Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ubisoft DRM Cracked?

Ubisoft's "always on" DRM has been defeated, according to a report on CNET, where they say a playable cracked version of Assassin's Creed II is now in the wild. All new Ubisoft PC games, including AC2, include internet-based validation that has caused problems playing games, but has been described by the publisher as "vital" to its business. It seems a little unusual for a mainstream site like CNET to post updates on pirated software, though Ubisoft's public denial of the previous report that their DRM was cracked has arguably set a precedent for this as a news topic. Thanks Joao.

View
99 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

19. Re: Ubisoft DRM Cracked? Apr 22, 2010, 10:40 Surf

The did remove that SH5 scheme. I think it was called:

Bit Torrent

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: Ubisoft DRM Cracked? Apr 22, 2010, 10:36 Armengar

InBlack wrote on Apr 22, 2010, 10:13:
Well Im not going to speculate on the numbers but I know that as for Silent Hunter 5 theyve got at least 1 lost sale already. Im itching to buy it, but Im not buying until they remove the scheme.

make that 2, SH4 still for me.

Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

17. Re: Ubisoft DRM Cracked? Apr 22, 2010, 10:23 El Pit

My nephew (xbox360 with custom firmware) does not have any problems with the ISOs for the xbox360. ALL of his friends are using xbox' with altered firmwares. Why is it that only the PC gamers are accused of being pirates? Of course, those hacked xbox360 are banned on live - but so what? Since they're cheap, the kids got a "clean" second console for original games and the live stuff.

But, of course, Ubisoft is blind on this eye.

Not that I would have bought the next "Splinter Cell" on PC. I've bought and played all the SC (no, this time not Starcraft! ) titles, but although my heart is bleeding, I won't buy this one. Won't buy it. Doesn't mean I won't play it.

Stealing software is a crime. Selling temporarily non-working products isn't?

Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

16. Re: Ubisoft DRM Cracked? Apr 22, 2010, 10:23 Cutter

The fact that most people can easily forego most Ubisoft games is what really hurts them. The draconian DRM only solidifies people against any potential purchases, whereas without it they very well may have taken a chance on it.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

15. Re: Ubisoft DRM Cracked? Apr 22, 2010, 10:21 Wolfen

Didnt some one say that Ubi said if the DRM is cracked theyd removed the DRM from there games? I REALLY want to play settlers 7 lol.  

14. Re: Ubisoft DRM Cracked? Apr 22, 2010, 10:15 Elessar

Fantastic news. When will these out of touch executives realize they can't bring PC gamers down? Hopefully this will contribute to their enlightenment.  

"You don't get what you deserve, you get what you get."

13. Re: Ubisoft DRM Cracked? Apr 22, 2010, 10:13 InBlack

Well Im not going to speculate on the numbers but I know that as for Silent Hunter 5 theyve got at least 1 lost sale already. Im itching to buy it, but Im not buying until they remove the scheme.  

I have a nifty blue line!

12. Re: Ubisoft DRM Cracked? Apr 22, 2010, 10:10 Verno

Frijoles wrote on Apr 22, 2010, 10:07:
wtf_man wrote on Apr 22, 2010, 09:49:
I don't know what the actual numbers are, we are all speculating... but, my point is that there are probably AT LEAST twice the amount of people that won't buy the game (or play it at all) because of the DRM, as there are "regular pirates" that "might".

If they get to pull bullshit numbers out of their ass for piracy numbers, we get to pull bullshit numbers out of our ass for people who avoid the games due to DRM.

I say it's at least a billion lost sales. Maybe a trillion. Fuck you UBI.

I would also venture that the DRM caused me real life pain and suffering at least on par with listening to country music.

Playing: Dark Souls 2
Watching: Korengal, Legends, Intruders

11. Re: Ubisoft DRM Cracked? Apr 22, 2010, 10:07 Frijoles

wtf_man wrote on Apr 22, 2010, 09:49:
I don't know what the actual numbers are, we are all speculating... but, my point is that there are probably AT LEAST twice the amount of people that won't buy the game (or play it at all) because of the DRM, as there are "regular pirates" that "might".

If they get to pull bullshit numbers out of their ass for piracy numbers, we get to pull bullshit numbers out of our ass for people who avoid the games due to DRM.

I say it's at least a billion lost sales. Maybe a trillion. Fuck you UBI.

10. Re: Ubisoft DRM Cracked? Apr 22, 2010, 10:07 ASeven

Verno wrote on Apr 22, 2010, 09:51:
necrosis wrote on Apr 22, 2010, 09:37:
Verno wrote on Apr 22, 2010, 09:14:
I wouldn't call one month a success story for DRM either as AC2 wasn't exactly lighting the sales charts on fire during that period.
This DRM was not the only cause of this. Something about releasing it 4-5 months after consoles I think did more damage.

I didn't say the DRM was the cause. It's six months late and all of the advertising ended long ago, that's the whole point of why the DRM and piracy are red herrings in this context. Something like Settlers 7 can be reasonably analyzed whereas they've made it difficult at best to figure out reasonable potential gains and losses from this endeavor.

Not to mention ACI was also released way more late than ACII and it still topped the charts, not so with ACII.

As for the crack, a quick google to the usual suspect sites says that the crack is indeed 100%, nobody is having any problems whatsoever unlike SH5.

The text file in the crack is quite interesting though, the cnet site has a link to it.

9. Re: Ubisoft DRM Cracked? Apr 22, 2010, 09:51 Verno

necrosis wrote on Apr 22, 2010, 09:37:
I wouldn't call one month a success story for DRM either as AC2 wasn't exactly lighting the sales charts on fire during that period.
This DRM was not the only cause of this. Something about releasing it 4-5 months after consoles I think did more damage.

I didn't say the DRM was the cause. It's six months late and all of the advertising ended long ago, that's the whole point of why the DRM and piracy are red herrings in this context. Something like Settlers 7 can be reasonably analyzed whereas they've made it difficult at best to figure out reasonable potential gains and losses from this endeavor.

8. Re: Ubisoft DRM Cracked? Apr 22, 2010, 09:49 wtf_man

InBlack wrote on Apr 22, 2010, 09:32:
You might get maybe 5 out of 100 people (who pirate games) to buy em, but does that justify the HUUUUGE price tag attached to getting a complicated online authentication DRM scheme??

Don't forget probably 10 out of 100 lost sales for people that refuse to purchase DUE to the DRM.

7. Re: Ubisoft DRM Cracked? Apr 22, 2010, 09:37 necrosis

6. Re: Ubisoft DRM Cracked? Apr 22, 2010, 09:37 WyldKat

Please Ubi, just remove this mess and I will be completely happy to purchase Settlers 7. It's too good of a game to suffer because of your inane DRM. I feel bad for the developers and all the others who worked hard on these games that will suffer because of lost sales due to draconian DRM. Starforce failed because gamers didn't want it, so will this!  

5. Re: Ubisoft DRM Cracked? Apr 22, 2010, 09:32 InBlack

I think the next step UBi is going to take is obvious. Game critical data will be stored on the server and loaded on the fly. I predict even bigger issues with paying customers, not the mention the huge expenses for server maintainance for Ubi and the massive programming challange in getting the DRM fully integrated with the game (Which again is going to cost a huge ammount of money).

What people at UBi dont seem to understand is that DRM doesnt guarntee more sales. You might get maybe 5 out of 100 people (who pirate games) to buy em, but does that justify the HUUUUGE price tag attached to getting a complicated online authentication DRM scheme??

Wouldnt no DRM be a far cheaper & practical solution?

I have a nifty blue line!

4. Re: Ubisoft DRM Cracked? Apr 22, 2010, 09:30 ViRGE

I would wait a bit before declaring ACII as fully cracked. The group that released the crack is the same group that released the faulty Silent Hunter 5 crack, so there's a question of quality.  

3. Re: Ubisoft DRM Cracked? Apr 22, 2010, 09:21 Paketep

Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory
Protection: StarForce
Time to proper crack: almost 1 year
Consequences for customers: loads of bad working or broken DVD burners
Consequences for Ubi: lost sales

Assassin's Creed 2 / Settlers 7 / etc
Protection: Ubi online stupidity
Time to proper crack: 1 month and a half?
Consequences for customers: not being able to play whenever they want. Games stopped in the middle. For some, being weeks without being able to play the game you paid for (ask around Australia about Settlers 7... still)
Consequences for Ubi: more lost sales, completely lost credibility

Stellar job, Ubi. What's next?.

2. Re: Ubisoft DRM Cracked? Apr 22, 2010, 09:14 Verno

Yeah a group released a proper crack finally yesterday mid afternoon. It is not a server emulator like the previous "community" efforts. I wouldn't call one month a success story for DRM either as AC2 wasn't exactly lighting the sales charts on fire during that period.  

1. Re: Ubisoft DRM Cracked? Apr 22, 2010, 09:11 loomy

obviously it would be cracked. the only thing you can't crack is when critical data is on the server.

and even then you can build a custom server with custom data.

do you want to own your game or just borrow it? make your stand

99 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo