Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

John Romero's Unreal Engine Project

John Romero tweets about his quest to hire experienced Unreal Engine 3 coders to work on an "Exciting IP" (thanks VG247). Word is: "I'm looking for Unreal 3 experienced coders. Lead, server & client engineers. Send your resumes to john@gazillion.com. Exciting IP involved." It's funny to see JR tweeting as The Romero, a phrase coined right here a whole bunch of years ago.

View
38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

38. Re: John Romero's Unreal Engine Project Apr 26, 2010, 10:41 Verno

His username is fairly apt. He definitely forges his own version of reality, unfortunately he also hits the post button after doing so.  

Playing: Alien Isolation, Legend of Grimrock 2, Super Mario 3D World
Watching: A Good Marriage, The Knick, Gotham
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

37. Re: John Romero's Unreal Engine Project Apr 22, 2010, 08:49 NKD

ForgedReality wrote on Apr 21, 2010, 15:28:
"Hey, look! We added a stroke shader to our game. :D" Other than that, it's still the same game.

You're joking right? Other than the fact that it's a first person shooter, it has little in common with other UE3 games. It's not just Mass Effect with a "stroke shader."

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

36. Re: John Romero's Unreal Engine Project Apr 22, 2010, 00:01 wtf_man

ForgedReality wrote on Apr 21, 2010, 11:40:
No AA. Ugly, smooth, shiny everything. Bad physics. Game devs: Please stop using this annoying, crappy engine.

Well... the smooth / shiny everything is in a lot of engines... turn off HDR and Bloom. That's the first 2 things I turn off in every game... and it's nice performance savings.

35. Re: John Romero's Unreal Engine Project Apr 21, 2010, 19:33 Eldaron Imotholin

Tanto Edge wrote on Apr 21, 2010, 16:14:
Seriously though, why more developers don't explore the CryEngine I don't know, but I suppose given what comes packaged with the U3 Engine, it's hard not to pass up.

There's something about the CryEngine I find extremely distasteful. Maybe it's the fact that my top-notch $1000,- new PC couldn't run the damn game on DX10 with everything maxed out.

I might be shortsighted to some, but I feel like this: If the hardware on the market isn't ready for the graphics, don't fucking make a game with that engine.

I never got into Crysis. But then again, I think that game just sucked ass bigtime. Whatever engine it would've used.

Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
Future: Dead Space 3.

34. Re: John Romero's Unreal Engine Project Apr 21, 2010, 16:52 Mr. Tact

I didn't know about the BitchX IRC...

I thought it was a reference to the gaming industry rumor mill website, which was run by someone calling themselves BitchX which used to reside at:

http://www.gaminginsider.com/

It was pretty entertaining when it was active.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

33. Re: John Romero's Unreal Engine Project Apr 21, 2010, 16:43 ForgedReality

zirik wrote on Apr 21, 2010, 16:14:
you described gears of war!
Along with both Bioshocks, the last several Splinter Cells, etc.. There are some that I'm forgetting.

32. Re: John Romero's Unreal Engine Project Apr 21, 2010, 16:14 Tanto Edge

It's not the engine that creates the game.

If Romero thinks he has something, all the more power to him. I'd love to see him actually succeed.
I'd love to see DNF actually ship as well, but then I'm full of dreams.
(sorry, was that sarcasm? let me just wipe that up)

Seriously though, why more developers don't explore the CryEngine I don't know, but I suppose given what comes packaged with the U3 Engine, it's hard not to pass up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

31. Re: John Romero's Unreal Engine Project Apr 21, 2010, 16:14 zirik

ForgedReality wrote on Apr 21, 2010, 11:40:
No AA. Ugly, smooth, shiny everything. Bad physics. Game devs: Please stop using this annoying, crappy engine.

you described gears of war!

30. Re: John Romero's Unreal Engine Project Apr 21, 2010, 16:11 zirik

cant wait for the next KILLCREEK to show up in front of romeros office. we need another slut dev. one that will be listed as another upcoming legend in gaming history by pc gamer magazine. lol.  

29. Re: John Romero's Unreal Engine Project Apr 21, 2010, 15:28 ForgedReality

The Half Elf wrote on Apr 21, 2010, 13:19:
Yeah cause Borderlands looks exactly like every other Unreal Engine game out there... Dammit developers QUIT MAKING THE SAME GAME!
"Hey, look! We added a stroke shader to our game. :D" Other than that, it's still the same game.

And it's rather average.

28. Re: John Romero's Unreal Engine Project Apr 21, 2010, 14:54 nullability

Hopefully Rage will blow UE3 out of the water, but at least Romero isn't repeating the mistake of waiting for Carmack to finish his next engine.  

27. Re: John Romero's Unreal Engine Project Apr 21, 2010, 14:41 Steele Johnson

Bring on Daikatana 2!  

26. Re: John Romero's Unreal Engine Project Apr 21, 2010, 14:40 Kxmode

kxmode wrote on Apr 21, 2010, 12:21:
"BitchX Engine®. It will make you one!­™"

I am, of course, referring to the infamous ad. Besides, I think calling a gaming engine BitchX sounds cool.
http://www.industrygamers.com/galleries/opinion-video-game-ads-gone-wrong/7/

This comment was edited on Apr 21, 2010, 14:46.

25. Re: John Romero's Unreal Engine Project Apr 21, 2010, 14:36 Wolfen

Ruffiana wrote on Apr 21, 2010, 14:07:
As a level designer I think UE3 is great. I hear on the other hand its a nightmare for programmers.

I've never known a programmer who thought an engine wasn't a nightmare to work with...unless it was an engine that they'd written.

Eh true. Once "some" get used to an engine they dont complain.

24. Re: John Romero's Unreal Engine Project Apr 21, 2010, 14:07 Ruffiana

As a level designer I think UE3 is great. I hear on the other hand its a nightmare for programmers.

I've never known a programmer who thought an engine wasn't a nightmare to work with...unless it was an engine that they'd written.

23. Re: John Romero's Unreal Engine Project Apr 21, 2010, 13:19 The Half Elf

Yeah cause Borderlands looks exactly like every other Unreal Engine game out there... Dammit developers QUIT MAKING THE SAME GAME!  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

22. Re: John Romero's Unreal Engine Project Apr 21, 2010, 13:10 bfg9000

yep a linux one  

21. Re: John Romero's Unreal Engine Project Apr 21, 2010, 12:55 ForgedReality

Wasn't BitchX an IRC client..?  

20. Re: John Romero's Unreal Engine Project Apr 21, 2010, 12:34 Mr. Tact

The BitchX site finally went away.. after still idle for years. Too bad. Anyone know who that really was? (even if you do, it's probably not a name I would recognize)  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

19. Re: John Romero's Unreal Engine Project Apr 21, 2010, 12:21 Kxmode

"BitchX Engine®. It will make you one!­™"  

38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo