Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Activision Signs Bungie for 10 Years

This press release has the surprising news that Bungie and Activision have signed a 10-year deal for an exclusive, worldwide partnership, saying "The groundbreaking alliance will provide Bungie its first such partnership since splitting off from Microsoft in 2007, significantly broadening its global reach by providing the resources and support to develop, distribute and release games worldwide on multiple platforms and devices." Word is: "Under the terms of the agreement, Activision will have exclusive, worldwide rights to publish and distribute all future Bungie games based on the new intellectual property on multiple platforms and devices. Bungie remains an independent company and will continue to own their intellectual property. Additional terms of the agreement were not disclosed." Microsoft acquired Bungie back in 2000, but in 2007 a plan was announced to return the independence of the Halo developer, though at the time is was stated that Microsoft Game Studios, which owns the Halo IP, would retain an equity share in the company. "We chose to partner with Activision on our next IP because of their global reach, multi-platform experience and marketing expertise," said Harold Ryan, President of Bungie. "From working together over the past nine months on this agreement, it is clear that Activision supports our commitment to giving our fans the best possible gaming experiences."

View
44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

44. Re: Activision Signs Bungie for 10 Years Apr 30, 2010, 04:25 Dev

ldonyo wrote on Apr 29, 2010, 21:21:
Maybe Activision will ask Bungie to do MW3 since most of Infinity Ward has fled the sinking ship.

LOL I bet you are right. After they finish reach, activision will ask them to do MW3. Maybe thats why bungie finalized the deal even after the whole IW mess started going down.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

43. Re: Activision Signs Bungie for 10 Years Apr 30, 2010, 03:54 zirik

NKD wrote on Apr 30, 2010, 00:33:
OldScho0l wrote on Apr 29, 2010, 20:03:
zirik wrote on Apr 29, 2010, 10:13:
bungie is like the whore of the gaming industry. they will sell their soul to anyone for a price.

/Agreed

They lost me when they sold out to MS and ditched the PC community.

What did they ever do for the PC community? They made some Mac games and then made console games.

after the success of marathon on the mac platform bungie started cross platform development of subsequent games like oni, myth and what started out as a pc/mac game called halo. the original E3 preview for halo was running on a pc or a mac if i remember correctly.

42. Re: Activision Signs Bungie for 10 Years Apr 30, 2010, 00:33 NKD

OldScho0l wrote on Apr 29, 2010, 20:03:
bungie is like the whore of the gaming industry. they will sell their soul to anyone for a price.

/Agreed

What did they ever do for the PC community? They made some Mac games and then made console games.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

41. Re: Activision Signs Bungie for 10 Years Apr 29, 2010, 23:34 Longswd

Activision Signs Bungie for 10 Years

Oh no no no....when you sign with the Debbil it's for eternity

I don't always drink carbonated Mexican rat piss, but when I do, I prefer Dos Equis.

40. Re: Activision Signs Bungie for 10 Years Apr 29, 2010, 22:35 Overon

Anyone like activision?  

39. Re: Activision Signs Bungie for 10 Years Apr 29, 2010, 21:21 ldonyo

Maybe Activision will ask Bungie to do MW3 since most of Infinity Ward has fled the sinking ship.  

38. Re: Activision Signs Bungie for 10 Years Apr 29, 2010, 20:51 Beamer

Nothing is guaranteed. There is far more than a handful of games from successful developers that have failed and in big ways.

Did you choose to ignore the second half of that sentence, then?

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

37. Re: Activision Signs Bungie for 10 Years Apr 29, 2010, 20:03 OldScho0l

/Agreed

36. Re: Activision Signs Bungie for 10 Years Apr 29, 2010, 17:56 Krovven

and anyone would have paid a significant amount of money for the right to distribute their games.

Well obviously not, seeing as when Bungie first split from MS, it was also stated that MS was still going to continue publishing Bungies games (Google it yourself)...which obviously with this deal, that is no longer the case.

It's guaranteed money

Nothing is guaranteed. There is far more than a handful of games from successful developers that have failed and in big ways.

35. Re: Activision Signs Bungie for 10 Years Apr 29, 2010, 17:54 entr0py

All the more reason for them to finally get over the Halo franchise. Really, the story, setting and aliens are not all that interesting. And it feels like it's all just grown more lame and stagnant since the first game. I think it's really the quality of the games and the developer that have created a following, they could easily recreate that success with a new franchise.

34. Re: Activision Signs Bungie for 10 Years Apr 29, 2010, 17:42 Beamer

Where did you read that Activision won't finance Bungie's games? Just because you don't own a developer doesn't mean you don't finance them when you're publishing their games.

Because Bungie is owning the IP. That means there may be some financing, but it isn't a financing deal.

Bungie is huge. And powerful.
They would NOT sign a partnership with someone that could take advantage of them. Not for 10 years.

What it comes down to is Bungie could have gone to anyone, and anyone would have paid a significant amount of money for the right to distribute their games. It's guaranteed money, or as close to it as you get in this industry. You know damn well Microsoft was showering them to keep the makers of Halo Xbox exclusive.

Bungie went with the sweetest deal, and you can guarantee that deal is extremely favorable to them. I'd be surprised if Activision even has much room to complain about release dates. 10 years, more likely than not a guarantee of at least X games, and everything else is in Bungie's court.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

33. Re: Activision Signs Bungie for 10 Years Apr 29, 2010, 17:27 Krovven

First, Halo was to be Mac first, later announced being developed for PC too. Then MS bought them and it became Xbox exclusive.

Second, Bungie has been split from MS for 2 and a half years now. It's pretty likely they have funded development themselves on whatever they have been working on for over 2 years.

The press release specifically states that Bungie continues to own it's own IP and will remain independent. Reading any further into it is just being dumb. It's a publishing and distribution deal...at least for their current project.

If their upcoming game bombs, they could very likely end up looking for Activision to fund their next project(s)...but it sounds like their current one is self-funded.

Also to note...Activision is a publicly traded company. They would have to clearly announce if they were financing Bungies project(s).

32. Re: Activision Signs Bungie for 10 Years Apr 29, 2010, 16:53 zirik

Blue wrote on Apr 29, 2010, 12:36:
^Drag0n^ wrote on Apr 29, 2010, 12:28:
Tumbler wrote on Apr 29, 2010, 12:06:
Will be interesting to see what they come up with. Bungie used to make outstanding PC games before Halo...but that was a LONG LONG LONG time ago in an industry far far away... (from where we are today)
Actually, those were Mac games (Marathon). PC ports came later, but I believe that was at or near the time Quake came out which made it seem a little...2D.

Someone jump in here and tell me if my timing is off (I know you will ).

^D^

That is indeed how it happened. Marathon and Marathon 2 were both originally Mac games... they preceded Quake, but were far more technically advanced than DOOM.

the marathon series came out way before quake. i remember the main selling point for marathon was that it had multiplayer online (LAN then later via IPX) gaming and the characters can look up/down and jump over gaps (auto if youre running). the control scheme also allowed you to use mouse aim and WASD. it was fun to play it at work because our admin had no way of blocking or seeing the appletalk traffic at that time.

31. Re: Activision Signs Bungie for 10 Years Apr 29, 2010, 16:33 Flatline

Darks wrote on Apr 29, 2010, 12:19:
As for M$ owning Bungie, that was after they had announced Halo for the PC. Halo was always mean for the PC first.

Dude, you do realize that the first official Halo film clip was introduced by Steve Jobs, and it was going to be exclusive for the Mac right?

30. Re: Activision Signs Bungie for 10 Years Apr 29, 2010, 15:01 Rhett

I never liked Halo anyway.

Buhbye Bungie!

29. Re: Activision Signs Bungie for 10 Years Apr 29, 2010, 14:59 Cutter

10 years with Activision? That's not a contract, that's serving a sentence. Of course, on the up side it counts as time served in hell.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

28. Re: Activision Signs Bungie for 10 Years Apr 29, 2010, 14:54 Dev

MS are morons for not throwing a bigger pile of money at bungie (look at all the cash they've taken in from halo franchise).

Bungie are idiots for sealing the deal with activision, given all the craziness to come out of them over the IW stuff. They should have AT THE LEAST, delayed the deal as soon as that started to happen. Let it take 12 months instead of 9 months for instance. Good move, signing up with a publisher like that Bungie.

Also, just because this isn't an ownership deal, doesn't mean that activision can't screw them over hard. Given what the IW scandal has seemed to show about activision as a company and thier attitudes towards developers, it seems crazy to me that someone like this would sign a deal AFTER the IW thing without a lot of hard thought.

This comment was edited on Apr 29, 2010, 14:59.

27. Re: Activision Signs Bungie for 10 Years Apr 29, 2010, 14:21 loomy

even though it sounds crazy on the surface (10 years), you have to assume bungie got the better of this deal given how they were the only developer shrewd enough to do a deal like the one they did with microsoft in 2000.  

26. Re: Activision Signs Bungie for 10 Years Apr 29, 2010, 14:16 MMORPGHoD

Keith wrote on Apr 29, 2010, 10:48:
Come on, Myth 4!

Last I knew the Myth IP rights were sold to Take-Two Interactive. Bungie has really been Halo Inc. for like the last 9 years. I don't have much hope in their next IP, whatever it is.

25. Re: Activision Signs Bungie for 10 Years Apr 29, 2010, 14:05 the_culture

Where did you read that Activision won't finance Bungie's games? Just because you don't own a developer doesn't mean you don't finance them when you're publishing their games.

I thought if you were a dev that wasn't owned by a publisher, but were financed by them, you were a third-party developer. But if you finance your own games and just need a pub to publish them, then you're independent?

Bungie remains an independent company and will continue to own their intellectual property.

Is this deal more akin to what Valve did with EA?

44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo