Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Trion World Announces MMO Action & RTS Games

Trion Worlds announces their new name to the world, after previously going by the moniker Trion World Network. They also reveal further details on Rift: Planes of Telara, announced as Heroes of Telara, and unveil plans for End of Nations, a new MMORTS game from Petroglyph, offering some End of Nations screenshots and opening both the Rift: Planes of Telara Website and the End of Nations Website, as well as the new Trion Worlds Website. They also reveal more about their collaboration with SyFy, though they are a bit more coy about this, calling their project for the science-fiction television network an action MMO title, and serving up some concept art from the untitled game. Here's more on the two newly announced games:

Trion has also pulled back the curtain on the world’s first premium massively multiplayer real-time strategy (MMORTS) game, End of Nations, which is being developed by Petroglyph Games, the creative minds behind the original Command and Conquer. End of Nations takes warfare to an unprecedented scale, bringing the real-time strategy genre into the online world of connected gaming. In End of Nations, players can choose to engage in solo combat or battle with -- and against -- thousands of other gamers across the gigantic battlefields that make up its persistent world. Gamers develop their own Commanders, build up their headquarters, and deploy a vast array of vehicles, weapons and technologies acquired through combat experience, crafting, and research. End of Nations will be bringing a new class of strategic warfare to PC gamers next year.

The company’s third and most groundbreaking title is currently under development at its San Diego studio, in conjunction with the premier television network SyFy. This action-focused MMO is based on a new intellectual property being developed by both companies, designed to reach a mass audience in a way never before possible. The franchise will debut as both a game and a television show simultaneously, with a shared universe of characters, alien races, organizations, environments, technologies, and more. In this revolutionary connected title, players' actions will influence the course of the show, and events occurring in the show will have consequences in the game. More news and information on this innovative, collaborative project will be coming from Trion and SyFy in the future.

View
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

11. Re: Trion World Announces MMO Action & RTS Games Apr 27, 2010, 13:21 Kxmode

Jackplug wrote on Apr 27, 2010, 03:41:
I just feel that the game will end up having huge groups/factions of people and then it will get boring.

I prefer an rts to start against 1 or 8 players, you cant defend against all sides. I can imagine being stuck between a few huge players who will just pick on the smaller newer players all the time.

The same could be said about Planetside, but many like the gameplay.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: Trion World Announces MMO Action & RTS Games Apr 27, 2010, 03:41 Jackplug

I just feel that the game will end up having huge groups/factions of people and then it will get boring.

I prefer an rts to start against 1 or 8 players, you cant defend against all sides. I can imagine being stuck between a few huge players who will just pick on the smaller newer players all the time.

9. Re: Trion World Announces MMO Action & RTS Games Apr 27, 2010, 03:04 Kxmode

Jerykk wrote on Apr 27, 2010, 02:53:
Works fine for Shattered Galaxy

I guess..? How popular is that game? I've never played it myself so I'm not sure if it's any good.

I'd guess it's very popular in Asia, not so much in the states.

It's a fun game albeit dated graphics with lots of unit customizations. What I remember are the huge zones. You queue up for battle on the borders zone that are adjacent to enemies zones. Once you enter the fight you are joined by other players from your faction. If your side wins, the zone is yours. With ownership you and your faction gains a bunch of perks and whatnot. I haven't played in years so if someone has more recent experience feel free to correct me.

Edit: HOLY SHIT! Check out End of Nations video #3! 51 players on 1 map and counting. That's more than the maximum allowed players on Shattered Galaxy and StarCraft 2 combined!

This comment was edited on Apr 27, 2010, 03:37.

8. Re: Trion World Announces MMO Action & RTS Games Apr 27, 2010, 02:53 Jerykk

I guess..? How popular is that game? I've never played it myself so I'm not sure if it's any good.

7. Re: Trion World Announces MMO Action & RTS Games Apr 27, 2010, 02:48 Kxmode

I don't really see an RTS working in an MMO environment.

6. Re: Trion World Announces MMO Action & RTS Games Apr 27, 2010, 02:01 Sepharo

Something about the third video made it seem like the battles were instanced but on one encompassing "map".  

5. Re: Trion World Announces MMO Action & RTS Games Apr 27, 2010, 01:42 Jerykk

I don't really see an RTS working in an MMO environment. For one, MMOs basically require some of leveling system and being forced to grind to unlock units, structures and upgrades does not go over well (see C&C4). RTS has always been about skill above all else and leveling goes against that. Secondly, with 40+ players on one map, I can't really see there being much strategy or micromanagement. It's a total clusterfuck and will likely boil down to who can pump out the most units the most quickly. Finally, big maps tend to be the least popular in RTS games.

If Petroglyph can somehow make it work, kudos to them. I'm not getting my hopes up, though.

4. Re: Trion World Announces MMO Action & RTS Games Apr 27, 2010, 00:39 Talisorn

Cutter wrote on Apr 26, 2010, 22:49:
Rifts looks pretty good - visuals and art direction at any rate - hopefully it'll translate into a good game.
I got all excited when I saw Rifts. I hoped it was related to the old pen and paper RPG .. but no.

3. Re: Trion World Announces MMO Action & RTS Games Apr 27, 2010, 00:15 The Half Elf

Frijoles if anything I would say it's more like Everquest 2 then WoW, but it looks quite impressive.  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

2. Re: Trion World Announces MMO Action & RTS Games Apr 26, 2010, 23:50 Frijoles

Was thinking the opposite. End of Nations looks interesting. Rift looks WoW-ish due to the content. Hopefully they focus on the gameplay and make it unique. I could really use a new MMO.  

1. Re: Trion World Announces MMO Action & RTS Games Apr 26, 2010, 22:49 Cutter

Rifts looks pretty good - visuals and art direction at any rate - hopefully it'll translate into a good game.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo