being ignorant and realise games are a business like anything in life.
Who is ignorant? If people do not buy games, because they think that the price is too high ... that is the other side of the business. Supply and demand

I'm not justifying massive profit increases by ripping people off, but asking a fair price for a good product is fine by me.
And who determines the "fairness" of a price tag? Right, the customer. He alone decides, if a product is worth the price the supplier wants. Not the other way around.

9. Re: Cecil on Piracy and Economics May 6, 2010, 10:35 RenownWolf

"Games are overpriced"

I hardly think so, everything else has gone up and yet games have sat a a similar rate. You can still buy a $50us game after almost 20 years, yet you can't buy a brand new car for $5000us (well a decent one).

Games have stayed the same price for a long time, not even keeping up with inflation and instead have used their increased numbers of sales to stay ahead of the game. At some point it will lead to such thin margins it won't be feasible to even make a game as it will cost more than it will make. That is when prices will be driven up.

Well it's even taking place now with Activision and others increasing their prices to $60us. This has everybody crying foul, but it's a fact of life when you have a money system built on inflation as a natural factor. When games are costing more to make, the people making them still need to make money, this is business.

I agree certain things are a bit too far in regards to their pricing, but that's why it's a free market that corrects itself with lots of sales, price drops and competition.

Seriously, stop being ignorant and realise games are a business like anything in life. I'm not justifying massive profit increases by ripping people off, but asking a fair price for a good product is fine by me.

And piracy is ass! Pay for the product you use. Claiming because it's digital is a lame excuse.

http://www.renownwolf.com

8. Re: Cecil on Piracy and Economics May 6, 2010, 06:15 Ventura

making fast and lose with exchange rates.

They can't even use the 'exchange rate' excuse, because prices on the Australian Steam store are also in USD. So you have companies like THQ charging US residents $20USD for Red Faction Guerrilla, while charging us $70USD for the same damn thing.

They get away with it for two reasons; because people don't know it's happening, and because it's still going to be cheaper (after conversion) than our current in-store prices. We've gotten used to having had to pay more for years now, and as it would seem, many of them have gotten used to charging us more, too. Old habits die hard.

This sort of thing is what annoys me so much about the piracy issue, because it seems to be ok for them to fuck the customer, but it's not ok for the customer to fuck them back.

7. Re: Cecil on Piracy and Economics May 6, 2010, 05:14 Arithon

It's one E so it's pronounced Sessil, not Seesall.

On the Steam Vs Boxed issue, most DRM now uses a unique serial (or worse), which means you can never resell the game anyway.

Games are overpriced and the box is now not a box, there is no manual and nothing else of value when you pay your money.
Plus as our Aussie mate points out, Steam and other online retailers are an uneven playing field, making fast and lose with exchange rates. With prices often higher by far than the retail boxed copy.

Cecil is right when he says things must change. Digital distribution needs to be cheaper to reflect the lower costs. Valves 75% off weekends have proven the sales model.

Boxed copies should be BOXED (not some cheap crappy DVD case) and have SOMETHING in the box, preferrably not a DRM that prevent's resale. What is the irony of a "collectors edition" that you cannot resell to a collector?

This comment was edited on May 6, 2010, 05:21.

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

6. Re: Holy Sh!t, someone who makes sense May 6, 2010, 02:46 Kajetan

Jerykk wrote on May 6, 2010, 01:24:
? Both publishers distribute their games on Steam and the other digital distribution services.
Yes, they do ... but often enough for the standard price of a standard retail version, where you get a printed handbook, a DVD (its own backup medium) AND you can resell your game, when you are done with it or it's not that good as you hoped it would be. I cannot resell anything on Steam (or other platforms), forcing me to wait for some sales or until i have enough money to buy a new game, which would happen faster, if i could sell my old games.

Steam (and other platforms) remind me of the first download services the music industry had built. Slow, not very comfortable, very restrictive und too expensive. There is MUCH room for improvements!

5. Re: Holy Sh!t, someone who makes sense May 6, 2010, 01:24 Jerykk

Wake up EA and Ubisoft.

? Both publishers distribute their games on Steam and the other digital distribution services.

4. Re: Holy Sh!t, someone who makes sense May 6, 2010, 00:53 Ventura

With Steam sales, the price is right.

Not if you're coming at Steam with an Australian ip address, it isn't. Read my recent comment in the thread about THQ if you want to know more, but frankly, it's scary the number of publishers that are bumping up their prices for foreign customers over Steam.

In any case, you're right about lower prices being the reason why, but it's not quite so black and white for the rest of us.

3. Holy Sh!t, someone who makes sense May 5, 2010, 22:20 jdreyer

I never pirate games, I always buy them. With Steam sales, the price is right. In fact, I've bought games I'm never going to play b/c the price was so cheap. I didn't think at the time I wouldn't play them, but it's working out that way for a lot of the games I have. But I love having all my games in one place, easily accessible, cheap, etc. etc. Steam (and to a lesser extent D2D and Impulse) are really the iTunes of games and are showing the way.

The other thing is I'm spending more money now that Steam makes it so cheap and easy. Before I could never justify $50 on a game. But $30 for a good one? And $10 for one I'm mildly interested in? And $5 for a quick indie game? Absolutely. These Steam and D2D sales are killing me.

Wake up EA and Ubisoft.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

2. Re: Cecil on Piracy and Economics May 5, 2010, 22:18 rist3903

Word.  

1. Re: Cecil on Piracy and Economics May 5, 2010, 21:26 Cutter

Spot on there Cecil, ol' bean.

BTW is it See-sil or Seh-sil?

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.