Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Supreme Commander 2 Patched

Steam News announces another new patch is now automatically available for Supreme Commander 2, the real-time strategy sequel from Gas Powered Games. The change list is below.

New Features

• Added a warning dialog when a player accesses multiplayer with modified data
  • Adjusted exploit handling for research during game initialization
  • Adjusted exploit handling for hotkey-triggered commands
  • Land AI will default to Air factories faster on non land maps
  • AI will build units from factories that are outside its primary base radius
  • AI platoons will loiter less and instead attempt to move to the best possible place to do damage
  • The starting base locations will now generate less econ threat to the AI causing the AI to more aggressively target buildings outside the starting base locations
  • The AI will more quickly respond to attrition, and retreat appropriately

Fixes

• Fixed a potential crash encountered when entering the game summary screen with an AI present
  • Fixed an issue where the AI could repeatedly queue the same unit (especially transports)
  • Cybran AI will now properly research naval walking

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: Supreme Commander 2 Patched Apr 22, 2010, 19:24 Lord Tea

Sleeeeepy wrote on Apr 22, 2010, 08:08:
they would have been insane to let the release date get any closer to starcraft 2.

so true. Once StarCraft 2 is out no one will give a damn about the greatly disappointing SupCom 2 anymore. Who cares about the AI by the way? Chris Taylor and his cronies are perfectly capable of coding a good game (e.g. SupCom 1, FA, TA) but, as it seems, they have yet to learn the basics about AI programming. Modders are doing a much better job here and modded AIs are widely available for SC1/FA.

This comment was edited on Apr 22, 2010, 19:30.

UPSA = United Police States of America
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Supreme Commander 2 Patched Apr 22, 2010, 12:52 Creston

Sho wrote on Apr 22, 2010, 08:39:
Ventura wrote on Apr 21, 2010, 22:15:
I have to say thanks to Square Enix for it, because at this point you can attribute the original's somewhat poor level of support to the old producer, THQ.

Supreme Commander 1 had a bazillion patches released, too, actually, and with similar frequency in the immediate post-release timeframe.

I remember that very well because the game's audio was royally broken on my X-Fi due to an edge case bug, so I tried every patch until they finally got it working about a year after release.

Supcom was well patched. Forged Alliance received either 1 or 0 patches, I can't remember precisely. There's a fuckton of bugs left in that one that GPG never gave a shit about.

Creston

14. Re: Supreme Commander 2 Patched Apr 22, 2010, 08:39 Sho

Ventura wrote on Apr 21, 2010, 22:15:
I have to say thanks to Square Enix for it, because at this point you can attribute the original's somewhat poor level of support to the old producer, THQ.

Supreme Commander 1 had a bazillion patches released, too, actually, and with similar frequency in the immediate post-release timeframe.

I remember that very well because the game's audio was royally broken on my X-Fi due to an edge case bug, so I tried every patch until they finally got it working about a year after release.

13. Re: Supreme Commander 2 Patched Apr 22, 2010, 08:08 Sleeeeepy

One the one hand I'm impressed with the ongoing support it's received so far, saying this is all stuff that should have been in there is kinda true but also nitpicking since they would have been insane to let the release date get any closer to starcraft 2.

On the other hand though, everything Prez said is spot on, this is not a game I'm interesting in playing (as much as I wanted it to be).

12. Re: Supreme Commander 2 Patched Apr 22, 2010, 06:08 NKD

Lord Tea wrote on Apr 22, 2010, 01:13:
exactly what I thought: if they have to release a patch every week or so then it's a bad sign.

At least they are doing something to the AI this time around. In the first game people wrote their own AIs for the game that were both way smarter and more difficult (even without cheats) PLUS ran far more efficiently. I.e. the game ran faster when the AI had a ton of units or you had multiple AIs running.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

11. Re: Supreme Commander 2 Patched Apr 22, 2010, 06:06 Ventura

I can't say they did the wrong thing from a business standpoint, but from a gaming standpoint, I can easily say that they made a worse game the second time around

I have no comment on which is the better game (each have their pros and cons for me), but it's academic anyway, because the only thing that matters is how many copies they sell.

10. Re: Supreme Commander 2 Patched Apr 22, 2010, 05:19 Prez

They probably figure the "dumbing down" is a small price to pay.

While scores mean little, I have no doubt that the sequel will sell better than the first did. To be fair, the first was basically shoehorned onto a platform for which it was never intended - it was a PC game through and through. The second was a console game with a PC release, so it naturally is a better fit for the 360. I can't say they did the wrong thing from a business standpoint, but from a gaming standpoint, I can easily say that they made a worse game the second time around. Since I don't work for THQ or GPG nor do I have stock in either, that is the standpoint that interests me. I'm a gamer, not a shareholder.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

9. Re: Supreme Commander 2 Patched Apr 22, 2010, 04:49 Ventura

exactly what I thought: if they have to release a patch every week or so then it's a bad sign

It's not like vanilla SupCom's AI was anything to write home about either though.

**Checks Patch Notes. Sees no mention of anything that would reverse the dumbing-down it received as compared the the first. Moves along.**

The first Supreme Commander on the 360 reviewed really rather badly, scoring an average of 56. This one has 76.

They probably figure the "dumbing down" is a small price to pay.

8. Re: Supreme Commander 2 Patched Apr 22, 2010, 03:00 Prez

**Checks Patch Notes. Sees no mention of anything that would reverse the dumbing-down it received as compared the the first. Moves along.**

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

7. Re: Supreme Commander 2 Patched Apr 22, 2010, 01:13 Lord Tea

Creston wrote on Apr 21, 2010, 22:35:
And yeah, while it's impressive how many patches they're putting out, it's basically all been to do stuff that an AI is SUPPOSED to do straight out of the box.

Creston

exactly what I thought: if they have to release a patch every week or so then it's a bad sign.

UPSA = United Police States of America

6. Re: Supreme Commander 2 Patched Apr 22, 2010, 01:11 finga

Creston wrote on Apr 21, 2010, 22:35:
Ouch. It's that bad?

And yeah, while it's impressive how many patches they're putting out, it's basically all been to do stuff that an AI is SUPPOSED to do straight out of the box.

Creston
The story isn't any worse than the first game's, which was of course pretty bad. I can't think of a hell of a lot of RTS games with good stories. And the ones that do usually screw it up with ugly-looking in-engine cutscenes.

5. Re: Supreme Commander 2 Patched Apr 21, 2010, 23:30 eRe4s3r

Well the story hit a really bad nerve with me. Everything was childish non-mature and contrived. I would say typical Anime plot, but that would be an insult to good sci-fi war Anime.  

4. Re: Supreme Commander 2 Patched Apr 21, 2010, 23:07 LittleMe

Is this game $5 on steam yet? sobs  

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

3. Re: Supreme Commander 2 Patched Apr 21, 2010, 22:35 Creston

eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 21, 2010, 22:29:
It doesn't matter though, because at the end of it its still a shallow game with the WORST campaign storyline ever, and thats also thanks to square enix.

At least they fix the AI though, before it was basically totally broken.

Ouch. It's that bad?

Creston

2. Re: Supreme Commander 2 Patched Apr 21, 2010, 22:29 eRe4s3r

It doesn't matter though, because at the end of it its still a shallow game with the WORST campaign storyline ever, and thats also thanks to square enix.

At least they fix the AI though, before it was basically totally broken.

1. Re: Supreme Commander 2 Patched Apr 21, 2010, 22:15 Ventura

I must admit to being really impressed with the amount of support that's been thrown at this game thus far. I haven't had the desire to play much the last month or so, but almost every week it's been like patch this and patch that.

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo