Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

New Steam Client Released

Steam News announces the new Steam client is out of beta, and now available. The accompanying update also says the promised Mac client is "coming soon." Here's word:

The 2010 Steam client is now live! The overhaul changes many things about how information is organized on Steam, and makes it easier to do the most important things on the platform, like play games with friends. We wrote up an overview of what's new, so definitely check that out so that you don't miss anything. As we've mentioned, the beta testing went well - participants suggested valuable changes and reported lots of bugs for us to squash.

We're very interested in your thoughts on the new client, so please stop by the forums to tell us what you think.

P.S. This is the first post in the official Steam Blog. It's hard for us to believe we've never had a blog until now. Anyway, watch this space for thoughts from Steam central. Coming soon: Mac!

View
35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

35. Re: New Steam Client Released Apr 27, 2010, 12:51 DG

Dev wrote on Apr 26, 2010, 19:46:
Even if not faster servers, how about enough reserve capacity to handle launch week? They've had tons of big games released on steam (valve games and non valve games), and it seems like EVERY SINGLE ONE, when its released, it slows to a crawl or is stuck on paused download, or whatever.
Its not like they don't have data on how much bandwidth a launch requires.
FLY wrote on Apr 26, 2010, 19:39:
Yeah ok..

How about some FASTER servers, Valve?! Spend some of those millions you are making. Getting capped bandwidth 400kb-800kb is pathetic. You know damn well you are capping the bandwidth.

I remember when Steam used to be fast for downloads. It's bad enough you are charging people the same price as retail for new games. Give people faster servers or they will leave you in droves.

There's something up with the DL's imo. When the Parish was released I was getting it at something silly like 14KB/s while the server stats page showed the UK servers only around half capacity. Switched my locale to Germany and then Holland, similar. At Benelux, however, it jumped up to a little shy of 900KB/s.

If I install something away from launch times though it's not unknown that I'll get about 2,000KB/s. Like just now reinstalled Portal as a test and it hit 2.0MB/s (20Mbit ADSL).

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

34. Re: New Steam Client Released Apr 27, 2010, 04:09 KilrathiAce

In general I am impressed and I do like new changes, however all in all its all the same as old steam as far as functionality.  

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

33. Re: New Steam Client Released Apr 27, 2010, 01:13 NKD

Eh people bitch about any UI change. Any UI change is going to suck in the short term as people grow accustomed to it, then eventually they get used to it and it works fine.

I haven't had any problems with it, but then again all I do with Steam is launch a game or occasionally buy stuff.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

32. Re: New Steam Client Released Apr 27, 2010, 00:19 Prez

I guess I am in the minority when I say that I really dig the new design. I did like the news being readable from the front page, but that's a small thing. My clicking finger works.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

31. Re: New Steam Client Released Apr 27, 2010, 00:12 Dev

StreetPreacher wrote on Apr 26, 2010, 22:02:
Dev wrote on Apr 26, 2010, 19:33:
I said "quick". ... Now you have to click VIEW then QUICK. Two clicks, not 1.
I know what you said b/c after reading your post I went to look and found nothing of the sort. Unless you're using a different version of Steam than me, that option does not exist; there is no Quick option under my View menu. Maybe mine/yours is just special.
My bad, its "small" mode in view menu in the new UI, not quick.

30. Re: New Steam Client Released Apr 26, 2010, 23:34 Zadig

The only change that interests me so far is the "last played" column. I'm hoping it will provide some impetus to go back and finish a few games that I abandoned last year.  

29. Re: New Steam Client Released Apr 26, 2010, 23:06 xXBatmanXx

Seriously! Does it not bother anyone else that the name of the friend in the list and the game aren't separated?

WTF!>?

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

28. Re: New Steam Client Released Apr 26, 2010, 22:35 ViRGE

FLY wrote on Apr 26, 2010, 20:01:
Just purchased Metro 33 on Steam. $49.99
I have 15mb internet speed. No problems with my rig or connection. It's been over and hour and it's still downloading. I'm at 50%.
Isn't Metro 2033 something like 7.5GB? Even at your theoretical maximum, it's still going to be over an hour to download it. So either way driving to the store would have still been faster.

27. Re: New Steam Client Released Apr 26, 2010, 22:25 Caveman

Really? Just the other day I saw it on amazon for half that price, same with assassin's creed 2 and Splinter Cell conviction.

Steam is overpriced as hell, why people bother with that shit is beyond me. Amazon or most other retail sites have discounts for retail PC games almost 24/7.

26. Re: New Steam Client Released Apr 26, 2010, 22:12 Creston

Oh God... an option to divide and sort my games list.

Drool

Party

Creston

25. Re: New Steam Client Released Apr 26, 2010, 22:02 StreetPreacher

Dev wrote on Apr 26, 2010, 19:33:
I said "quick". ... Now you have to click VIEW then QUICK. Two clicks, not 1.
I know what you said b/c after reading your post I went to look and found nothing of the sort. Unless you're using a different version of Steam than me, that option does not exist; there is no Quick option under my View menu. Maybe mine/yours is just special.

Are you seriously telling me that "people" didn't use Servers/settings/support/quick game list from the buttons at top & bottom?? I have a hard time believing that.
Well of course I can't speak for anyone else, but I've never used any of them. I go to Store to buy games, and the Games tab to play them. And maybe a Friends list. That's it. I just figure if they buried some stuff that I never used, maybe nobody else was using it either. *shrugs*

But I like it.

24. Re: New Steam Client Released Apr 26, 2010, 21:35 xXBatmanXx

Ummm, so is there a way to make the names in the list look better? Looks like shit with the player name and the game name all running together....  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.

23. Re: New Steam Client Released Apr 26, 2010, 21:30 CannibalBob

I've been in the UI beta since the start and I love it. Just being able to type in the game so it selects it is worth it alone.  

"If you like it, they will stop making it" - Herblock's Law

22. Re: New Steam Client Released Apr 26, 2010, 21:15 xXBatmanXx

I have NEVER had issues with speed over Steam....you may want to change your server you are downloading from. I recently switched from Chicago to Dallas and almost doubled my speed...  

21. Re: New Steam Client Released Apr 26, 2010, 21:02 Sepharo

I must be in the Bluesnews minority when I say that I'm extremely happy with this new UI.  

20. Re: New Steam Client Released Apr 26, 2010, 20:44 FLY

Me X about a couple hundred thousand others will be next time if Valve doesn't fix this shit proper.  

19. Re: New Steam Client Released Apr 26, 2010, 20:44 Hoop

I have driven to the store before but would never drove a heard of animals down there.
Too much traffic.

Um .. Behind you...

18. Re: New Steam Client Released Apr 26, 2010, 20:40 Kosumo

I COULD have drove to the store and bought a shiny new copy with a nice crisp manual, stopped at BK, stopped at the smoke shop for some cigs, got home, ate, installed the game, and be playing by now.

So why did you not drive to the store then?

17. Re: New Steam Client Released Apr 26, 2010, 20:33 RaZ0r!

deadearth wrote on Apr 26, 2010, 20:19:
My connection is maxed out most times when i try (granted I usually am not downloading at peak times) and I have a 12 MB connection.

Same here, Steam maxes out my 25MB connection most always unless it's like a new big release during prime time. Probably varies on location.

16. Re: New Steam Client Released Apr 26, 2010, 20:19 deadearth

FLY wrote on Apr 26, 2010, 20:01:
I have 15mb internet speed. No problems with my rig or connection. It's been over and hour and it's still downloading. I'm at 50%.

My connection is maxed out most times when i try (granted I usually am not downloading at peak times) and I have a 12 MB connection.

35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo