Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ubisoft Uplay Details

Ubisoft announces details on Splinter Cell Conviction support for Uplay, their "online destination available via an in-game interface. The service consists of Uplay Win, Uplay Help, Uplay Share and Uplay Shop, and the Uplay beta launched last year with Uplay Win for Assassin’s Creed 2." Here's a trailer showing how to earn Uplay rewards on a PC or Xbox 360, and here's word:

Uplay Win enables players to collect units based on their actions in the games and exchange them for rewards such as exclusive in-game content or digital items. Uplay Win Units can also be gathered across a variety of Ubisoft titles which are currently available for the PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system, Xbox 360 and PC.

In Splinter Cell Conviction, only available on Xbox 360 and Windows PC, exclusive in-game content such as a SCAR-H assault rifle and access to the Infiltration Game Mode are among the rewards offered through Uplay Win. For those who don't want to redeem their units right away, they can save them to use on many more upcoming Ubisoft titles.

View
53 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

53. Re: Ubisoft Uplay Details Apr 22, 2010, 14:56 Kxmode

Muscular Beaver wrote on Apr 22, 2010, 03:36:
The sad thing is, right now in Germany 3 games with such a DRM are in the TOP 4 of the sale charts.
AC2, Settlers 7 & C&C4...

Because Germans aren't smart. They elected Hitler. Look where that got them?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

52. Re: Ubisoft Uplay Details Apr 22, 2010, 14:10 JohnnyRotten

everyone wrote on Apr 22, 2010, 07:46:

Here's a pretty simple standard: If the drm used prevents someone from playing their legally purchased game, it's too intrusive.

Win

51. Re: Ubisoft Uplay Details Apr 22, 2010, 14:04 JohnnyRotten

Sempai wrote on Apr 21, 2010, 09:57:
Fuck Off.

I think this is going to be a common sentiment for anything UBISoft does from now on. They've run out feet to shoot themselves in, and are now working their way up to the head...

This comment was edited on Apr 22, 2010, 14:10.

50. Re: Ubisoft Uplay Details Apr 22, 2010, 12:37 Jerykk

Did you miss the whole "Console gamers are braindead retards who are ruining my gaming for the sake of sales." thing that comes up in every comment thread?

Except that isn't posturing, it's established fact.

49. Re: Ubisoft Uplay Details Apr 22, 2010, 07:46 everyone

I bet the same people arguing that this type of drm is unobtrusive, are the same people that didn't see a problem with having to call up and ask to play their legally purchased game once their limited number of activations were used up.

Here's a pretty simple standard: If the drm used prevents someone from playing their legally purchased game, it's too intrusive.

This comment was edited on Apr 22, 2010, 10:54.

48. Re: Ubisoft Uplay Details Apr 22, 2010, 05:58 spindoctor

Eventually 'hardcore PC gamers' will whine themselves out of the market and the hobby itself.  
Some of the most miserable and unhappy gamers on the planet are at Bluesnews

47. Re: Ubisoft Uplay Details Apr 22, 2010, 05:55 NKD

Well, I wouldn't call this DRM "intrusive" either. It's not intruding on your machine in that it's installing some rootkit and causing problems. Somewhat objectionable on principle, but it's far less intrusive than irrevokable activations, or shit that fraks your DVD drive up permanently.

It would be an ideal form of DRM in terms of balancing hinderance to pirates vs hinderance to legit users if the servers weren't vulnerable to DDoS attacks from the anti-DRM crowd.

Don't get me wrong, I think DRM is a pointless waste of time and effort, and any DRM is going to have some level of inconvenience. But I'm also not going to pretend like this DRM would affect me in any significant way. The odds of there being significant downtime that coincides with exactly the moment I want to play their title is pretty small.

Maybe my perspective is skewed because my Internet is relatively stable. But even if I had crap Internet, it would be a lot better than some shitty rootkit crashing my machine every hour. And maybe my perspective is also skewed because I am an MMO player who is used to having to connect to the Internet to play.

I'd rather they used no DRM at all, but if they are going to use DRM, I prefer this over the alternatives.

Muscular Beaver wrote on Apr 22, 2010, 03:36:
The sad thing is, right now in Germany 3 games with such a DRM are in the TOP 4 of the sale charts.

I've said it before: No one cares about DRM outside of a vocal minority. Most aren't aware of DRM, and the ones who do know about it aren't going to bypass playing an otherwise great game because of it.

In the end I think having annoying DRM will only harm really shitty titles. The great games will be immune to little blacklisting campaigns because the ratio of people who just have to play versus those willing to not play is just so huge. While more mediocre games people are just looking for an excuse not to buy it, and DRM will provide that excuse.

Prez wrote on Apr 22, 2010, 02:34:
Take your arrogant posturing and pretentious, superior attitude and kindly stick it where the sun don't shine, if you please. I for one have gotten utterly sick of it.

You realize you're on Blue's right? This is home of arrogant posturing and pretentious superior attitudes, at least as far as PC gaming is concerned. Did you miss the whole "Console gamers are braindead retards who are ruining my gaming for the sake of sales." thing that comes up in every comment thread?

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

46. Re: Ubisoft Uplay Details Apr 22, 2010, 05:48 Talisorn

Prez wrote on Apr 22, 2010, 02:34:
<snip>

Take your arrogant posturing and pretentious, superior attitude and kindly stick it where the sun don't shine, if you please. I for one have gotten utterly sick of it.
a) I'm not sure it will fit. It's pretty damn big.

b) Then you can understand how I feel about all the whining then.

45. Re: Ubisoft Uplay Details Apr 22, 2010, 03:36 Muscular Beaver

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

44. Re: Ubisoft Uplay Details Apr 22, 2010, 02:34 Prez

And you'd can hardly call this form of DRM as intrusive.

Wrong. I can easily and factually call this DRM intrusive. Just because you refuse to admit it (self-delusion through rationalization at its finest) doesn't make it less intrusive. You are connected to Ubioft's server the entire time you play. Without that connection, you will not play. (At least not until the pirates, the ironic saviors of PC gaming it would seem, right that wrong). That's all I need to say. That is the height of intrusiveness. As far as I am concerned, that part of the argument is over and done with. Moving along...

And if the insults your talking about is the "whiny bitches" remark, come off it! This place is hardly the place you go to for a balanced viewpoint when it comes to issues like this? The only people I've seen complain more about some issues is the "No Mutants Allowed" mob. But don't worry too much; the Blues crew is not even in their league.

So acting all arrogant and painting everyone who disagrees with you as "whiney bitches" or whatever other ad hominem, all-encompassing attacks tickle your fancy is the mature rational response in the face of such behavior in your mind? So much for rising above I suppose. It would seem rather hypocritical to be angry at a group of people for doing something and then joining in with the same manner of behavior, but no one ever recognizes their own flaws - they always just want to point out everyone else's. Part of the human condition I guess. A person of true noble character would not stoop to the behavior they find untoward.

Yeh, Jerykk. I know your stance on piracy. I personally find your stance reprehensible, but that's just my opinion. I don't think anything will deter you from your "wicked ways" you unless you get personally get ripped off in the same way. Even then I'm not sure you'd make the connection.

Jerykk is a popular target for the self-righteous vehemently anti-piracy crusaders on these boards simply because he tends to flaunt it more than anyone else. But the fact of the matter is I do the exact same thing (I will not speak for others, but I would not be surprised to find that many, many others also do the same). I WILL pirate Assassin's Creed 2 once I am 100% sure the DRM is completely defeated and the game can be played completely without an internet connection. You know what I'll do then? I'll buy the game. I don't really care with self-proclaimed champions of righteousness on these boards like you think about it, nor do I care if you believe me or not when I say that I have NEVER downloaded a game that I did not pay for, EVER. To me, the only thing more sickening and nauseating than companies like Ubisoft treating their customers like garbage is people like you and others who actually defend them for it, downplay bad behavior on their part, and then turn around and belittle other more rational and clear-thinking people who do not accept such treatment. If something is running far too rampant on these boards, this is what it is in my view.

This comment was edited on Apr 22, 2010, 02:47.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

43. Re: Ubisoft Uplay Details Apr 22, 2010, 02:01 Jerykk

Yeh, Jerykk. I know your stance on piracy. I personally find your stance reprehensible, but that's just my opinion. I don't think anything will deter you from your "wicked ways" you unless you get personally get ripped off in the same way. Even then I'm not sure you'd make the connection.

So... what does any of that have to do with Ubisoft deterring customers with this DRM? As this thread makes perfectly clear, a lot of people won't buy Ubisoft's games because of this DRM. People who don't have reliable internet connections won't either. So what exactly is the upside of this scheme? It's already been cracked (and was successfully bypassed weeks ago). Assassin's Creed 2 wasn't exactly setting the sales charts on fire before all this, either. So what's the point? You lose potential customers and slightly delay pirates, all in the naive hope that some of these pirates will rush out and buy the game at full price.

You may feel righteous, burning indignation at the act of piracy but don't let that cloud your logic. This DRM is a waste of time and yet another poor decision on behalf of Ubisoft.

42. Re: Ubisoft Uplay Details Apr 22, 2010, 01:18 Talisorn

Prez wrote on Apr 22, 2010, 00:01:
Anyone pirating games should be ashamed.

Anyone who defends such paranoid and intrusive DRM that shows such disrespect to paying customers ought to be ashamed as well, but you're too busy playing Ubi-apologist and casting mass insults.
Ubi-apologist? Did you read my last post? Didn't I say it was poor form on their part to blame users for the Settlers 7 debacle? Didn't I say they had poor-QA?

And you'd can hardly call this form of DRM as intrusive. It adds 5 seconds to the starting of the game. That's it! Intrusive is loading drivers onto your machine and screwing up your optical drives. Intrusive is opening security holes in your operating system. Intrusive is NOT applying the same restriction that you would require for a multiplayer game, regardless if it's single player or not.

And if the insults your talking about is the "whiny bitches" remark, come off it! This place is hardly the place you go to for a balanced viewpoint when it comes to issues like this? The only people I've seen complain more about some issues is the "No Mutants Allowed" mob. But don't worry too much; the Blues crew is not even in their league.

Jerykk wrote on Apr 22, 2010, 01:03:
And how many potential customers did it deter from buying the game? I know I'm one and I know several others on this forum are as well.

This comment was edited on Apr 22, 2010, 01:26.

41. Re: Ubisoft Uplay Details Apr 22, 2010, 01:03 Jerykk

Anything that combats or slows down the rampant piracy that is killing the PC gaming industry is a good thing, as long as it's not harmful or obtrusive.

The thing that's killing the PC gaming industry are the relatively low sales due to the mainstream focus on consoles. Stopping piracy won't change that. Not that this DRM will ever do that. In fact, it was officially cracked (as opposed to bypassed) today. I suspect Ubisoft's upcoming games will be cracked much more quickly since the hackers already know what to do. If Ubisoft wants their DRM to continue slowing down pirates, they'll have to constantly revamp it and I'm pretty sure the amount of time and resources necessary for that won't be worth it.

The fact that it's taken this long has deterred a few "day one pirates" who may well have gone out to buy the game instead.

And how many potential customers did it deter from buying the game? I know I'm one and I know several others on this forum are as well.

This comment was edited on Apr 22, 2010, 01:12.

40. Re: Ubisoft Uplay Details Apr 22, 2010, 00:01 Prez

Anyone pirating games should be ashamed.

Anyone who defends such paranoid and intrusive DRM that shows such disrespect to paying customers ought to be ashamed as well, but you're too busy playing Ubi-apologist and casting mass insults.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

39. Re: Ubisoft Uplay Details Apr 21, 2010, 23:09 Talisorn

Overon wrote on Apr 21, 2010, 22:48:
Talisorn: tell that to the people on the settlers 7 ubisoft forum. They can't play and after ubisoft did the standard blame game, "it's your firewall", "it's your router", "it's your isp", ubsisoft finally posted that they have technicians working on the problem(s). When the problem is not your firewall, your router, or your isp and you pay 60 bucks for a game, it's fucking inexcusable to not be able to play it because of draconian DRM authentication does not work for them.
Oh ... I completely agree with you. But that kind of problem is EXACTLY the same as if there was a serious bug in the core gameplay that affects only a sub-set of users. Those problems are not a fault of the core design. It's a fault in the QA/testing process that let these kinds of bugs through; it's very poor.

And it is shameful that any company would blame the user's setup for it as well. PC games should cater for all PC environments (within the specs and within reason) ... not just the ideal setup.

This kind of problem is not unique to DRM. How many times have people complained on forums that they "can't get Game X working on PC Y" and other posters howl them down that it's their fault. Funny that when the bug is in DRM, it's immediately NOT their fault ( ... which it shouldn't be anyway).

38. Re: Ubisoft Uplay Details Apr 21, 2010, 22:48 Overon

Talisorn: tell that to the people on the settlers 7 ubisoft forum. They can't play and after ubisoft did the standard blame game, "it's your firewall", "it's your router", "it's your isp", ubsisoft finally posted that they have technicians working on the problem(s). When the problem is not your firewall, your router, or your isp and you pay 60 bucks for a game, it's fucking inexcusable to not be able to play it because of draconian DRM authentication does not work for them.  

37. Re: Ubisoft Uplay Details Apr 21, 2010, 22:16 Talisorn

Flatline wrote on Apr 21, 2010, 18:29:
Talisorn wrote on Apr 21, 2010, 18:02:
The DRM isn't going anywhere. They're even leveraging off it to give a reason to be online, adding enticements to play through the games and get "free stuff" if you complete achievements.

All your moaning has achieved nothing except make you look like a bunch of whiny bitches. Just build a bridge and GET OVER IT ALREADY.

I disagree strongly. It took years, but the rootkits that used to represent the popular form of DRM have fallen out of favor specifically because of consumer complaints and how it eventually cut into sales.
The difference is that Rootkits were causing damage, either physical (such as Starforce) or opening security holes in the operating systems (such as the one used by Sony). Ubisoft's DRM does not cause damage (at least that we know of). If you can prove it does cause damage, I'll drop it like a tonne of bricks, like I did with Starforce.

Until then "Awww ... but I don't like it" is all you've got. Sure, that's your choice and you can own that. For me, it's no different than the MMO's I play so often so it's no big impost on me. And I don't believe your "fight", "resistance" or what ever you want to call it ... that's a load of bullshit in my opinion. Anything that combats or slows down the rampant piracy that is killing the PC gaming industry is a good thing, as long as it's not harmful or obtrusive.

36. Re: Ubisoft Uplay Details Apr 21, 2010, 19:58 Overon

BTW, as of earlier today, AC2 was offically cracked! The special note to Ubi is funny.

Special Notes
Thank you Ubisoft, this was quiete a challenge for us, but
nothing stops the leading force from doing what we do. Next
time focus on the game and not on the DRM. It was probably
horrible for all legit users. We just make their lifes easier.
I just posted that before you. Does anyone read anyone's elses comments anymore?

35. Re: Ubisoft Uplay Details Apr 21, 2010, 19:37 Talisorn

Sempai wrote on Apr 21, 2010, 19:09:
Darks wrote on Apr 21, 2010, 18:33:
BTW, as of earlier today, AC2 was offically cracked! The special note to Ubi is funny.

Special Notes

Thats pure win.
Actually it's not. The fact that it's taken this long has deterred a few "day one pirates" who may well have gone out to buy the game instead.

The statement above is justification for a bunch of low-life thieves who just want to steal from the mouths of developers. The statement is pure fail. Anyone pirating games should be ashamed.

34. Re: Ubisoft Uplay Details Apr 21, 2010, 19:09 Sempai

Darks wrote on Apr 21, 2010, 18:33:

Special Notes

Thats pure win.

53 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo