Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

APB in June/July Subscriptions Details

Realtime Worlds and EA announce release dates and related details for APB (All Points Bulletin), saying the open world action game will arrive in North America on June 29, in mainland Europe on July 1, and in the UK on July 2. They previously announced that the game will not "require" a subscription fee, repeating this as recently as last September, but while the new announcement has word that "players can also earn game time by actually playing the game," it seems undeniable that this is a subscription game from the following:

Gamers can purchase a retail version of APB either in-store or via digital download at standard retail price of SRP $49.99. The game includes 50 hours of action gameplay out of the box plus unlimited time in APB's social districts customizing, socializing and trading in the marketplace. Once the 50-hours are up, players have flexibility: top up their game time from as little as SRP $6.99 for an additional 20 hours, or opt to purchase a 30-day unlimited package for only SRP $9.99 with discounts available for 90 and 180 days. In addition to this flexible payment model, players can also earn game time by actually playing the game. APB provides avenues for accomplished gamers or creators to earn rewards for their creativity and subsidize their ongoing costs with their in-game efforts.

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: APB in June/July Subscriptions Details May 2, 2010, 11:45 Steele Johnson

I like the idea and would like other games to go this route. It allows me to get a good feel of the game prior to paying a monthly fee.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: APB in June/July Subscriptions Details May 1, 2010, 10:53 StingingVelvet

Seems like a good system for an MMO, better than monthly really, but is this game really an MMO? The previews make it sound no more populated in one instance than Battlefield.  

20. Re: APB in June/July Subscriptions Details May 1, 2010, 07:41 ibm

True but looking at the weapons in the shops, the type of missions and the character progression as you level (next to none) it's hard to deduce much else. I hope I'm wrong because it can be fun, it just needs some form of advancement other than looking at you reputation score. Not necessarily magic skills or whatever just some depth to promote a feeling of progression.

Is there any point to having and paying for a persistant online world if nothing ever changes? (even it's inhabitants?)

This comment was edited on May 1, 2010, 07:53.

19. Re: APB in June/July Subscriptions Details May 1, 2010, 07:24 xXBatmanXx

There really is no gameplay depth to this game compared to other mmo's.

Hard to say that from a VERY limited beta that you are describing.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

18. Re: APB in June/July Subscriptions Details May 1, 2010, 07:13 ibm

WyldKat wrote on May 1, 2010, 06:14:
It doesn't seem like a bad pricing model for an MMO.

At it's core you could pay $10/mo instead of $15/mo like most MMOs for unlimited play. Or you could buy "hours" if you are more of a casual gamer. You can also make things in game and apparently sell them for hours, which is pretty cool.

Yeah but fps games like CoD MW2 have more character development than APB, more weapons, better fps gameplay and it's free to play online.

CoD MW 2 is just an example I don't really play it much any more. I've been in the APB beta for a few months, admittedly it's been 2 hours a week for the majority of that time due to the only thing they seem to be testing throughout beta is their log in server and the multiple instance based server code. There really is no gameplay depth to this game compared to other mmo's.

17. Re: APB in June/July Subscriptions Details May 1, 2010, 06:53 Starang

Needs an open beta, from the video footage available the customization looks pretty awesome but the gameplay does not.  

16. Re: APB in June/July Subscriptions Details May 1, 2010, 06:14 WyldKat

It doesn't seem like a bad pricing model for an MMO.

At it's core you could pay $10/mo instead of $15/mo like most MMOs for unlimited play. Or you could buy "hours" if you are more of a casual gamer. You can also make things in game and apparently sell them for hours, which is pretty cool.

15. Re: APB in June/July Subscriptions Details May 1, 2010, 06:09 Jerykk

Meh. I was looking forward to this game until I saw the actual gameplay. Looks like a substandard third-person shooter. The customization is great but not worth a monthly fee.  

14. Re: APB in June/July Subscriptions Details May 1, 2010, 03:33 Sleep

There had better be an open beta, in the closed beta its 4 hours game time a week currently, only 2 hours this weekend. Not enough gameplay to come to a judgement to abandon current mmos and drop cash on this.  

13. Re: APB in June/July Subscriptions Details May 1, 2010, 02:15 spindoctor

Yes it's a proper MMO. Massive persistent world with a cops and robbers theme going for it. I think this 50 hours idea is a good one... as interesting as the game sounds on paper, it actually follows the MMO genre pretty closely. I have a feeling 50 hours will be more than enough for most people around.  
Some of the most miserable and unhappy gamers on the planet are at Bluesnews

12. Re: APB in June/July Subscriptions Details May 1, 2010, 00:01 Cutter

Well I'm sure it'll be F2P sooner than later, client and all. $50 for the client? LOL! Smoke crack much?

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

11. Re: APB in June/July Subscriptions Details Apr 30, 2010, 23:43 Acleacius

1. Yes.
2. Yes.
3. Yes.
4. Don't know, don't care.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

10. Re: APB in June/July Subscriptions Details Apr 30, 2010, 23:01 Kxmode

I'm confused here. Is this an MMO because they're charging MMO prices? Is the world persistent? Is it massive? What do you exactly get for $10 a month?? Confused  

9. Re: APB in June/July Subscriptions Details Apr 30, 2010, 22:54 Lokust

that's an awesome subscription model i wish more games used!  

8. Re: APB in June/July Subscriptions Details Apr 30, 2010, 22:52 Bumpy

Its off my interest list now that its subscription based.  

7. Re: APB in June/July Subscriptions Details Apr 30, 2010, 22:48 The Half Elf

Have you played it DangerDog?  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

6. Re: APB in June/July Subscriptions Details Apr 30, 2010, 22:42 DangerDog

I don't consider the game to be an MMO, the monthly fee isn't justified.  

5. Re: APB in June/July Subscriptions Details Apr 30, 2010, 22:41 xXBatmanXx

I will probably bite. With the possibility of this being GTA4+SR2+something = this....hopefully....  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

4. Re: APB in June/July Subscriptions Details Apr 30, 2010, 22:35 The Half Elf

I believe it's 50 hours of logged in/played time. Not just 'ok you can play the next 2.2 days. And if this is the case that's great.  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

3. Re: APB in June/July Subscriptions Details Apr 30, 2010, 22:19 briktal

Reminds me of something I read about Everquest 2 the other day. I guess they are adding an option where once a month you can pay $5 (I think) and get 3 days of playtime, so you can play for an event weekend (then get hooked enough pay for another month) or something.  

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo