Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

New Guild Wars 2 Details [Updated]

The Guild Wars 2 Website has two new articles written by Eric Flannum, Lead Designer on ArenaNet's upcoming MMORPG. One article introduces the Elementalist, offering details on the character, a batch of new screenshots, and a brief movie trailer showing some elemental skills in action (recalling Richard Pryor's point that people get out of your way when you're on fire). The other piece is a write up of skills in the game, describing the role of skills in the game, outlining their skill system, and touching on the inclusion of "elite skills." Update: There's a Guild Wars 2 interview on MMORPG.COM where lead designer Eric Flannum answers questions about the game.

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: New Guild Wars 2 Details [Updated] Apr 29, 2010, 10:02 RenownWolf

Rappelz, Return of Warrior, Tales of Fantasy, Nida Online, Turf Battles and it goes on and on.

Really a lot of them look alike, hence the asian comment. Then again, there are lots of anime ones too.

http://www.renownwolf.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: New Guild Wars 2 Details Apr 29, 2010, 03:51 BobBob

It would be nice to see 'real jumping' added to the game.  

20. Re: New Guild Wars 2 Details [Updated] Apr 29, 2010, 00:44 El Pit

LightAssasin - which MMOs do you mean? The other "Asian looking" MMOs DO look like manga: huge, oversized eyes, incredibly large boobies, weapons bigger than people, weird haircuts, etc.

And Guild Wars just does not look like that.

Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

19. Re: New Guild Wars 2 Details [Updated] Apr 29, 2010, 00:37 RenownWolf

Eh? He never said anything about anime or manga.... he said asian.

Look at a lot of the Free to play asian mmos around and you'll see they have a similar style in the art department. While something like allods online looks more like wow.

They don't look asian like the characters or the building, but the art direction is similar to asian mmos.... simple really.

http://www.renownwolf.com

18. Re: New Guild Wars 2 Details [Updated] Apr 28, 2010, 23:47 El Pit

Cutter, you're absolutely wrong. I hate everything "anime", and that's why I like "Guild Wars": It just does not look like "manga" at all. It looks western. And that's why I love its style.

Never liked the graphics of "WoW", though. To me, "WoW" looks much more manga and anime than "Guild Wars".

Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

17. Re: New Guild Wars 2 Details Apr 28, 2010, 22:30 Talisorn

Warskull wrote on Apr 28, 2010, 21:23:
Cutter wrote on Apr 28, 2010, 16:44:
The visuals definitely have that Korean/Japanese feel to it. So, no, I won't be giving it another look. You knock yourself out though, sport.

No they don't, its a game made by a company in Seattle. Its about as Asian looking as World of Warcraft.

Errr ... just because it's not made in Asia, doesn't mean the art style doesn't appear Asian or is not isn't Asian in influence.

16. Re: New Guild Wars 2 Details Apr 28, 2010, 21:23 Warskull

Cutter wrote on Apr 28, 2010, 16:44:
The visuals definitely have that Korean/Japanese feel to it. So, no, I won't be giving it another look. You knock yourself out though, sport.

No they don't, its a game made by a company in Seattle. Its about as Asian looking as World of Warcraft.

15. Re: New Guild Wars 2 Details [Updated] Apr 28, 2010, 20:12 Nate

Wow those 5 combat videos are tasty. The voice acting sounded good but I hope they don't play that frequently.

Stopped playing the original GW because the combat was lacking. These videos show they specifically remedied that.

14. Re: New Guild Wars 2 Details [Updated] Apr 28, 2010, 19:21 zee

I like GW1, but you are right: GW1 is more a multiplayer RPG than an MMO. Things are on rails, some explorable areas have a little bit more of freedom but not too much. Missions are mostly lineal (I guess so it doesn't mess up the scripts). Interface and chat are not too bad; I have played a couple of other MMOs but not WOW so I can't compare to it. Crafting is almost non-existent. Skills are exclusively combat oriented: there are no skills to pick locks, sneak past enemies, detect or disarm traps, climb, jump, swim, etc., the D&D kind.  

13. Re: New Guild Wars 2 Details [Updated] Apr 28, 2010, 19:03 ColoradoHoudini

I have to agree.. GW1 was NOT an MMO. I had a dickens (language, please!) of a time grouping up with friends in the same area.
I also hated how the game was on rails, a pretty background.. walk to it? No, can't.

also, and i will get flamed for this for sure.. but the interface was not as smooth and simple as WoW's. the chat wasn't the crafting wasn't even close..
I really hope that in GW2, they take what really works well in WoW and straight up steal it.

Be gentle!

12. Re: New Guild Wars 2 Details [Updated] Apr 28, 2010, 18:34 Talisorn

Personally I hated Guild Wars. I was not an MMO, regardless of what their bosses said. It was a multiplayer game with 3d visual lobbies.

Maybe GW2 will be different. But right now, I'm guarded on it.

11. Re: New Guild Wars 2 Details [Updated] Apr 28, 2010, 18:18 Alamar

Nothing wrong with Cutter's opinion... I didn't get the same impression, but I have hardly looked at it (only looked at the Elementalist videos, of which I was impressed with the quality, which means just about nothing... : )...

I didn't much care for GW... Regretted the purchase just about immediately and the big reason, as I see is going to be the same problem/limitation in GW2 is the lack of variety in abilities on a 'mission'...

I admit my ignorance... I played the original, long ago, but reading that skills page turns me off... Of course, an easy fix is letting you change your skills frequently, but I don't recall that being an option when I played.

The irony of course, is that I enjoy WoW, and when you really get down to it, raiding, or questing, you use like 3 abilities (for any class, not just arcane mages). Those 3 are different raiding, on boss fights, or questing (single vs AOE too), but I'm not limited to using my AOE 'layout' when doing single target stuff...

I will keep my eyes open, and if there's a trial I'm almost guaranteed to get it : )

10. Re: New Guild Wars 2 Details Apr 28, 2010, 17:56 Uno

Cutter is clearly xenophobic. Guildwars was the true spiritual successor to Diablo.  

9. Re: New Guild Wars 2 Details Apr 28, 2010, 16:53 nin

Cutter, ArenaNet was founded by ex-Blizzard folk.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

8. Re: New Guild Wars 2 Details Apr 28, 2010, 16:44 Cutter

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

7. Re: New Guild Wars 2 Details Apr 28, 2010, 15:44 justice7

stoked for this game, love that they're staying without monthly fees! This suddenly becomes a must buy!  

6. Re: New Guild Wars 2 Details Apr 28, 2010, 15:37 nullability

Guild Wars isn't an "asian game." It's developed by ArenaNet, which is based in Bellevue, Washington. Its publisher (NCSoft) is based in Korea, but the game itself is handled by its American division. It really doesn't have much in common with Korean or Japanese RPGs at all. Maybe you should give it another look.  

5. Re: New Guild Wars 2 Details Apr 28, 2010, 15:35 Uno

I loved GuildWars but none of its expacs.  

4. Re: New Guild Wars 2 Details Apr 28, 2010, 14:27 Wolfox

I loved the first one, so I'm excited about Guild Wars 2. I hope it's released soon enough.  

3. Re: New Guild Wars 2 Details Apr 28, 2010, 14:24 Cutter

Meh, never cared for GW and after looking at that vid the same applies here. I just can't get into those asian games.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo