Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Activision Publishing Boss Quits

GamesIndustry.biz (registration required) has word that Mike Griffith has resigned his posts as CEO and president of Activision Publishing, a subsidiary of Activision Blizzard. The resignation is effective as of April 23, though he continues as vice-chairman of Activision Blizzard on a 12-month rolling contract. Reasons for the move are not supplied.

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Re: Activision Publishing Boss Quits Apr 29, 2010, 10:45 Beamer

Suits are overpaid agree with that 100%

And I entirely disagree.

He just resigned from his position as CEO and President of Publishing, he's still with the company probably getting paid shit loads and all kinds of allowances.

Very often forced resignations come with such things.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: Activision Publishing Boss Quits Apr 29, 2010, 09:05 aesir05

He just resigned from his position as CEO and President of Publishing, he's still with the company probably getting paid shit loads and all kinds of allowances.

Suits are overpaid agree with that 100%
If they actually did something and not fuck people over it would be worth the extra $ they get paid, but in the gaming industry they have to look at every developer, programmer and artist as more than a number because their experience and willingness to work will make or break a company not like P&G where R&D designs something or they buy an idea and the process workers take over, you can get anyone to work in a factory but not as a game dev of any kind.

Most of them bring their experiences in management from other industries which can mean didly squat if they cannot "think outside the box" and adapt. I'm pretty sure Blizzard doesn't think of anyone working for them as a number.

17. Re: Activision Publishing Boss Quits Apr 29, 2010, 00:21 Beamer

Actually, as head of Activision Publishing, he's the one doing the day-to-day decisions, not Kotick.

He also had a clause in his contract that if he hadn't been paid 20 million during his time in Activision by May 15, 2010 they'd give him the difference.

I don't think this was related. For one, only a blind idiot wouldn't have seen all the repricussions from the firing. We all mentioned it when it first popped up. So none of this is unexpected. For another, they'd want someone that had been in charge to work the aftermath. And, considering he was a high up at P&G, he's also in high demand and can likely be hired anywhere.

But he's young, and typically you're wooed elsewhere before leaving.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

16. Re: Activision Publishing Boss Quits Apr 28, 2010, 19:24 Talisorn

Dev wrote on Apr 28, 2010, 18:44:
No, not everyone is rotten there. But think about it ... <snip> ...

Another possibility is that the guys above him were looking for a scapegoat.

All in all it just shows that there's something rotten in activision, regardless of if he was unjustly let go, or if he was involved.

Sure. I agree, but none of that really goers to explain how the head of "publishing" is responsible for what happened to IW. I admit I don't understand Activision's organisation structure, but it seems that his position would be reasonably divorced from that. Enlighten me.

15. Re: IW Fallout? Apr 28, 2010, 19:21 Golwar

Hehe, I just imagine a simple fart from an Activision guy and the most likely actual reaction by any witness:
"See, that just happened because of IW, didn't it? Activision is obviously doomed I say, doooooomed"

14. Re: IW Fallout? Apr 28, 2010, 18:49 Longswd

When the rats leave a sinking ship, the cat has no choice but to follow.  
I don't always drink carbonated Mexican rat piss, but when I do, I prefer Dos Equis.

13. Re: Activision Publishing Boss Quits Apr 28, 2010, 18:44 Dev

Talisorn wrote on Apr 28, 2010, 18:29:
Hang on a sec. So he is head of "Activision Publishing". Would he actually have had anything to do with the Infinity Ward debacle? Giving the guy the benefit of the doubt (which I know is something alien to a lot of the 'Blues Crew'), could it be that he was also getting jack of his bosses shenanigans and quit?

Just be because you don't like an organisation's practices, it doesn't follow that EVERYBODY in the organisation is rotten.
No, not everyone is rotten there. But think about it, do you think that this stuff with IW happened without the approval of some of the higher ups there? A random middle managment isn't going to have the power to fire the heads of a studio that just made them a $1+ billion moneymaker game. And how about all that withholding the promised royalties and bonuses stuff? That has to come from high up too, and obviously the guys at the very top approve as well because otherwise they would have stepped in and fixed things when this started getting into the papers (if it was a VP out of control for instance). I bet all the IW guys would have agreed to settle for less than the promised bonuses, as long as they got a significant portion, then they wouldn't have had to take this to court.

So given that logically this is done and approved at high levels in activision (and probably the highest), that kinda attitude and nasty environment usually permeates a company. They are after all just following the leaders. Stuff rolls downhill afterall.

Now, about the publishing, he could have very well had a lot to do with this. What's IW after all? A developer studio (albeit internal) that gets thier own games published by activision. If the guy only handles external publishing, perhaps he had nothing to do with it. But if he handles all the publishing, he was probably hip deep in digging a bigger hole and making this debacle bigger.

Another possibility is that the guys above him were looking for a scapegoat.

All in all it just shows that there's something rotten in activision, regardless of if he was unjustly let go, or if he was involved.

12. Re: Activision Publishing Boss Quits Apr 28, 2010, 18:29 Talisorn

Hang on a sec. So he is head of "Activision Publishing". Would he actually have had anything to do with the Infinity Ward debacle? Giving the guy the benefit of the doubt (which I know is something alien to a lot of the 'Blues Crew'), could it be that he was also getting jack of his bosses shenanigans and quit?

Just be because you don't like an organisation's practices, it doesn't follow that EVERYBODY in the organisation is rotten.

11. Re: Activision Publishing Boss Quits Apr 28, 2010, 16:10 MMORPGHoD

Opps.. he left. That must mean no bonus for him either, heh.  

10. Re: Activision Publishing Boss Quits Apr 28, 2010, 16:04 Techie714

Best gaming story of 2010 so far!  

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

9. Re: Activision Publishing Boss Quits Apr 28, 2010, 15:21 Luther

You have been following the great Infinity Ward/Actilizard soap opera, right? It's great! No need to play games for entertainment, just follow this.  

8. Re: Activision Publishing Boss Quits Apr 28, 2010, 14:51 Sepharo

Are you guys reading something else?

I'm trying but I can't seem to just make stuff up to fill in the blanks.

7. Re: Activision Publishing Boss Quits Apr 28, 2010, 13:53 xXBatmanXx

So he quit in lieu of being fired?

I doubt he is hurting.
Suits all make 10x more than they are worth.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

6. Re: Activision Publishing Boss Quits Apr 28, 2010, 13:22 Dev

"whoops sorry guys, I thought I could screw IW and keep a few more million out of the over $1 billion that came in from MW2. After all, we have lots of highly paid lawyers and they should have caved. I know I didn't think about the future quality of MW games, I mean heck we can just hire guys straight out of college to do this kinda stuff in that dedicated Call of Duty unit we setup right after the firings, people will buy anything, we don't need talent. Plus I woulda gotten a nice fat bonus check.

What? You want me to resign? I thought you guys would understand though!"

5. Re: Activision Publishing Boss Quits Apr 28, 2010, 12:35 Kxmode

Griffith: This is a story called Black Snake Moan. In it Christina Ricci is all tied up...
Random BOD: I'm already bored and confused.
Another Random BOD: Yeah. Isn't there another story you could tell us about? How about 'Infinity Wars'?
Griffith: *Laugh* There might be. *Laughs some more* There just might be...

This comment was edited on Apr 28, 2010, 13:02.

4. Re: Activision Publishing Boss Quits Apr 28, 2010, 10:47 Techie714

It's like the Mafia, each guy is getting taken out....A house of cards?  

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

3. Re: IW Fallout? Apr 28, 2010, 10:11 InBlack

...and heads will roll!!! Well well well, it looks like we "the depraved, debauched blues-news crew" were in the right after all. Activision made some really bad errors with IW.

Either Griffith is a fall guy or he wants out of a tarnished company while he still can. Activision has to distance itself from blame if they want to beat the lawsuit, I predict a statement in the near future where they blame a few "key" people who with-held IW bonuses on their own initiative...

I have a nifty blue line!

2. Re: IW Fallout? Apr 28, 2010, 09:33 nin

na na na na...

NA NA NA NA...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

1. IW Fallout? Apr 28, 2010, 09:28 Ravenrex

Infinity Ward Fallout?  

"Any sufficiently advanced
technology is indistinguishable
from magic."