Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Derek Smart vs Dave Allen, Part 2

Quest Online reveals a public response to the recent exchange of words between new Quest Online president Derek Smart and deposed developer David Allen. They offer an explanation of the change: "The companyís members also felt the prior administration, headed by Managing Member David Allen, prematurely released an unfinished Alganon product that exceeded anticipated budgets, contained an unacceptable level of performance issues, and failed to adequately distinguish itself from the competition." They go on to praise Smart's smart changes: "Since Smart has taken over leadership, the company has reduced overhead and streamlined operations and Alganon has also gained significant exposure in the gaming marketplace." The article also quotes Derek on Allen's lawsuit: "Mr. Allenís allegations are false and without merit. We intend to vigorously defend ourselves in Court and are confident of prevailing in the proceeding." There is additional commentary on the situation on Smart Speak, Derek's personal blog.

View
42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

42. Re: Derek Smart vs Dave Allen, Part 2 Apr 29, 2010, 17:39 Pankin

^ Elmore Leonard is less prolific.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

41. Re: Derek Smart vs Dave Allen, Part 2 Apr 29, 2010, 12:35 Verno

Real Smart Speak  

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt

40. Re: Derek Smart vs Dave Allen, Part 2 Apr 28, 2010, 09:45 nin

not a drop?

A stroke...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

39. Re: Derek Smart vs Dave Allen, Part 2 Apr 28, 2010, 04:06 zirik

Overon wrote on Apr 23, 2010, 22:13:
I grudgingly admit that I liked reading his posts on bluesnews on the gaming industry.

I just gave him an inch.

not a drop?

38. Re: Derek Smart vs Dave Allen, Part 2 Apr 26, 2010, 20:42 Carson63000

That Guy wrote on Apr 23, 2010, 14:23:
Here are a few more reviews... from people with bit less brown matter on their noses.

http://blog.eldergoth.com/ 2009/10/alganon-nda-lifted-here-are-my-thoughts.html
Thanks for the link to my blog, but as others have already pointed out, that post was not written about the current state of Alganon: it was posted at the point when the NDA was lifted on the closed beta, six months ago now.

I have not checked out the current state of Alganon, and have no particular plans to. Even if they have fixed up everything that I found wrong with the game, it would still be a dull and derivative race/class/level/faction/questgrind MMO, and I've played far far too many of those to be in the market for a new one. If I want my fix of that style of gameplay, World of Warcraft still does it better than anyone else.

37. Re: Derek Smart vs Dave Allen, Part 2 Apr 26, 2010, 10:40 Verno

dsmart wrote on Apr 24, 2010, 16:43:
Well yeah, cut and paste is way faster than typing it all up again. You should try it some time.

You should try keeping your word sometime. Specifically about not posting here ever again. I thought you were a man of your word Derek? Actually I never thought that, I know better but you did claim you were.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt

36. Re: Derek Smart vs Dave Allen, Part 2 Apr 24, 2010, 20:58 creatorswhim

kxmode wrote on Apr 24, 2010, 20:09:
All of us hate the UT3 engine, and yet this engine, bugs and all, gets recycled over and over again in new games. Why?! Why?!

Because it's already been paid for?

This comment was edited on Apr 26, 2010, 23:02.

35. Re: Derek Smart vs Dave Allen, Part 2 Apr 24, 2010, 20:09 Kxmode

dsmart wrote on Apr 24, 2010, 09:35:
I loved this article so much, that I wanted to share it.

The answer is simple--money. Almost every MMOG that releases has the same box cost that WoW had, and charges the same monthly subscription fee. It's much like comparing McDonalds to an Outback Steakhouse. Both are good, and I can enjoy them both for what they are. You get what you pay for with both, and I can honestly say that I feel both are good deals for the money.

Is this person nuts? Mcdonalds has NEVER ever been good!

Regarding Jeff's blog,

If you asked me why I used that same old clunky game engine and why I am still using it, I would give this answer: Because I am really smart and cool and awesome. And if more people emulated me, the game industry would not be near so messed up.

I agree with this except for one small detail. All of us hate the UT3 engine, and yet this engine, bugs and all, gets recycled over and over again in new games. Why?! Why?!

This comment was edited on Apr 24, 2010, 20:42.

34. Re: Derek Smart vs Dave Allen, Part 2 Apr 24, 2010, 16:43  dsmart 

Well yeah, cut and paste is way faster than typing it all up again. You should try it some time.  

Game developers are just human beings who happen to make games for a living. If you want to hold us up to higher standards of conduct, then go ahead
...but don't be surprised if we don't uphold them

33. Re: Derek Smart vs Dave Allen, Part 2 Apr 24, 2010, 11:33 KilrathiAce

Hmm is it me or derek now using comments here as his own blog site?  

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

32. Re: Derek Smart vs Dave Allen, Part 2 Apr 24, 2010, 09:35  dsmart 

I loved this article so much, that I wanted to share it.

It echoes exactly what I said when I got involved in QOL. The game has to find its own niche as that was the only path to survival.

And here is a similar blog post by Jeff Vogel.

Game developers are just human beings who happen to make games for a living. If you want to hold us up to higher standards of conduct, then go ahead
...but don't be surprised if we don't uphold them

31. Re: Derek Smart vs Dave Allen, Part 2 Apr 23, 2010, 23:57 justice7

rooting for Derek myself this time as well.

He's in the right here, and is doing great things with Alganon. who wants another wow clone? No game will ever be able to 'be' a good enough wow clone, so dont bother trying. Go new, a fresh direction...

Nice to see you posting again, DSmart.

30. Re: Derek Smart vs Dave Allen, Part 2 Apr 23, 2010, 22:13 Overon

...but overall I rather enjoy reading his posts on the games industry.
I grudgingly admit that I liked reading his posts on bluesnews on the gaming industry.
I just gave him an inch.

29. Re: Derek Smart vs Dave Allen, Part 2 Apr 23, 2010, 20:39 The Half Elf

As in welcome back to posting on this site.

You guys really need to get over the whole Derek Smart thing. I agree that I don't like his games, and how he presents himself when discussing his games, but overall I rather enjoy reading his posts on the games industry.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

28. Re: Derek Smart vs Dave Allen, Part 2 Apr 23, 2010, 18:45 Overon

And welcome back Derek.
Welcome back? He never left. He's got a google alert on his name. He had to post. His ego compelled him. He will be sending a detective to learn everything about David Allen any time, or maybe it's already been done.

27. Re: Derek Smart vs Dave Allen, Part 2 Apr 23, 2010, 18:30 The Half Elf

Honestly, I'm rooting for Derek in this one. And if you had removed the UI interface, I would have guessed Alganon was done by Blizzard.

I just need some popcorn.

And welcome back Derek.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

26. Re: Derek Smart vs Dave Allen, Part 2 Apr 23, 2010, 17:41 beaves

Hi dsmart!

wanting blue line..

25. Re: Derek Smart vs Dave Allen, Part 2 Apr 23, 2010, 16:18 That Guy

My mistake. Sorry.  

24. Re: Derek Smart vs Dave Allen, Part 2 Apr 23, 2010, 16:07 Kxmode

That Guy wrote on Apr 23, 2010, 14:23:
Here are a few more reviews... from people with bit less brown matter on their noses.

http://tobolds.blogspot.com/2009/10/eldergoth-alganon-review.html

http://blog.eldergoth.com/2009/10/alganon-nda-lifted-here-are-my-thoughts.html

http://hzero.wordpress.com/2009/12/10/alganon-review/

Not exactly glowing praise.

Those links are for Alganon 1.0. Derek's link is for feedback on Alganon 2.0.

23. Re: Derek Smart vs Dave Allen, Part 2 Apr 23, 2010, 16:03 noman

http://tobolds.blogspot.com/2009/10/eldergoth-alganon-review.html

http://blog.eldergoth.com/2009/10/alganon-nda-lifted-here-are-my-thoughts.html

http://hzero.wordpress.com/2009/12/10/alganon-review/

Not exactly glowing praise.

These reviews are for the 1.0 version of the game, which got negative reviews for the most part. The link DS posted had a review based on the relaunched version of the game.

42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo