Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Free MechWarrior 4: Mercenaries Released

Mektek.Net now offers the promised MechWarrior 4 Free Release, a 1.7 GB download that is delivered through their MTX content delivery system. The Free Release includes the original mechs and weapons of MechWarrior 4: Mercenaries as well as the Clan and IS Mech Packs and all the Mektek mechs and weapons, and various other improvements. Word on some additional enhancements follows.

• Clan and IS Mech Pack mechs available in campaign
  • Mektek mechs and weapons added to campaigns
  • Zonematch has been replaced with MekMatch in all visible text and is the one and only mech-matching service
  • 5 new MekMatch servers to host and play on! You can change servers whenever you like. Each server has a dedicated community to cater to
    • League Server
    • New Players
    • Australia
    • Europe
    • North America
  • "Connect" and "Host" default to the last server chosen

View
55 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

55. Re: Free MechWarrior 4: Mercenaries Released Jun 14, 2010, 05:02 tiborka

MekTek is the biggest crap on this planet  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

54. Re: Free MechWarrior 4: Mercenaries Released May 2, 2010, 12:47 Hump

you'd think Jordan Weisman, a multi-millionaire, would throw these guys a few bucks to get this thing off the ground.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

53. Torrent May 2, 2010, 03:11 jdreyer

Okay, after some poking around, I found the torrent on my hard drive already:

C:\Program Files\mektek.net\MTX\temp\games\torrents

If you have already downloaded MTX and got stuck or frozen, you might try loading the torrent here.

The problem is that so far I've only found six seeds, but at least it's moving. If you were never able to get MTX running in the first place, let me know and I'll post the torrent somewhere accessible, but all the people who got frozen out might go looking for it and running it in utorrent or whatever your favorite torrent client is (I use Vuze).

UPDATE: up to 40 seeds now and downloading at 350 kbps. ETA 1.5 hours.

This comment was edited on May 2, 2010, 03:40.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

52. Re: Free MechWarrior 4: Mercenaries Released May 2, 2010, 00:57 Rigs

If someone has already downloaded the torrent file, then they can post it a file front or megaupload or google or somewhere. Then we could access the torrent.

I swore I just said that about 10 posts ago...

Yes, I'm complaining about something you get for free on the internet. Ok, that comment is like 'Well, if they were giving out free coffee and then you found out someone pissed in the pot, are you going to complain about it or just be glad you got something wet to drink for free?'...But I'm not jumping into that discussion - it goes nowhere. I just think if you're gonna hype the crap out of something and get us gamers all salivating at the thing, then just be sure you're ready to do what you said you would. They commented here a few weeks ago that they were trying to get all the little bugs out so they were ready for the day of release. Did no one stop and think that if their project was more popular than they thought, they would have a backup plan if the servers decided to commit suicide under the load? Like by throwing the torrent up on some torrent sites? They went thru the trouble to make this really crappy app to download a torrent file when they could have eased their anxiety and stress by having us gamers use the tried and proven methods of downloading torrents already, like u Torrent or Bittorrent...
I know these guys meant well and I'm thankful for the release, just like everyone else, and I hate to hammer on them, but it could have been handled so much better... *shrugs*

=-Rigs-=

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'

51. Re: Free MechWarrior 4: Mercenaries Released May 1, 2010, 20:55 jdreyer

We don't HAVE to get the torrent file from them. If someone has already downloaded the torrent file, then they can post it a file front or megaupload or google or somewhere. Then we could access the torrent.

Can someone please post it on a mirror?

50. Re: Free MechWarrior 4: Mercenaries Released May 1, 2010, 20:18 Hump

just did a bit of checking.

The issue isn't MTX itself, its that the server supporting the system got hammered by 100k requests. They are now trying to set up something that will handle the demand.

Ya'll need to remember that these guys aren't getting paid a dime for any of this so be patient.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

49. Re: Free MechWarrior 4: Mercenaries Released May 1, 2010, 18:37 jdreyer

The torrent is still timing out. Can someone who has it post it somewhere please?  

48. Re: Free MechWarrior 4: Mercenaries Released May 1, 2010, 18:32 Cthulhu

Drezden wrote on May 1, 2010, 17:21:
You know whats awesome, is when it asks me for the Mercenaries disc 2.
I thought this was supposed to be a stand alone free release of Mercenaries.
It works just fine under Win 7 ultimate and I dont have the disks for the game....so that means you likely had an issue during install...

Uninstall and reinstall it... if it's a corrupted download, get the torrent file from several posts in this thread and re-download it and make sure you are running the autoconfig_MERCS.exe before trying to play.. I'm pretty sure that the no-CD patch is installed from there, OR you can go to gamecopyworld.com and get something from there if you need to.

"Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn"
- Cthulhu fhtagn: 47°9'S, 126°43'W Cthulhu

47. Re: Free MechWarrior 4: Mercenaries Released May 1, 2010, 17:21 Trevellian

You know whats awesome, is when it asks me for the Mercenaries disc 2.
I thought this was supposed to be a stand alone free release of Mercenaries. Like I have any clue where the hell my Merc discs are when I haven't played it in years.

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2/Tahyang in ArcheAge

46. Re: Free MechWarrior 4: Mercenaries Released May 1, 2010, 17:05 jdreyer

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Apr 30, 2010, 16:14:
Raw torrent link

Just gotta fire up utorrent now.

When I click on the torrent to download, I'm getting "could not connect to www.mektek.net" error. Their site must be overwhelmed with requests.

Can someone who already downloaded it post the torrent somewhere else, like megashare or google or something?

45. Re: Free MechWarrior 4: Mercenaries Released May 1, 2010, 16:04 Cthulhu

I've never understood the need for some people to complain on the internet about something that they've gotten for free on the internet...

{shrugs}

44. Re: Free MechWarrior 4: Mercenaries Released May 1, 2010, 11:54 Telesis

Why would anyone release such a buggy slow POS like MTX?? This thing takes forever to load and when it does load it doesn't work! Just post a torrent or a DL link, wtf.  

43. Re: Free MechWarrior 4: Mercenaries Released May 1, 2010, 10:11 UttiniDaKilrJawa

was hoping to get this today...guess I gotta wait til they unbork the delivery system.  

42. Re: Free MechWarrior 4: Mercenaries Released May 1, 2010, 09:01 Prez

Yep - changing the file to a zip is the way to go. Worked for me when I tried it. The torrent was a tad slow, but I got it overnight.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

41. Re: Free MechWarrior 4: Mercenaries Released May 1, 2010, 07:26 Kxmode

OpenDNS reports...

Hmm, www.mektek.net isn't loading right now.

The computers that run www.mektek.net are having some trouble. Usually this is just a temporary problem, so you might want to try again in a few minutes.

Want more detail? See which nameservers are failing.

Nameserver trace for www.mektek.net:

* Looking for who is responsible for root zone and followed e.root-servers.net.
* Looking for who is responsible for net and followed g.gtld-servers.net.
* Looking for who is responsible for mektek.net and followed ns1.saltwaves.com.

Nameservers for www.mektek.net:

* ns1.saltwaves.com returned (SERVFAIL)
* ns2.saltwaves.com returned (SERVFAIL)

This clearly shows their delivery system failed hard. It would have been more cost effective to upload the file to all the various file transfer sites and then let the gamer pick the best one!

They should have gone with a better hosting provider like Akamai and MediaTemple. Who in the world is Saltwaves?

This comment was edited on May 1, 2010, 07:32.

40. Re: Free MechWarrior 4: Mercenaries Released May 1, 2010, 07:03 Cthulhu

JD wrote on Apr 30, 2010, 23:05:
Download the torrent, download mechwarrior4mercenaries.all.to.51.03.01.0017.mtx , rename the file extension from *.mtx to .zip, and then unzip it to a subdirectory. Finally run base\MW4Mercs.exe to play the game.
I guess some of the people posting here can't read.... I followed these steps and the game works perfectly...

It looks almost EXACTLY like the Virtual World simulator I used to play on the weekends... Good times!

39. Re: Free MechWarrior 4: Mercenaries Released May 1, 2010, 03:30 Rigs

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on May 1, 2010, 00:04:
They should just throw up a torrent and be done with it. It doesn't need to be anywhere near this much trouble.

The torrent's been posted twice in this thread, once by me on the first page and once by JD on the second page.

No see, THEY should throw up a torrent...as at the start of this whole mess, on the official site...

=-Rigs-=

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'

38. Re: Free MechWarrior 4: Mercenaries Released May 1, 2010, 02:31 Mashiki Amiketo

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on May 1, 2010, 00:04:
They should just throw up a torrent and be done with it. It doesn't need to be anywhere near this much trouble.
The torrent's been posted twice in this thread, once by me on the first page and once by JD on the second page.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

37. Re: Free MechWarrior 4: Mercenaries Released May 1, 2010, 01:44 Rigs

Here's your sign!

I'll give you an f'in' sign...try this...

IF these guys had any forward thinking sense and had just looked thru their release-induced haze ("ah, man, we're gonna be famous internet celebrities!"), they would have thought, 'Oh, if I release this as a torrent, then everyone downloading the file will help the next one that starts a download' and instead of CRASHING the servers, the multitudes of people would have helped each other to get amazing download speeds just by the virtues of downloading a torrent file...hey, what a concept, eh?...

I don't have to explain what really happened...you just got honored with my ignore button for your virtual stupidity...

=-Rigs-=

36. Re: Free MechWarrior 4: Mercenaries Released May 1, 2010, 00:04 Wowbagger_TIP

They aren't complaining because it's slow. More like because the stupid downloader app is retarded and buggy. They should just throw up a torrent and be done with it. It doesn't need to be anywhere near this much trouble.  

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

55 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo