Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ubisoft DRM Cracked?

Ubisoft's "always on" DRM has been defeated, according to a report on CNET, where they say a playable cracked version of Assassin's Creed II is now in the wild. All new Ubisoft PC games, including AC2, include internet-based validation that has caused problems playing games, but has been described by the publisher as "vital" to its business. It seems a little unusual for a mainstream site like CNET to post updates on pirated software, though Ubisoft's public denial of the previous report that their DRM was cracked has arguably set a precedent for this as a news topic. Thanks Joao.

View
99 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

99. Re: Ubisoft DRM Cracked? Apr 28, 2010, 17:28 ^Drag0n^

I have bought every single game I own.

On the other side, I've had a major computer manufacturer rip off a major engineering design for one of their marquee computers, so I know what it's like to have someone rip off something that they have no right to whatsoever.

That said, I have to wholeheartedly agree with those that oppose this method of anti-piracy. It goes beyond preventing theft....it assumes you're guilty, and need to prove yourself innocent, and it interferes with the normal operation of the software under reasonable circumstance. It is reasonable to assume someone would use the game in conditions where a network connection is not available (i.e. during car/bus travel, at an airport, in-flight, at a hotel). Even ProEngineer, a software package that can run over $25,000/seat, allows you to operate their software independant of a network connection. There are better, less restrictive ways to accomplish what they need to in order to deter "casual pirates." It's doubtful that any scheme will prevent those that just want to crack it for the sake of saying they did. For them, it's not about the game, but about something else.

^D^

This comment was edited on Apr 28, 2010, 17:47.

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

98. Re: Ubisoft DRM Cracked? Apr 28, 2010, 10:57 Verno

The values are always the same so I don't really see the problem with any group using them. It's pirate e-cred bullshit anyways. As the protection becomes more advanced it's going to be difficult for groups to differentiate between server emulators being a "crack" anyways. The bottom line is that it's playable.  

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Infamous Second Son, Madden
Watching: Spartan, Possible Worlds, The Changeling

97. Re: Ubisoft DRM Cracked? Apr 28, 2010, 09:40 CythrawL

The PC Warrior wrote on Apr 24, 2010, 23:53:
uh no. they edited the ubisoft launcher library to return the values requested immediately. they didnt steal the server emulator. youre wrong and deceitful, lol.

And where do you think they got those values from?
The Massive community effort that got them for the emulator that are available to everyone who knows for download?

Or you think they did it themselves. If's funny that the values where byte-identical to the values of an unfinished database while it was still being built.

I know what I would rather believe.

If you want to see a REAL crack of this DRM, then check out Razor1911's crack of the Settlers 7

All this DRM did was make people more motivated to get around this stupid protection. If I was a trucker or some such, not being able to play a SINGLE player game without an internet connection is downright stupid if you ask me.

96. Re: Ubisoft DRM Cracked? Apr 26, 2010, 22:08 ASeven

Just a heads-up, Settlers 7 officially cracked.  

95. Re: Ubisoft DRM Cracked? Apr 24, 2010, 23:53 The PC Warrior

ForgedReality wrote on Apr 23, 2010, 20:43:
Haha! I love it. It's been proven that Skidrow merely STOLE the existing server emulator and the values database (an old version no less), changed a couple of things to call it "their crack," then tried to HIDE it by compressing and xoring their work to try to make it harder for others to discover their deception. That's as deceitful as Ubisoft themselves.

uh no. they edited the ubisoft launcher library to return the values requested immediately. they didnt steal the server emulator. youre wrong and deceitful, lol.

94. Re: Ubisoft DRM Cracked? Apr 24, 2010, 03:51 wtf_man

Talisorn wrote on Apr 23, 2010, 20:32:
I am not a shill. I am a developer ... not of games, though I have had my work (which comprised of almost a year of my life) stolen. So you can understand where I'm coming from. If you've never had this happen to you ... you can simply not understand.

I can understand your frustration with piracy.

But at the same time, that doesn't give you (A developer) or a Publisher the right to violate my private property (Machine) with rootkit drivers, ridiculous hoops to jump through in order to use the purchased product license, nor violation of my privacy through phone home-ware.

This is a really bad road that content providers are slipping down.

I understand your desire to protect your content, but don't fuck with my machine or privacy to do so.

I don't have all the answers on how to reach mutual satisfaction between Developers / Publishers and End Users... but from an end user standpoint (And Consumer Rights standpoint), this shit is way wrong.

You (or a publisher) don't buy my Hardware.
You don't buy my OS License.
You don't buy nor maintain my Internet connection (nor the hardware associated with it.
You have ZERO rights to dictate how I can use the product other than restricting that the license is for one machine (or user) running at a time (Depending on how the application is written).
You can't even dictate that I can't run it on an OS that it wasn't designed for (Like Wine and Linux). You can specify that there is no support for running on a platform that the software wasn't designed for... but that's about it.

Especially since most software can't be "Returned for a Refund".

Any type of control you (or a publisher) tries to impose after a legitimate purchase of a license, is a violation of private property laws and consumer rights laws.

Companies can't be the Enforcers. They're too biased.

This comment was edited on Apr 24, 2010, 14:17.

93. Re: Ubisoft DRM Cracked? Apr 24, 2010, 01:59 Jerykk

All I see that they are doing is placing the same restriction you would have on a multiplayer game onto a single player game; and many ... if not all of them ... with multi-player components anyway).

And you don't see any issue with single-player games requiring a constant internet connection for no good reason? I don't really care about consumer rights, I care about logic. There's no good reason why a single-player game should require a constant internet connection. Multiplayer games require online connections because that's the only way you can remotely play with other people. That's a good reason. DRM is not a good reason.

I think a lot of pirates are just spoiled brats ignorant of the repercussions, so yes, I do think some of them were so eager they just bought the game. Maybe on console, maybe on PC, but it works for Ubisoft either way.

If they own a console and were really that eager to play the game, they probably would have bought it for consoles when it came out six months ago. Or played it a friend's house. Or rented it. Sure, it's possible that a PC-only gamer was frothing with anticipation for six months waiting for this console port and that he/she rushed out to stores to pay $60 ($10-20 more than the standard price of PC games) for the game when it wasn't cracked on day one... it's just not very likely. What is likely (nay, firmly established) is that this DRM pissed off potential customers who opted not to buy the game as a result.

This comment was edited on Apr 24, 2010, 02:05.

92. Re: Ubisoft DRM Cracked? Apr 24, 2010, 00:07 StingingVelvet

Sepharo wrote on Apr 23, 2010, 20:16:
StingingVelvet wrote on Apr 23, 2010, 18:44:
How was it useless when it stopped piracy for two months? Do you have sales figures to prove that does not matter, or are you talking out of your ass?
Do you honestly think that pirates went out and bought this game because they couldn't pirate it?

They're likely a bit more informed than the general public about the intrusive must-be-online-always DRM.

I think a lot of pirates are just spoiled brats ignorant of the repercussions, so yes, I do think some of them were so eager they just bought the game. Maybe on console, maybe on PC, but it works for Ubisoft either way. Companies have said for years now that stopping early piracy increases sales... that is all this DRM was meant to do.

91. Re: Ubisoft DRM Cracked? Apr 23, 2010, 22:49 Talisorn

ForgedReality wrote on Apr 23, 2010, 20:43:
Haha! I love it. It's been proven that Skidrow merely STOLE the existing server emulator and the values database (an old version no less), changed a couple of things to call it "their crack," then tried to HIDE it by compressing and xoring their work to try to make it harder for others to discover their deception.
No honor among thieves, huh?

90. Re: Ubisoft DRM Cracked? Apr 23, 2010, 20:43 ForgedReality

Haha! I love it. It's been proven that Skidrow merely STOLE the existing server emulator and the values database (an old version no less), changed a couple of things to call it "their crack," then tried to HIDE it by compressing and xoring their work to try to make it harder for others to discover their deception. That's as deceitful as Ubisoft themselves.

In short, it's true: Assassin's Creed 2 remains UNCRACKED. BUT, it doesn't need to be cracked, as the server emulator reportedly works perfectly. So, hey, good job Ubi for creating a DRM that requires information from the server, but you were short-sighted and underestimating the will of the hacking community. Good luck next time. It's amazing what people can accomplish when they put their minds to it.

This DRM would likely have been more effective had it not required an always-on internet connection. That pissed a lot of people off. If you're going to require that sort of thing, at least let it be a multiplayer game.

89. Re: Ubisoft DRM Cracked? Apr 23, 2010, 20:39 Talisorn

Double post.  

88. Re: Ubisoft DRM Cracked? Apr 23, 2010, 20:32 Talisorn

Prez wrote on Apr 23, 2010, 10:01:
Disagree all you want, but I HATE Ubisoft. I DETEST them! I LOATHE them! I hope every single one of them comes down with severe, perpetual diarrhea!
Prez! I can't help feel you're holding back! Tell us how you REALLY feel.

wtf_man wrote on Apr 23, 2010, 10:02:
Kidding aside... for what it's worth, your views on this do make you look like a Developer or Publisher shill. Sorry.
I am not a shill. I am a developer ... not of games, though I have had my work (which comprised of almost a year of my life) stolen. So you can understand where I'm coming from. If you've never had this happen to you ... you can simply not understand.

Verno wrote on Apr 23, 2010, 10:16:
It's pretty hard to say you're anything else when your "opinion" basically refutes all consumer rights in favor of a business.
See this is what I don't understand. All I see that they are doing is placing the same restriction you would have on a multiplayer game onto a single player game; and many ... if not all of them ... with multi-player components anyway). I just don't understand how what part of this is refuting "all consumer rights". Please explain.

Don't bother coming back with a trite "Well if you can't see it then it's not worth explaining" or "it's already been explained a million times before". If it had, I wouldn't be disagreeing. Actually come up with a rational explanation as to how this "refutes all consumer rights". Please explain.

This comment was edited on Apr 23, 2010, 20:43.

87. Re: Ubisoft DRM Cracked? Apr 23, 2010, 20:16 Sepharo

StingingVelvet wrote on Apr 23, 2010, 18:44:
How was it useless when it stopped piracy for two months? Do you have sales figures to prove that does not matter, or are you talking out of your ass?
Do you honestly think that pirates went out and bought this game because they couldn't pirate it?

They're likely a bit more informed than the general public about the intrusive must-be-online-always DRM.

86. Re: Ubisoft DRM Cracked? Apr 23, 2010, 18:44 StingingVelvet

Verno wrote on Apr 23, 2010, 08:52:
StingingVelvet wrote on Apr 23, 2010, 01:33:
If it takes this long to unlock every game though I don't mind them using it still in the future. If this becomes as useless as SecuROM now though, well... ditch it Ubisoft, you'll only be flogging paying customers.

It was useless the entire time and they were always only flogging paying customers.

85. Re: Ubisoft DRM Cracked? Apr 23, 2010, 10:39 Prez

I'm with Verno and WTF.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

84. Re: Ubisoft DRM Cracked? Apr 23, 2010, 10:16 Verno

It's pretty hard to say you're anything else when your "opinion" basically refutes all consumer rights in favor of a business.  

83. Re: Ubisoft DRM Cracked? Apr 23, 2010, 10:02 wtf_man

Talisorn wrote on Apr 23, 2010, 09:28:
So it's "ignorance, fanboyism and Ubi-asskissing" if I deign to disagree with such learned gentlemen and honestly have an opposing opinion.

Yup.

Kidding aside... for what it's worth, your views on this do make you look like a Developer or Publisher shill. Sorry.

82. Re: Ubisoft DRM Cracked? Apr 23, 2010, 10:01 Prez

Disagree all you want, but I HATE Ubisoft. I DETEST them! I LOATHE them! I hope every single one of them comes down with severe, perpetual diarrhea!

Unless they come to their senses and get rid of the BS DRM, apologize to gamers for having ever used it, and vow to never pull any such crap again. Then I may like them again.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

81. Re: Ubisoft DRM Cracked? Apr 23, 2010, 09:28 Talisorn

Muscular Beaver wrote on Apr 23, 2010, 02:18:
Actually, theres not enough ignorance, fanboyism and Ubi-asskissing here. How about you start adding those, like in the other threads, talisorn?
So it's "ignorance, fanboyism and Ubi-asskissing" if I deign to disagree with such learned gentlemen and honestly have an opposing opinion. I apologise for even thinking of being in such esteemed presences.

Typical arrogant shithead.

80. Re: Ubisoft DRM Cracked? Apr 23, 2010, 08:52 Verno

StingingVelvet wrote on Apr 23, 2010, 01:33:
If it takes this long to unlock every game though I don't mind them using it still in the future. If this becomes as useless as SecuROM now though, well... ditch it Ubisoft, you'll only be flogging paying customers.

It was useless the entire time and they were always only flogging paying customers.

99 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo