Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

ResumePlay - The Life and Death of Stealth Action. Thanks Ant via Digg.
Stealth needed a change. Not even Agent 47 could stem the tide. Then in 2007, Ubisoft changed the game and delivered a game in which the sneaking part was the fun part. Assassinís Creed ushered in a new era of stealth action. An era in which the player character was not simply an awful shot with an underpowered gun. In retrospect, I feel that the major reason that stealth action saw the decline that it did was because players were forced into the shadows out of weakness instead of having the shadows (and as with AC, rooftops) be a source of power. Why should it take super mega soldier Sam Fisher five bullets to shoot out one light?

Techgage - The Vicious Cycle of Gaming DRM.
In reality, it seems that some copy protection was actually going forward and providing benefits, such as Valve's Steam platform. The ability and convenience of Steam actually seemed to silence the debate for most products that used it, and even had people happy to trade piracy for a legal copy. DVD backups, instant patch delivery, digital downloads of new titles and DLC - it was like the best features of Xbox Live, without having to be constrained to the console. To this day, it remains (to my knowledge) the least thwarted copy protection system out there. Not because it's largely uncrackable, as Valve often proposes - but because it provided features that make cracking it less valuable. That's right, DRM (Digital Rights Management) provided a real service to consumers - it's a lot better than it used to be.

View
8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

8. Re: Op Ed Apr 28, 2010, 00:06 Jerykk

Assassin's Creed is a stealth game because you can be 10 feet in front of an angry guard, sit on a bench and be perfectly fine.

Don't forget to wear incredibly ornate and bright clothing that makes you completely stand out from the crowd as well.

I think Arkham Asylum was at least a bit more of a stealth game, as there were sections where detection at least made the game HARDER.

If you played on Hard, there were a lot of parts where you straightforward combat wasn't really an option because the enemies had guns and could kill you in like two seconds. One of the many problems with AC is that enemies represent no threat. There could literally be 500 enemies surrounding you but because they attack one at a time and you can kill the vast majority by simply holding Block and pressing Counter, there's no reason to be stealthy.

On side note, I wouldn't mind having an open-world and acrobatics/parkour in the next Thief game. As long as they retain the light and sound-based stealth mechanics and don't make Garrett some uber-badass who can instantaneously headshot three enemies at the same time with his bow *coughsplintercellconvictioncough*, I'm all for a little rooftop running.

This comment was edited on Apr 28, 2010, 00:13.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

7. Re: Op Ed Apr 27, 2010, 22:25 rist3903

Assassin's Creed is a stealth game because you can be 10 feet in front of an angry guard, sit on a bench and be perfectly fine.  

6. Re: Op Ed Apr 27, 2010, 16:23 Ant

Thief games had a lot of stealth. I recalled a couple missions/levels in No One Lives Forever (NOLF) as well.  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

5. Re: Op Ed Apr 27, 2010, 14:14 JoeNapalm

Yeah, the first thought that ran through my head was "Assassin's Creed was a stealth game?"

I think Arkham Asylum was at least a bit more of a stealth game, as there were sections where detection at least made the game HARDER. While I enjoyed the first AC (apparently not enough to rush out and get the 2nd one, though) I mostly was sneaky because it entertained me...getting noticed just meant a LOT of killin'...

...not really a problem, since you could kill basically any number of bad guys without breaking a sweat, once you figured out blocking.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

4. Re: Op Ed Apr 27, 2010, 13:14 Wowbagger_TIP

It's been a while, but I seem to remember that Thief punished detection pretty severely, while Splinter Cell didn't punish it as much, but it still made things more tough. AC doesn't really punish it at all. You just run away and try again, or just brute force it.  

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

3. Re: Op Ed Apr 27, 2010, 13:12 Watter

I didn't read the article, but I'm not sure in what universe AC or AC2 can be regarded as a stealth game. Don't get me wrong. I liked AC2 quite a bit (much better than the first), but stealth? Maybe I was playing it wrong or something, but the sneakiest thing you do is walk, instead of run, up to a guard to stab them. If that's the new stealth, then I think we need a different word for it.

Thief 2 still stands as one of my favorite all time stealth titles.

2. Re: Op Ed Apr 27, 2010, 12:29 Jerykk

Assassinís Creed ushered in a new era of stealth action.

Worst article ever. AC is a terrible stealth game. The genre isn't evolving, it's being dumbed down into straightforward action like every other genre. I think it's clear that the author never actually liked stealth games and but loves action games, so therefore the future of stealth must lie in action.

And wtf is "stealth-action" anyway? Those are completely opposite genres. Stealth is about avoiding confrontation and leaving no trace of your existence behind. Action is about shooting dudes in the face and blowing shit up. Completely opposite ends of the spectrum. An action game may have stealth elements (like AC and Batman) but that doesn't make it a stealth game.

I sincerely hope the next Hitman game isn't reduced to being yet another third-person cover-based shooter.

This comment was edited on Apr 27, 2010, 12:36.

1. Re: Op Ed Apr 27, 2010, 10:34 InBlack

Good article on Techgage...not something you can really say about many gaming articles  

I have a nifty blue line!

8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo