Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

New Audigy Drivers

Creative Worldwide Support offers new(ish) version 2.18.0017 drivers for Creative Sound Blaster Audigy series sound cards. The drivers were release on April 8, and are said to fix a number of issues. They also warn these are not to be used for Sound Blaster Audigy LS, Sound Blaster Audigy SE, or Sound Blaster Audigy Value cards. Thanks Ant.

View
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

25. Re: New Audigy Drivers May 4, 2010, 07:20 Muscular Beaver

EAX is the main reason for me for Creative cards.
But since Vista its kinda useless (except youre still playing older games (pre-2007)) because MS removed sound from DX. Too bad though, since it had a lot of potential and sounded awesome. But I guess you cant really expect a good sound system with realistic effects from console ports anyway. So who needs EAX nowadays?

Anyway, I want a new X-Fi driver that fixes the console not starting bug...

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. Re: New Audigy Drivers May 3, 2010, 23:42 PHJF

Onboard audio has come a long way (a lot further than onboard gfx, that's for sure) but it still doesn't compare remotely to a proper add-on card. To a semi audiophile like me (equipped with Sennheiser phones and a 1kw 5.1 system) the difference between Realtek and Auzentech is night and day.

And Auzen driver support is only marginally better than Creative's. I got a Prelude right when they came out and support was slow to arrive. Auzen apologists will blame Creative but the fact remains the box it came in was emblazoned "Auzentech".

Steam + PSN: PHJF

23. Re: New Audigy Drivers May 3, 2010, 20:10 Diabolus in Musica

SpectralMeat wrote on May 3, 2010, 13:18:
I don't like the sound quality comes from the on board audio.

I like this comment. Because it's so 1999. Brings back memories.

22. Re: New Audigy Drivers May 3, 2010, 19:21 DedEye

I tried the onboard sound that came with my asus P7P55D because my Audigy is quite old now (5 years?).

It didn't take me long to put the Audigy back in. No comparison in sound quality. Thankfully Creative did release a basic win7 driver, but ya, their driver support over the years has been terrible. No driver for the game port?

(Hey; my MS Sidewinder FF joystick is like my favourite shirt or pair of sneakers )

I have heard of the Asus cards and was thinking of checking one out. Guess I'll do some reading....

....and time to get a new stick

21. Re: New Audigy Drivers May 3, 2010, 18:51 Burrito of Peace

I've got a lovely set of Tritton 720 5.1 surround headphones that sound beautiful with the Dolby encoding I get off of my on-board audio chipset. It's an IDT which, I think, is a derivative of the Realtek hardware.

Zero noise. Not ever.

20. Re: New Audigy Drivers May 3, 2010, 18:43 Tom

I've tried onboard audio on several machines old and new, and the analog performance varies. Sometimes there is electrical interference noise in the playback, the recording, or both. Sometimes the playback leaks into the recording. Sometimes there are glitches. But in most cases, it's fine.

I'm not a hardware engineer but my guess is that the usage of the onboard audio chip is critical for good analog performance. Maybe the noise comes from poor shielding, poor components that it's hooked up to, bad design that is generating more noise than other designs, etc. All I can say is that sometimes it's there, sometimes it's not.

My recommendation to people these days is to try the onboard audio first. If there's noise or other problems, then get a sound card. Most modern games do all their mixing in software, plus modern Windows does everything in software, so hardware audio features are useless to most people nowadays. It just has to be a dumb pipe, but a clean one.

19. Re: New Audigy Drivers May 3, 2010, 18:31 born2expire

BobBob wrote on May 3, 2010, 13:41:
There really is almost no difference.

plug in even a decent set of headphones and tell me there is no difference.

18. Re: New Audigy Drivers May 3, 2010, 17:04 StaTik

I have never had problems with Realtek onboard sound for desktop use. It seems my Sony amp in the living room dose not like to produce base from the 5.1 out though. I'm not willing to spend more then $100 on a sound solution and that puts me in the middle of Creatives back yard. I can't bring myself to give Creative money since they tried to charge me money for my SBLive 5.1 drivers. Even if they have stopped charging for drivers good luck getting them to produce drivers for this generation of cards on the next Windows OS.  

17. Re: New Audigy Drivers May 3, 2010, 16:01 Overon

The problem of every onboard sound solution I have ever come across is "noise." When a hard drive is working you can hear noises coming over my headphones. When the hard drive is not working, the noise stops. I have even been able to move my mouse and cause a noise and then when I stop moving the mouse the noise stops. I can reproduce it at will 100% of the time. I have experienced similar results on other older onboard sound cards. I know it's noise coming from the sound card because I can leave the headphones on my head and disconnect the cable and the problem goes away. This is how I know it's NOT ambient sounds outside of the PC.

These problems go away as soon as I plug into an addon sound card, any addon sound card.

My understanding is that the motherboard is an electronmagnetically noisy noise environment not good for analog output audio output.

Right now I have realtek 889 chipset. This is supposedly their highest end audio chipset from realtek. And I have a m-audio revolution 7.1 sound card. When I play music I really can't tell the difference on my analog sennheiser hd590 headphones. But when no sound is playing I can definately hear the hum and noise from the realtek outputs and none from the m-audio revolution 7.1 outputs.

I am fairly sure that if I could hook up some headphones or speakers that take digital input, from the digital output from my realtek 889, there would be no noise at all heard. But I have analog input headphones.

This comment was edited on May 3, 2010, 21:07.

16. Re: New Audigy Drivers May 3, 2010, 15:50 Mashiki Amiketo

Really there's only two hardware cards worth mentioning anymore. Xonar and Auzentech(rebraned creative w/actual driver support). Anything else is meh. Realtek has come a lot in the last 8 years and for the average person, it's a good enough sound solution.  
--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

15. Re: New Audigy Drivers May 3, 2010, 15:49 DG

Onboard Realtek audio is pretty good. Well, some of them, they do vary. I have decent Sennheiser bins and am quite impressed. But that is when considering it probably costs like 10c per install.

My old Audigy 1 gave very noticeably better sound than any onboard chip I've tried (though I didn't use Soundstorm). In some games, you get accused of wallhacking because you can hear fairly accurately where people are, which I can't do with this Realtek. I considered it well worth the money, partly because it was good and partly because the card lasted several builds.

And could have kept going. But, I didn't bother with it since I shifted from XP, since HW acceleration is lost and frankly Creative's drivers are fucking awful. I just wasnt even going to hope they could cope with 64bit.

I really can't believe they don't have a proper unified driver. The lightbulb seems to have gone on that drivers should be multi-OS but they're still doing silly things like saying "This download is a driver providing [...] support for Creative Sound Blaster® Audigy® series of audio devices" and then hidden away at the very bottom of the detailed notes is "DO NOT install this driver for Sound Blaster Audigy LS, Sound Blaster Audigy SE, or Sound Blaster Audigy Value".

edit: personally never had trouble with Realtek onboard.

14. Re: New Audigy Drivers May 3, 2010, 15:32 Ant

SpectralMeat wrote on May 3, 2010, 15:01:

I don't know maybe it depends on the speaker/headsets but I can definietly tell the difference between them. I have a newer Audigy card with the front panel which I use for my headset, volume control etc., is right there.

I've been searching for a new sound card online and I can not find anything that gives the same quality or better with the features I am looking for (front panel) for less, or equal. Razer sound card+headset combo seemed like a good alternative but still pretty expensive.

Onboard sound I definitely did not like for games. It was like 3 steps back from the Audigy in audio quality.
Audio quality is very subjective though.
Yeah, I think the quality is noticeable on the cards and speakers/headphones. I remember I was deciding between the M-Audio and Audigy 2 ZS cards. Audigy 2 ZS won over because of its hardware EAX support since I play games.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

13. Re: New Audigy Drivers May 3, 2010, 15:01 SpectralMeat

I don't know maybe it depends on the speaker/headsets but I can definietly tell the difference between them. I have a newer Audigy card with the front panel which I use for my headset, volume control etc., is right there.

I've been searching for a new sound card online and I can not find anything that gives the same quality or better with the features I am looking for (front panel) for less, or equal. Razer sound card+headset combo seemed like a good alternative but still pretty expensive.

Onboard sound I definitely did not like for games. It was like 3 steps back from the Audigy in audio quality.
Audio quality is very subjective though.

Steam: SpectralMeat

12. Re: New Audigy Drivers May 3, 2010, 14:37 Ant

mch wrote on May 3, 2010, 14:16:
Ant wrote on May 3, 2010, 14:10:
Zyrxil wrote on May 3, 2010, 13:01:
"Free" with 99% of mobos, and causes even more problems than Creative cards.
Really? I thought they were better than Creative's?

Personally, I've had trouble with my RealTek onboard audio.

/anecdotal evidence
Interesting. I was thinking of ditching my old Audigy 2 ZS sound card since newer games don't really use EAX and I see no reasons to have them for EAX these days. Older games made sense like old Jedi games.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

11. Re: New Audigy Drivers May 3, 2010, 14:16 mch

Ant wrote on May 3, 2010, 14:10:

Personally, I've had trouble with my RealTek onboard audio.

/anecdotal evidence

PSN: CaseDesignate

10. Re: New Audigy Drivers May 3, 2010, 14:12 Ant

Even on good/high-end speakers?

9. Re: New Audigy Drivers May 3, 2010, 14:10 Ant

8. Re: New Audigy Drivers May 3, 2010, 13:41 BobBob

7. Re: New Audigy Drivers May 3, 2010, 13:41 Mostly_Harmless

If you want something a bit better than on board audio, the Asus Xonar range is the best alternative to Audigy cards for gamers as it is the only non Creative card that has full EAX support (via some sneaky tricks).

I've been very happy with my Xonar DX for the past 12 months, it's miles better than my old Audigy with it's shitty flakey drivers.

6. Re: New Audigy Drivers May 3, 2010, 13:18 SpectralMeat

I don't like the sound quality comes from the on board audio.  

Steam: SpectralMeat

25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo