Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

etc.

Thanks Ant.

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: etc. Apr 27, 2010, 08:34 Verno

I liked it but it did have a lot of stupid grindy random drop type crap. Thankfully it was all optional. It had fucking towns, people, atmosphere and didn't force you down a straight line for 25 hours though. So yeah it was pretty much heads and tails above FF13.

You should check out PCSX2, run FF12 emulated with one of the newer SVN builds, it looks gorgeous.

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Intruders, Coherence, The Rover
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: etc. Apr 26, 2010, 19:06 xXBatmanXx

What are the thoughts on FF12? I am half way through, haevn't touched it since it came out......have to jump back in sometime...probably won't even remember what I am supposed to be doing.  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

14. Re: Rain in Everquest Apr 26, 2010, 13:01 Zadig

ibm wrote on Apr 26, 2010, 05:30:
Yeah the rain in Morrowind was nice, but when I first played EQ hunting in Qeynos Hills (I think that was the zone anyway) became very atmospheric and nerve wracking when it started to rain and the fog descended. Couldn't see the mobs until they were almost in aggro range and the guard towers were out of sight so was difficult to run to safety and of course good luck finding your corpse :)

I remember that from early EQ. The aggro radius of the griffins in North Karana was actually larger than your viewing distance in rain & fog. Your first indication that something dangerous was nearby would be when 1/4 of your health instantly disappeared. Running was hopeless at that point, and so was corpse recovery. It certainly made travel and exploration exciting!

13. Re: etc. Apr 26, 2010, 09:18 Verno

kxmode wrote on Apr 26, 2010, 03:03:
Icewind wrote on Apr 26, 2010, 02:34:
but FF13 isn't that bad

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAA

Wait, I have to catch my breath......

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

You know some people don't share your opinion.

FF13 is pretty much terrible though, he's right. It is the very definition of gloss and glitz over substance. No one is going to remember that game once the visuals are out of sight and mind. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and so on but that doesn't mean that opinion isn't total horseshit

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Intruders, Coherence, The Rover

12. Rain in Everquest Apr 26, 2010, 05:30 ibm

Yeah the rain in Morrowind was nice, but when I first played EQ hunting in Qeynos Hills (I think that was the zone anyway) became very atmospheric and nerve wracking when it started to rain and the fog descended. Couldn't see the mobs until they were almost in aggro range and the guard towers were out of sight so was difficult to run to safety and of course good luck finding your corpse

Since then I've always been dissapointed in weather effects in any mmo I've played since. They're usually far to superficial and have no effect on gameplay. EQ's rain didn't have any technical effect on gameplay of course but it certainly made playing more difficult, which was a 'real' effect at least.

11. Re: etc. Apr 26, 2010, 04:08 Jonny

Prez wrote on Apr 26, 2010, 01:19:
Don't know about the console games on the list, but Spore is definitely a good choice for most disappointing game of the generation. Wow, what a disaster.

No kidding, I'm pretty damn cynical of games after so long buying and playing them (until someone creates a blend of Privateer, Tie-Fighter and X-Com, at which point I'll explode into ridiculous fanboyism) but even viewed with total cynicism Spore was somehow still one of the biggest letdowns in gaming I've ever seen. It baffles me how anyone could have just thrown 5 random casuals together and decided it was the Holy Grail of gaming.

10. Re: etc. Apr 26, 2010, 03:38 Shadowcat

Oh, and it's a sad retrospective of rain in games that doesn't include "Flight Unlimited 3".  

9. Re: etc. Apr 26, 2010, 03:36 Shadowcat

ForgedReality: Wait, there is actual (virtual) rain in the "Hard Rain" campaign? I was completely let down by the effects, because it was just fog and sound, but not actually any representation of falling water. A workmate I discussed it with had the same experience.

I knew that L4D2 was rushed to release and buggy, but I guess there were more bugs than I realised.

8. Re: etc. Apr 26, 2010, 03:03 Kxmode

Icewind wrote on Apr 26, 2010, 02:34:
but FF13 isn't that bad

You know some people don't share your opinion.

7. Re: etc. Apr 26, 2010, 02:34 Icewind

but FF13 isn't that bad

6. Re: etc. Apr 26, 2010, 02:27 House

I agree, Nuts and Bolts was a great game that deserved a sequel.

I also don't understand the criticism of Prince of Persia that you cannot die. Yes, it has very frequent checkpoints, so that a mistake will never set you back more than 30-45 seconds, but that is not equivalent to never letting you fail.

5. Re: etc. Apr 26, 2010, 01:19 Prez

Don't know about the console games on the list, but Spore is definitely a good choice for most disappointing game of the generation. Wow, what a disaster.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

4. Re: etc. Apr 25, 2010, 19:40 derelict koan

You deserved to be disapointed for sucking up the marketing drivel in the first place list guy.  
www.derelictkoan.com - speculative psychosis in trilogy form

3. Re: etc. Apr 25, 2010, 17:00 ASJD

Wow that is a really shitty disappointing games list.

Spore deserves #1, but FF13 isn't that bad, and Killzone 2 and Banjo Kazooie Nuts & Bolts are fucking amazing. That writer is a shithead and non-gamer.

2. Re: etc. Apr 25, 2010, 16:13 ForgedReality

The rain campaign from L4D2 is really, really well done. The rain comes down so hard, it gets hard to see, and it's all, like, misty everywhere, and as you progress through the campaign, it gets wetter and wetter. By the end, the whole place is flooded, and the rain just keeps coming down. It "feels" really cold and unwelcoming.  

1. Re: The evolution of rain in games Apr 25, 2010, 14:45 Sepharo

Nothing more than small screenshots of rain in games. Detailed descriptions would have been nice.

I'll never forget the thunderstorms in Morrowind, truly atmospheric.

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo